• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

The Good that Men do. Week 3 - March 17 - 23: Chap. 37 - the end

Started by Rico, March 18, 2008, 06:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Comments about the last part of the book in this thread.  I'm still really enjoying it.  About 90 pages left for me so I will post more when I'm done.

billybob476

I'm about half way through rigth now. I'm not sure why but I'm having a lot of trouble getting into this book. The characters are true to themselves but I am having a lot of trouble following the story of Trip's mission. He goes to find this warp scientist, finds out he was kidnapped against his will and now is trying to being him back to the romulan military? Does't make a whole lot of sense.

EDIT: I guess what I'm trying to say is that so far the whole premise of this book doesn't sit very well with me.

wraith1701

I thought the book was great; it felt exactly like a continuation of the series.  What I enjoyed most wasn't the resurrection of Trip, though; it was the look into the beginnings of the Romulan War and subsequent birth of the Federation.  For me, this whole time period is kind of like Star Trek's 'Clone Wars'--  we know the outline of the story, but no one has bothered to flesh out the details.  Hopefully, the Enterprise books will continue to fill out the story.

QuoteI'm about half way through rigth now. I'm not sure why but I'm having a lot of trouble getting into this book. The characters are true to themselves but I am having a lot of trouble following the story of Trip's mission. He goes to find this warp scientist, finds out he was kidnapped against his will and now is trying to being him back to the romulan military? Does't make a whole lot of sense.

The scientist was kidnapped by a right-wing extremist group of Romulans.  Trip is trying to Kidnap the scientist from the original kidnappers, to prevent him from falling back into the hands of Valdore and the Romulan Empire.   Starfleet is afraid that once the Empire gets their hands on him, his warp field theories will give the Romulans an unbeatable edge and lead to the Romulan domination of the Alpha Quadrant. 

billybob476

wraith1701

I guess the federation doesn't just want to deprive the Romulans of the new warp tech, they want to develop it for themselves.  Kind of how the US 'imported' German scientists towards the end of WWII to help with its nuclear weapons program.

Rico

Quote from: billybob476 on March 18, 2008, 08:04:16 AM
So why not just kill him and get it over with?

Because Trip isn't a killer.  Section 31 wouldn't have a problem with it, but Trip does.  I've found this to be a great book for a number of reasons.  The authors did a great job weaving a story about Trip, the start of the Federation and the Romulan war threat.  This would of made a great set of episodes for Enterprise and a much better ending to the series.

billybob476

Well guys, sorry to say I had to give up on this book yesterday. I think circumstances (very heavy workload until this week, getting the book late etc) caused me to read it discontinuously (a few pages at a time here and there) and I haven't been able to follow the story at all.

I'll have to give this one another go in the near future.

jedijeff

I am just about finished this book, another 40 or so pages to go. My travelling kind of slowed me down a lot on it. To be honest, The first hundred pages or so were a bit of a tough read for me, but after that, this book really took off and was a lot of fun. If you pick it up in the Future Billybob, I think after you get to about chapter 10 or 11, you will find it more interesting. I know the first time I attempted this book a few months back, I ran into the same issue as you did, but the second time much better

Rico

Finished the book today.  Really enjoyed it.  A very enjoyable read and much better ending for Trip.  Hope they do more along this line.

jedijeff

I finished this book, and overall I was happy with it. I did find the start to be a bit slow, and like mentioned in some of the other threads, rewatching the final few episodes of Enterprise would have helped. But I found after the first hundred pages or so, that it really got going, and was a fun read. Not really sure though on how I feel about the ending of the book. They left it with Trip going on more section 31 missions, I guess for myself I was hoping he would come back into the fold again. I really hope there are more Enterprise books, as I always felt the series was stopped way to short, and would like some continuing missions.

wraith1701

I'm not sure if I heard it on the podcast, or read it somewhere, but I think an Enterprise book is in the works called Kobayashi Maru.  It is about the famous incident that inspired the Starfleet Academy scenario we first hear about in The Wrath Of Khan.