Previous topic - Next topic

What should the next book be for the Treks in Sci-Fi book Club

The Red King (Star Trek: Titan, Book 2) by Andy Mangels and Michael A. Martin
3 (30%)
Hard Contact (Star Wars: Republic Commando) by Karen Traviss
0 (0%)
Forged in Fire (Star Trek: Excelsior) by Michael A. Martin , Andy Mangels
0 (0%)
The Good That Men Do (Star Trek: Enterprise) by Andy Mangels , Michael A. Martin
7 (70%)
Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Duffster

Vote away, targeting the week of March 3rd
Duffster is, The HugoNaut
www.thehugonaut.com

wraith1701

Voted for The Good That Men Do.  Based on comments made by the authors in Rico's podcast, some big things are on the horizon for the Enterprise line of books, and this seems like the perfect jumping on point.  And if I understand correctly, this book corrects the shoddy (IMHO) style in which the Enterprise series was ended.  I'm interested in seeing what happens, and will read the book regardless of whether or not it wins the vote.

jedijeff

I am trying to decide which to vote for, I would like to Vote for the Red King or the Good that Men Do, as I want to read both of those with book club. decisions, decisions :)

Jobydrone

Just a quick note to let you know I really disliked the Red King.  Thought it was quite a bore, could barely bring myself to finish it. 
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

Bryancd

Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on February 21, 2008, 03:41:16 PM
Just a quick note to let you know I really disliked the Red King.  Thought it was quite a bore, could barely bring myself to finish it. 

I have been bitting my tongue, but since you brought it up, "Red King" was not so good. The most recent Titan novel was much better.

wraith1701

I thought Red King was probably the weakest Titan book so far, but I enjoyed it.  I'll avoid going into what I liked about it for fear of spoiling it for those who haven't read it yet.

Orion's Hounds and Sword Of Damocles were much better books, but I'm not sure that folks would feel comfortable skipping Red King. After all, it tied up the loose ends left over from Taking Wing and helped further develop the characters.  Some of the most satisfying moments in the later books (Especially Sword Of Damocles) wouldn't have had the same effect if we hadn't had the chance to get to know the characters.

Jen

I voted for the Good Men do. I'll read it again... I really liked it.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

billybob476

Rico

I would give this until Monday morning (Feb. 25) and then close the poll.  That will give folks about a week to get the book.

wraith1701

Hope I'm not jumping the gun, but I just picked up The Good That Men Do.  Looks like it's going to be a pretty good story..

Captain BJ Wanlund

Also voted for The Good That Men Do.  Now for the delicate matter of actually picking that book up...

BJ
Love Star Trek TOS & TNG (never really got into DS9, Voyager, or Enterprise).  Also love Star Wars (everything save for the prequels...), and Indiana Jones, and ElfQuest, basically anything remotely SF or fantasy is my bag, tho I tend more towards SF than I do fantasy.