• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Our Next President

Started by Geekyfanboy, January 21, 2008, 12:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PepperDude

Blackride one of those articles was published in 1909!  Some people noticed the low population growth problem back then. I agree with you: we don't want to end up like Europe. Man, that'd be bad.

Dan M

This has been an amazing conversation, and I've never been a member of any Internet community where it could have happened and remained civil.

I'm a fiscal conservative.  I need what little money I make and would like the federal gov't to take only what is needed.  Socially, I don't want that government telling me how to live my life.

I'm pro-choice, because there are already too many unwanted children.  I'm pro-death penalty, because some people need to die.

So, there's no one candidate or party that fits me well. 

I think Hillary is monumentally, historically awful.  I'd vote for a woman, just not that one.  Huckabee scares me.  I think Romney is as phoney as Obama is unqualified.  Edwards is an empty suit with a nice haircut.  I'd vote for Lieberman if he was running.  I wouldn't mind McCain winning the presidency, but I don't see it happening.

Jen

Quote from: Kinglinksr on January 21, 2008, 07:51:07 PM

Just one thing you stated about the woman thing.  You said: In the POLLS she's doing well.....honestly, I do not listen to polls at all.  They are biased and/or not commonly correct.  I prefer to let voting happen and THEN I consider that a poll.  Only then do I think about it.  Its why the bush thing is total crud.  We voted him in so OBVIOUSLY we wanted him in. 

And trust me, I don't think she has the support of women that people give her credit for.  I know many of my closest (female & male) relatives do not support her one bit.  I honestly do not think she will win.  Period.  Too many remember her husband, she's too polarized, and she's just too darn ugly!!!  THATS RIGHT!!  hahahahahaaha sorry.  Couldn't resist it, but truly, how many guys/girls vote on pure beauty?  Don't be shy haha.  ;) ;) ;)

Just yanking.  ;)

King

I can't believe I'm arguing for Hillary. Esh... I need to just stop. Buuuuut.... It's not just the polls. There's something called caucuses and primaries going on right now, it involves voting.

Hillary got 30% of the vote in Iowa

as of January 19th In Nevada Clinton 51%

Projected Winner in Michigan 55%

Projected Winner in New Hampshire 39%

It's more than polls King.... and truthfully, many of our presidents would make a freight train take a dirt road... I doubt that looks always play a role in who gets the vote. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder anyway. It's rude to even joke about what she looks like; many women are sensitive about that sort of thing.

Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Jobydrone

I'd love to see Hillary and Obama on the same ticket, with Obama as Hillary's VP.  Seems to me that would be an automatic win for the Democrats.  I was a big fan of Bill Clinton and felt that during his two terms our country seemed to be doing better than I can ever remember fiscally, socially, and politically.  I'd love a return to that kind of political environment again. 
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Bryancd

Obama won't take a VP slot. He has built up too much political clout and want's to keep that in the bank. He wan't the top spot and will be in a better position to get it even as far out as 8 years from now.

Blackride

Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on January 22, 2008, 05:52:25 AM
I'd love to see Hillary and Obama on the same ticket, with Obama as Hillary's VP.  Seems to me that would be an automatic win for the Democrats.  I was a big fan of Bill Clinton and felt that during his two terms our country seemed to be doing better than I can ever remember fiscally, socially, and politically.  I'd love a return to that kind of political environment again. 

The Tech boom had a lot to do with that. Give the govt. credit for staying hands off for a while. I will say that in 2000 the writing was on the wall for the market to drop. There was no way it could sustain that growth.
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Bryancd

Quote from: Blackride on January 22, 2008, 06:45:36 AM
Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on January 22, 2008, 05:52:25 AM

The Tech boom had a lot to do with that. Give the govt. credit for staying hands off for a while. I will say that in 2000 the writing was on the wall for the market to drop. There was no way it could sustain that growth.

Not to derail the topic too much, but Clinton does get a little too much credit for the economic prosperity of the '90's, low marginal tax rates resulted in a lot of reinvestment in the economy which drove growth forward. The end of that boom actually began in 1999, as I saw technology prices and companies like Enron start to fall. Clients just didn't really begin to sell in earnest until 2000.

The IC

I am Republican and I am not happy with any of the candidates.  The meaning of the word Republican has been completely re-written by the current party leadership as it has disturbingly crawled in bed with the hard-line conservative religious leaders, no longer believes in fiscal responsibility, hugs a quasi-fascist anti terror campaign, and is too quick to engage in military action to "solve problems".

I am more of an Eisenhower Republican - I believe in fiscal responsibility, a more responsible foreign policy (no war with Iran), and making sure that we can take care of our citizens that most need help.  I do not believe in the death penalty, I believe that marijuana should be legalized, and I believe that we have an obligation to breakup the military industrial complex.  War is very good for business, but at too high of a cost in human lives. 

I am very concerned with the erosion of our rights, and the direction that we have taken as a nation.  The current administration is fueled by one thing: Fear.  They are trying to scare us into giving up our freedoms in the name of security.  We are doing exactly what Bin Laden wanted us to do.  We have played into his game.

That being said, I support the military action in Afghanistan, but oppose our military action in Iraq.

Bush II has been a complete disaster for this nation and the party. 

That is my opinion.

X

Quote from: Jen on January 22, 2008, 04:33:54 AMI can't believe I'm arguing for Hillary. Esh... I need to just stop. Buuuuut.... It's not just the polls. There's something called caucuses and primaries going on right now, it involves voting.

While I would agree that Hill seems to be winning the states, she's not winning as many delegates as Obama is. She's capturing more population centers and thus higher votes, but he's taking home more counties and delegates than she is right now.

X

I would also to point out that as much as I dissagree with Dubba, the recession and all of the big business stuff that came to light on his watch did not happen solely on his watch. Big business was playing the shell game well into the Clinton era and one of the main problems with the strength of the dollar and the folding of the giants were simply discovered after Bush came into office.

Bryancd

Well, the dollar weakness has actually been an underlying part of Bush's economic policy combined with massive liquidity via low interest rates. That made for cheap goods to buy for consumers and a house in every pot which helped to hide defecit spending brought on by foriegn policy, for right or wrong.
But again, this is a thread about the next President of the US and we keep getting side tracked.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Bryancd on January 22, 2008, 09:18:09 AM
Well, the dollar weakness has actually been an underlying part of Bush's economic policy combined with massive liquidity via low interest rates. That made for cheap goods to buy for consumers and a house in every pot which helped to hide defecit spending brought on by foriegn policy, for right or wrong.
But again, this is a thread about the next President of the US and we keep getting side tracked.

Yea we do seem to do that.  Final comment on Jen's post and anything to do with Hillary.  True that she seems to have some support.  And I guess I need to slap myself in the face and realize those are pretty realistic views of people's thoughts about her.  However, its only a couple states.  She may win the primaries but she'll never win the election.  Funny enough, Republicans are hoping she'll win the Primaries so we can squash her in the election.  Honestly, there is not enough support for her to win the election unless the republican guy is not loved at all.  We will see.  It can still go either way. 

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

KingIsaacLinksr

And I'm reading my post and confusing myself....I jumped the fence like three times.  Lets hear it for decisiveness!!  lol

King 
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

X

Quote from: Bryancd on January 22, 2008, 09:18:09 AM

Is it off track? I mean ... I consider all of these things when deciding who I want to endorse for President. Sure people might think that I have only one vote, but every person I picked for Prez has been sworn into office ever since the reign of Bush I. They aren't always the people I would personally pick, but I can always tell a winner.

I think the issues are a key part in understanding the voting pattern of the person and helps for others to understand if not accept their political positions.

Bryancd

For sure, X, it's just that we can't vote for Bush or Bill Clinton, so a review of those economic policies, success and failures, isn't as germane to the original topic.