• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Our Next President

Started by Geekyfanboy, January 21, 2008, 12:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Blackride on January 21, 2008, 03:20:46 PM
I am a hardcore Republican and want McCain. I think he has a nice track record and also tells it like it is. He is know for pissing people off instead of going with the flow. I am not really a Romney fan as I do not like his tactics attacking Hucabee.

Kenny, I do have to say one thing and take it for what it is worth being I am a Republican and all. I think there is a general mis-conception that most Republicans are anti-gay, which I do not think is quiet accurate. It is more accurate imo to say the Republicans are anti-gay marriage. I think there is a huge difference in this as saying that Republicans are anti-gay really places a "scarlet letter" around our necks which I think is unfounded. I hope this comment does not offend you and I really do not want to get into a discussion on why the Republicans don't think gay's should marry. That is not my intention of this comment. It was mearly an attempt to make sure that there is a distinction made between anti-gay and anti-gay marriage.

I am also a hardcore fiscal Republican and I can't stand the Clinton ideas on the economy nor do I like Bush's stimulus package. Both are way to short-sighted. We need to focus on the long-term and ignore the media pushing ( talking ) us into a recession.

All I'm saying, is that I have to agree with this.  There is a difference in what we don't want.  I'm also saying, this is not the topic of discussion nor do we need one. 

Quote from: Bryancd on January 21, 2008, 03:23:36 PM
Yes, Bush has been the worst fiscal Republican of all time. He spends like a drunken sailor on shore leave.

Sadly, I have to agree with you.  He was semi-good to good in his first term.  His second went from good to absolutely terrible. 

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Blackride on January 21, 2008, 03:20:46 PM
Kenny, I do have to say one thing and take it for what it is worth being I am a Republican and all. I think there is a general mis-conception that most Republicans are anti-gay, which I do not think is quiet accurate. It is more accurate imo to say the Republicans are anti-gay marriage. I think there is a huge difference in this as saying that Republicans are anti-gay really places a "scarlet letter" around our necks which I think is unfounded. I hope this comment does not offend you and I really do not want to get into a discussion on why the Republicans don't think gay's should marry. That is not my intention of this comment. It was mearly an attempt to make sure that there is a distinction made between anti-gay and anti-gay marriage.

When I said Republicans I didn't mean the people in general, I meant the candidates. But with that said you have to understand anti-gay and anti-gay marriage are the same in my eyes.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Just X on January 21, 2008, 03:25:23 PM
Quote from: Kinglinksr on January 21, 2008, 03:09:52 PM
Such as not saluting the USA flag or respecting the Pledge of Allegiance. 

I actually haven't heard this yet. When did he do that? Also, why would he salute the flag when he's not military? I think I might be missing something, so I'm just looking for some clarity.

Its been about a month since this happened, but it happened.  Here is the email I got. 

King

Senator Barack Obama, Governor Bill Richardson, Senator Hillary Clinton and Ruth Harkin stand during the national anthem.
Barack Hussein Obama's photo (that's his real name)......the article said he REFUSED TO NOT ONLY PUT HIS HAND ON HIS HEART DURING THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE, BUT REFUSED TO SAY THE PLEDGE.....how in the hell can a man like this expect to be our next Commander-in-Chief????

KingIsaacLinksr

Remember, after my name, that is the EXACT quote I got in the email.  Not me talking.

King

Geekyfanboy

Yes you got it from an email?? Is there a source for this?? Or just some random email?

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on January 21, 2008, 03:32:22 PM
Yes you got it from an email?? Is there a source for this?? Or just some random email?

There is a source, just let me find it....

King

KingIsaacLinksr

Its from an article on CNN.com.  Sadly, I lost the other email in a purge of my emails but I wrote down the name of the company in my Word Note Software. 

Also, if you don't believe that, its just a little hard to think that this picture is fake.  I will accept that it could be. But as it was the only email I received of its kind (and trust me I get a lot of stuff) I'm somewhat inclined to believe its true.  However, I'll accept that the article could have been false and that I'm in the wrong.

King

Geekyfanboy

I didn't say that you were wrong.. just wanted to know the source. Thanks

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on January 21, 2008, 03:40:06 PM
I didn't say that you were wrong.. just wanted to know the source. Thanks

No problem.  Thats what I'm here for.....sorta

King

X

I wouldn't pay any creed to that. It's obviously an attempt to slander Obama and to bring up his middle name is just an effort to tie his identity to the terror that someone else with the name had.

It's an obvious attack tactic ...

Also did anyone else notice that noone is looking at the flag? Aren't you supposed to face the flag during the pledge?

If anything it shows that none of them know what to do.

PepperDude

Well I'm one of those who lives in the U.S. but can't vote because I'm not a U.S. citizen. At least not yet. Though officially I'm not a citizen, I consider myself an American. I've been here most of life since childhood and cannot imagine going back to and living in Mexico. I simply would not belong or fit in.  I'm going to apply for my American citizenship soon but until I am accepted to become a citizen (I hope I am accepted), I have to stand in the sidelines and watch the primaries and presidential election unfold.

If I could vote, I would most probably vote Republican. Not that I love any of the candidates. Frankly, not one of them is my (or most Republicans') ideal candidate. I would like a real conservative candidate but one who is not socially conservative. Rudy kinda fits that description best.

However, nobody from either party is seriously addressing the issue of energy independence. I believe that is the number one security issue for the nation. But nobody's seriously proposing drastic measures in order for the U.S. to become energy independent. If we didn't have to depend on countries like Iran, Venezuela, Saudi Arabia and Iraq for oil, we wouldn't have to meddle or get as involved with those countries. I can't stand having to give the Saudis and Iranians some of my money when they really don't care about us. Why should the U.S. continue to put itself in a precarious position where it has to depend on an unstable area of the world for energy? Someone needs to propose a serious, workable plan that will take America to energy independence within the next 20 years. It can be done we just have to be willing to make a few sacrifices. . .

But I digress. When I become a citizen I'll vote for whomever seriously proposes energy independence no matter what party the candidate belongs to.

Ktrek

Yes it is true that Obama refused to place his hand over his heart during the Star Spangled Banner. Here is a video that comes from ABC where the picture above came from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxfvxKBXRM4&eurl=http://thinkonthesethings.wordpress.com/2007/11/02/barack-obama-refused-to-say-the-pledge-of-allegiance-youve-been-played-for-

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

X

I swear I heard that rendition on SNL! Still it's funny that none of them appear to be paying attention to the flag. that's just an odd clip that doesn't do any of the canidates any favors.

Geekyfanboy

Who's to say that there isn't another flag that they are saying the pledge too. It is a photo op you would want the candidate to be facing forward.

Bryancd

Regardless of where is hand is, I think Obama is a very dynamic guy but unelectable, not because of his race but lack of true substance. He takes about change but doesn't have a lot of substance behind that and he is very green. That's why i think Hilary will be the nominee and again, I don't see McCain beating her, unfortunately for me and what I would prefer.