• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Vote for the next book

Started by Duffster, January 11, 2008, 04:38:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should the next book be for the Treks in Sci-Fi book Club

Collision Course  by William Shatner, Judith Reeves-Stevens, and Garfield Reeves-Stevens
0 (0%)
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein
5 (71.4%)
Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke
0 (0%)
The Once and Future King by T. H. White
1 (14.3%)
Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton
1 (14.3%)
Lord Valentine's Castle by Robert Silverberg
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

billybob476

jedijeff

Just a few thoughts, since we are reading the first Titan book right now, will at some point down the road be reading the others in the series as well for Book club? Maybe at the end, we can take a poll to see if in the Future, we might read the others, not saying right away or even in the near future, but might be nice to know if we choose not and others want to read the rest on their own.

I see Kevins point about Hardcovers as well, they are a bit more expensive, and not saying they should not be included, but maybe make sure that we do not choose Hardcovers regularly. Every once in awhile is fine, but make sure we also have paperbacks as well. I guess my other thought, is paperbacks are easier to take with you to read, as opposed to hardbacks. Again not against Hardcovers.

Ktrek

It would be cool if we could all read the other three TITAN books. According to the book schedule it seems that there will not be anymore TITAN books until sometime in 2009, but the schedule is always tentative and subject to chage. That said though it seems the schedule is too full for another entry in 2008, but there is some great stuff coming! I'll post another thread about what to look forward to.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

wraith1701

I actually started The Red King yesterday.  I'm liking this series! ;D

psikeyhackr

I have only read 2 of those books but a sci-fi book list just has to have Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

NO FANTASY!!!    :roflmao

psik
Andre Norton does it better than J.K.Rowling

Rico

Make sure to get your vote in on this.  I think the voting period will be ending very soon.

Duffster

Lol, you posted as I was going to mention that we should close the poll in the next or so... Get your votes in.
Duffster is, The HugoNaut
www.thehugonaut.com

Rico

I'd set an end date to it Duffster.  Since this is the last week on the Titan book.

Duffster

Voting ends today at 3:00...get your vote in.
Duffster is, The HugoNaut
www.thehugonaut.com

wraith1701

Vote cast.  It looks like it's going to be Heinlein. 

Ricardocameron

I know the vote is ended, but have you guys considered Victor Vinge's 'Rainbow's End'

http://www.amazon.com/Rainbows-End-Vernor-Vinge/dp/0812536363/ref=si3_rdr_bb_product
Set in San Diego, Calif., this hard SF novel from Hugo-winner Vinge (A Deepness in the Sky) offers dazzling computer technology but lacks dramatic tension. Circa 2025, people use high-tech contact lenses to interface with computers in their clothes. "Silent messaging" is so automatic that it feels like telepathy. Robert Gu, a talented Chinese-American poet, has missed much of this revolution due to Alzheimer's, but now the wonders of modern medicine have rehabilitated his mind. Installed in remedial classes at the local high school, he tries to adjust to this brave new world, but soon finds himself enmeshed in a somewhat quixotic plot by elderly former University of California–San Diego faculty members to protest the destruction of the university library, now rendered superfluous by the ubiquitous online databanks. Unbeknownst to Robert, he's also a pawn in a dark international conspiracy to perfect a deadly biological weapon. The true nature of the superweapon is never made entirely clear, and too much of the book feels like a textbook introduction to Vinge's near-future world.

or Orson Scott card's 'Ender's Game'?
http://www.amazon.com/Rainbows-End-Vernor-Vinge/dp/0812536363/ref=si3_rdr_bb_product

Ender Wiggin is a very bright young boy with a powerful skill. One of a group of children bred to be military geniuses and save Earth from an inevitable attack by aliens, known here as "buggers," Ender becomes unbeatable in war games and seems poised to lead Earth to triumph over the buggers. Meanwhile, his brother and sister plot to wrest power from Ender. Twists, surprises and interesting characters elevate this novel into status as a bona fide page turner. It captured the Nebula and Hugo Awards.
www.GoldenRetrieverErrands.com
"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man, and let history make its own judgment." ~Dr. Zefram Cochrane

"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible." -Arthur C. Clarke