• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Trekkie Claims Auctioned Prop Was a Fake

Started by Ktrek, December 28, 2007, 09:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ktrek

Ummm...somehow this does not surprise me.

QuoteTrekkie Claims Auctioned Prop Was a Fake
Dec. 28, 2007, 7:04 PM EST
The Associated Press
NEW YORK -- A Trekkie who paid $6,000 for a poker visor that was supposedly worn by the android Data on the television show "Star Trek: The Next Generation" claims in a lawsuit against Christie's auction house that the prop is a fake.

Ted Moustakis, of Towaco, N.J., said he began to doubt the authenticity of the visor and other items he purchased at an auction of CBS Paramount props in 2006, after he brought it to a convention in August to have it autographed by the actor who played Data, Brent Spiner.

According to the lawsuit, Spiner recognized the visor as the one that had been sold by Christie's and told Moustakis that it wasn't the real deal. The actual visor had been sold by the actor himself some time ago.

Moustakis, who became a Star Trek fan at age 7, said he was humiliated.

"I thought this was a great piece of memorabilia to have, and I was so proud to get it," he said.

Christie's spokesman Rik Pike stood behind the authenticity of the auction and said the disgruntled buyer's case had no merit.

The lawsuit, filed in state court in Manhattan, demands millions of dollars in punitive damages and a refund for the visor and two other items Moustakis bought at the 2006 auction: a table that was part of a set on "The Next Generation" and a uniform that was in Data's wardrobe. Moustakis said he paid $6,600 for the table and $11,400 for the uniform.

He said that, upon close inspection, the table doesn't look like the ones that appeared the show, and the uniform appeared to be one of several made for the program, not a one-of-a-kind, as Moustakis believed it to be.

"They defrauded collectors, fans, honest people," said Moustakis' lawyer, Richard Borzouye. "It's negligent misrepresentation."

Calls and e-mails to CBS Paramount weren't immediately returned.
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

KingIsaacLinksr

Wow....that is truly uncool....congrats Paramount....congrats.

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

jedijeff

Interesting thread about this on the Replica Prop Forum, with good points for both sides. There is a partial description of the item from the auction that said it was made for Brent Spiner, but from the small description does not say it was screen worn. So the bidder may have assumed it was screen worn. I guess a person could make the argument that Christies could have made the description more direct considering that a lot of fans and people not familiar with auctions would be bidding. I suspect the Millions of dollars they are suing for is more for publicity then actual damages.

wraith1701

The Ferengi would say:

Rule 218- Always know what you're buying.

Rule 19- Satisfaction is not guaranteed.

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: wraith1701 on December 29, 2007, 09:33:01 AM
The Ferengi would say:

LOL.. that is perfect!!!!

Jen

Quote from: wraith1701 on December 29, 2007, 09:33:01 AM
The Ferengi would say:

:roflmao
Yeah, he should have bought a copy of The Rules Of Acquisition before attending the auction.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

wraith1701

moyer777

You know, if I was going to bid such a huge amount of money on something, I would check it out before I bid on it.  After watching how they prepared the auction with Michael and Denise I don't really think they were trying to rip people off.  Of course, there are probably multiple props just in case one doesn't work out or gets broken.  I don't know.  I feel bad for the guy, kind of.  But suing for millions?  Come on. 

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Blackride

I am a prop buyer and all I can say is sometimes you have to trust the seller. Even big production companies make mistakes on the items they sell as I have had it happen to me. You have to understand that some of these items that are put into storage are not always labeled correctly or at all until they go to sell them. I do not think it is done on purpose at all nor do I think someone should sue for it.
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Rico

I'm positive this isn't a fake item at all.  The Okudas went through everything that went up for auction.  What people who don't know how TV and props work don't always remember is most items have multiple versions of them made.  Some are shown on screen more than others.  One big example of this is Luke's lightsaber from "Return of the Jedi."  The prop he used for most of the filming is not the one shown in close up when Vader is holding it.  That was the "hero" prop and looks quite a bit different than the saber he used most of the time.  So much so Master Replicas is finally making this so called version 2 saber that should be out in a month or two.  If the prop in question wasn't even certified as screen used this guy doesn't have a prayer in court.

Blackride

Quote from: Rico on December 29, 2007, 01:12:02 PM
If the prop in question wasn't even certified as screen used this guy doesn't have a prayer in court.

Yeah, it's really not going to hold up.

I really should post some pics of my "real" prop collection.

Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Ktrek

Quote from: Blackride on December 29, 2007, 01:36:19 PM

I really should post some pics of my "real" prop collection.

Yea do that! I'm sure we would all love to see your collection!

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

space_invader64

Remember the green poker visor that Data would wear?  Well a collector paid good money for it at the Christies Star Trek auction along with a uniform and poker table.  He took it to a con to get it signed by Brent Spiner only to find out that it was fake.  Brent had sold the actual prop himself and told Christies not to sell it.

So now he is sewing Christies as well as CBS Paramount over the deal.

http://www.artinfo.com/articles/story/26473/trekkie-sues-christies
http://www.pr-inside.com/star-trek-fan-sues-over-fake-r366295.htm

wraith1701

Yeah; those auctions can be kind of tricky.  I think the bidder did receive an actual Trek Prop.  But like someone pointed out  (Rico, I think) - it was probably one of several versions of the visor created for the episode.
  Here is another thread that was covering this-

http://www.treksinscifi.com/forum/index.php?topic=3746.0

space_invader64