• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame screws up again!

Started by space_invader64, December 27, 2007, 06:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

space_invader64

They announced the class of 2008.

Leonard Cohen
The Dave Clark Five
Madonna
John Mellencamp
The Ventures

Here are some eligable acts who have NOT been inducted!

KISS
Boston
Rush
The Turtles
Alice Cooper
Ted Nugent
Deep Purple
The Steve Miller Band
Ringo Starr
Steppenwolf
Meat Loaf
The Stooges
Grand Funk Railroad
Joan Jett & The Blackhearts
Kansas
Kool & The Gang
Styx
Three Dog Night
War

The only one I see in the 08 class I think is really deserving of the honor is John Mellencamp.  Look at some of the others. Madonna? Really?  Why on Earth is she more Rock and Roll than the others I have listed?

davekill

To bad about Chicago being unofficially banned.
A lot of deserving bands won't be considered again this year.
The main criticism is that the nomination process is controlled by a few individuals.

The online petition in favor of Chicago is:
http://www.petitiononline.com/chifans/petition.html

PepperDude

I don't know much about classic Rock but I'd think that KISS and Kool and the Gang would already be in the Hall of Fame.   :confused

Rico

I don't think this is just for Rock & Rollers anymore - if it ever was.  And there is no denying that Madonna has made a big impact on music (I personally like her stuff).  I'm a big fan of Chicago as well.  But these things are like any award, always very subjective.

Blackride

Well at least the ceremony is going to be in Cleveland again this year. The way it was supposed to be.....
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

wraith1701

Quote from: davekill on December 27, 2007, 09:20:33 PM

Why were they banned?

I can't believe that so many deserving artists were passed up!
Anyone know what the criteria for being selected are?  Am I missing something?

space_invader64

Critics have always hated KISS.  They hated them with a passion!  They never got to play on Saturday Night Live.  When Eric Carr (drummer) died in 1991, Rolling Stone ignored his passing.  Didn't think it was news worthy.  Even though they sold out the largest stadium in the world by themselves and billboard has them selling more gold records than any other American band. 

The fans adore the band and take major offence to them being kept out.  They have been eligible since 1998.

The Hall of Fame is no doubt inducting on personal taste if you read the list of inducted acts.  Prince Michael Jackson were brought in before anyone on the list above?!  No doubt Nirvana will be a shoe in the first year they are eligible.  And personally, I never cared for their music.  I always listened and felt like it was boring and gloomy.  I like music that makes me happy!

Jen

Like her or not... Madonna has been successful since her first album and she continues to produce music that sells. She is still working and successful, unlike many of the people on the list.  She markets herself well and has a huge fan base. She's not my favorite singer but she's very good at what she does and I think she deserves the honor. I predict the next in line will be Steppenwolf, Kansas, Joan Jett and KISS.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

space_invader64

I also know a member of the Turtles and really wish they would be honered.  They really deserve it in my opinion.

Ktrek

There's only one group I care about getting into the Hall of Fame and they consistently get snubbed just like Chicago does. During their day (1969 - 1976 and again from 1980 - 1990)they sold more records and sold out more stadiums than any other bands and have one of the most loyal fan bases of any band out there.

YES

Enough said!

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

davekill

Quote from: wraith1701 on December 28, 2007, 05:56:44 AM
Quote from: davekill on December 27, 2007, 09:20:33 PM

Why were they banned?

I can't believe that so many deserving artists were passed up!
Anyone know what the criteria for being selected are?  Am I missing something?
I read that HOF judge Jann Wenner has held a grudge for years regarding an interview with Chicago that appeared in the Rolling Stone.
Can't find that story again, but check-out these comments
"2 words will keep Chicago out of The Hall of Shame. Jann Wenner. Jann and his temper tantrum over an interview, will keep one of the most deserving bands of all time out."
http://www.futurerockhall.com/artist.php?artist_id=Chicago

space_invader64

And yet they inducted the Sex Pistols with their total disrespect of the Rock and Roll hall of fame.

jedijeff

To be honest I have never really paid much attention to the Rock and Roll hall of fame. Most of the bands I grew up listening to, or still listen to, would never be considered, so I don't see inclusion as any great benchmark in my eyes. I think some of the bands may feel the same as well. Last year, only part of Van Halen showed up, and not even the part that is still in the band. So I am not sure if it is a great honour as some would think.

space_invader64

Jeff, were you a platinum blonde fan?  It's fun for me to discover Canadian bands simular to the American bands I used to listen to.

jedijeff

Quote from: space_invader64 on December 30, 2007, 10:38:10 AM
Jeff, were you a platinum blonde fan?  It's fun for me to discover Canadian bands simular to the American bands I used to listen to.

I did have a few of their records when I was growing up. They had a cool sound and a cool look. Standing in the Dark was one of those records where pretty well every song was really good.