• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Remastered "Star Trek" Effects Compilation Video

Started by Rico, December 08, 2007, 01:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Geekyfanboy

Wow.. that was fantastic.. I haven't seen many of the enhanced episodes.. that was great. Thanks for posting rico.

KingIsaacLinksr

Wow, I haven't been able to see enhanced episodes either.  Very very cool!!

King Linksr
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

davekill

I've read some folks resent any change to the original series, and to each his own.
I'm really liking the new computer generated effects - their awesome!
I don't see anything wrong with improving the intent of the original series episodes.
The fx bring new life to the tech side of Trek which totally supports the character's stories.

Some people prefer the use of models miniatures to 100% computer generated.
On that point I'm not sure - miniatures do look pretty cool.  :wub

wraith1701

Very nice!  I didn't know that the new effects shots were so spectacular!  I think I might just have to pick up the box set. :)

Rico

Keep in mind this is just a small portion of the work they have been doing on the episodes.  Lots more in the episodes themselves.

Ktrek

Thanks for the link there Rico but I have to say I'm not impressed with most of the shots. I have seen several of the remastered episodes and in my opinion it is a very mixed bag. Too many of the sfx look CGI and considering the money that Paramount has I think they could have done better. I have seen far better and more effective sfx on Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis and with more consistency. Sorry if that rocks the boat of all the fanboys (and I use the term as being one myself and not in derision) but that's just my opinion. I'm not saying anyone else has to agree with it. I prefer to watch the original effects campiness, cheesiness and all. At least I know that in 1966 they did the very best they could. I can't say the same for the 2006 remastered sfx.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Rico

I respect your opinion but I would have to say most fans I have spoken to disagree - myself included.  There is one thing you might not be aware of.  When they did these effects they intentionally didn't want them to be as whiz-bang as say the "Transformers" movie.  They were looking to enhance the effects but not make them so jarring as to disrupt the original shows.  I have read and listened to several interviews with the folks that worked on the new effects and it was a fine line for them to blend these new effects into shows filmed 40+ years ago.  Also, if you haven't viewed the new effects on the actually HD-DVD's on a good HDTV then you are not getting the full image resolution.  YouTube is a poor substitute (or even broadcast TV) for the HD versions.  Again, you are certainly welcome to your view, it's just not one I share.

Ktrek

I have seen them on an HDTV Rico and as I said I think they are a real mixed bag. The ship shots around the planets etc. are mostly fine and decently done but shots like the shuttle launches etc are just too CGI looking for my taste. I think that even the CGI remake of Gerry Anderson's Captain Scarlet series had better images in many instances. I know that many on here may hold a different opinion than mine and that's OK with me. I just personally find the new effects more distracting than enjoyable. I had high hopes and maybe my expectations were just too high, I don't know. I do have to say that the live action segments on HD are vivid and quite nice but to tell you the truth I can hardly see much difference with the HD picture and the DVD picture of the two episode sets upconverted. At least not enough to purchase them. I still contend that the colors are off and too rich and not natural. There is too much red in the faces and I don't like having to adjust my set every time I watch something. Anyway, take it or leave it those are my thoughts.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Rico

Watching them via standard broadcast on an HDTV - is not watching them in true HD.  That's what I was saying.  There is a difference.  I love the original effects but also enjoy these new ones as well.  But again, to each his own.

P.S.  I point you to the HD screencaps topic I posted yesterday.  You can find those caps over at trekcore.com if you don't feel there is a difference between the DVD and HD versions.  To me there is a huge difference.