• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Good News/Bad News for SciFi on TV

Started by Geekyfanboy, December 06, 2007, 02:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

Variety is reporting that it was a good news/bad news week for NBC Universal's geek-centric programming, as the SCI FI Channel's miniseries "Tin Man" chalked up record highs but once-hot Peacock drama "Heroes" concluded its latest season with a ratings yawn.

As we reported earlier, "Tin Man" surpassed every viewing record ever made for the SCI FI Channel garnering an average 5.3 million viewers each night of the 3-day event. And, those viewers were in that very important demographic we are always talking about, as well as showing a 50% female audience for the miniseries.

While the early "Heroes" finale episode titled "Powerless" had no problem winning its timeslot on Monday night, overall viewership was still down compared to previous weeks and last season's finale. NBC is blaming the lower numbers on the fact that this finale came earlier than usual because of the continued writer's strike. However, the numbers for the once top-of-the-heap program have been showing a steady decline since season two began in September.

The good news for NBC is the performance coming from its other Monday night SF show "Chuck." The ratings continue to slowly, but steadily climb, the story is improving significantly and the cast is starting to get their sea legs. "Journeyman" was preempted by a special 2-part episode of the highly successful cop drama "Life." "Life," normally a high rater also showed signs of weakness in that Monday 10PM slot, so NBC might want to consider that the problem with "Journeyman" isn't the show, but the night and time period. Part 2 of the "Life" episode aired on Wednesday night, its regularly scheduled timeslot. "Journeyman" will return next week for the beginning of its mid-season finale, which will also be a two-parter. There is still no official word coming out of NBC if the Kevin McKidd time travel drama will get a reprieve and return for a full first season outing after the scheduled month long holiday break.

Jen

Poor Heroes. Why is it doing poorly? Isn't it supposed to be popular among the mainstream? Do those viewers just have short attention spans or does the show itself have problems?

My friend Angela and I recorded Tin Man... We're waiting to watch it together so we can start recording our thoughts/comments for future podcasts. I've been trying to stay away from the "Tin Man" thread for that reason. It doesn't surprise me that 50% of the audience were women—I know I grew up singing "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" in the bathtub. I'm sure I'm not alone. :)
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Geekyfanboy

I'm not sure why Heroes is falling in ratings. I'm still loving it and enjoyed every episodes. If I had to guess I would say that they did start off the second season pretty slow and had only a few fast pace episodes during it's run. I think they tried to spread themselves to thin.. to many new characters. We spent an entire year getting to know season one characters and then suddenly they are secondary characters and these new characters who were less interesting got more screen time. Or it could be the newness of the series wore off. Viewers now a days do have shorter attention spans. If a show isn't exciting every single minute then folks give up on it... it's pretty sad. We are losing some really good story telling series for quick in your face ones.

Blackride

As you guys know I have been less than happy with the show this year. I am sticking with it but that does not mean I am all that thrilled. I feel that the show is going to have real problems though since the audience may be narrowed to only hard core SciFi-type fans. I know most of my friends who were casual viewers totally stopped watching Heros and Lost.

Here is hoping that next year starts out with a bang and get critical acclaim and possibly some good press to pull the casual viewers in.
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Rico

What bugs me is some people (and networks) are so quick to point fingers at a show that is still doing quite well in the ratings.  "Heroes" is still winning it's timeslot.  One trouble is when you kind of have an early hit like a "Lost" or "Heroes" there is no place left to go but down.  People are a bit fickle in their viewing habits, especially in these days of DVD's, online TV show reruns or iTunes, etc.  There are many chances to see these shows again and that impacts ratings.  I'd also say the strike has messed things up as well this year.

Blackride

I agree with you Rico. The other thing is that maybe some people are getting sick of these shows like LOST and HEROS that string you along for long periods of times with little resolution. I am not saying I feel that way about HEROS but LOST had that problem. I stuck with it but lots fled for the hills after last season.
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

jedijeff

The news about Journeyman is hopeful to me, as maybe they will consider a different time slot for it. As for Heroes, sounds like it has fallen into the same trap as Lost and like you all said, when it starts strong, it has no where to go but down. I think viewers today expect a lot each week, and dont have the paitience they once had as there are so many other things to watch or do. Even movies are different as they need to open strong and make their money in the first few weeks of its release