• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Male to Female Ratio

Started by Jen, November 17, 2007, 07:01:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jen

I took a gander at the stats for the forums and noticed there's a "Male to Female ratio" stat. I never noticed that before and was a bit sad to see that there are so very little of us girl geeks board members—6.2:1. I know there are a lot more anomalies out there... my friend Angela and I know quite a few girl geeks, but they just don't like Sci-Fi as much as Fantasy.

If you know a female who likes sci-fi, tell her about Rico's show and the forums. Shoot...if you know anyone who likes Sci-fi tell them about Treks In Sci-Fi. Word of mouth is the best advertising.

And as an aside, we have many great writers in the RPG, but I'm the only woman. Which is fine... but I'd like there to be more female perspectives. So if you're reading this, and your of the feminine persuasion, drop me a PM and let me know you want to participate. The door is always open to any and all new writers. Swing by the RPG and read Season 4. Things are getting very interesting.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Dan M

I think you're right about women being more likely to prefer fantasy to sci-fi.

I'm lucky, in that my wife likes both.  Though not a fan of TOS, she's enjoyed each subsequent Trek series, along with many other sci-fi series like B5 and BSG-R.  But even with that, all the books she reads are fantasy, like the Robert Jordan series.

The women I work with are more likely to be into Buffy/Angel than Trek, Star Wars or BSG.

PepperDude

I'm surprised the male to female ratio is that low. I was expecting something like 10:1. I'll send one of my friends this link and tell her about how great the show and forum are.

Rico

Maybe we'll get more women to join up after next week's video podcast Jen?  After they see all of our smiling faces.  Hehe!  :)

markinro

I think if Lynn does a podcast, that might work.  "I married a trekkie - he's stays in the basement"

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: markinro on November 18, 2007, 04:21:18 PM
I think if Lynn does a podcast, that might work.  "I married a trekkie - he's stays in the basement"

HAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

sorry couldn't help myself ;) 
Quote from: Rico on November 18, 2007, 03:46:31 PM
Maybe we'll get more women to join up after next week's video podcast Jen?  After they see all of our smiling faces.  Hehe!  :)
I'm afraid that will backfire on us.  They'll all see how unattractive (in their eyes) we are and never visit the forums.  But hey, you never know.

King Linksr
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Kinglinksr on November 19, 2007, 02:43:20 PM
I'm afraid that will backfire on us.  They'll all see how unattractive (in their eyes) we are and never visit the forums.  But hey, you never know.
King Linksr

LOL.. King are you calling us ugly?? :) You don't even have a picture of yourself up here. And I have found that geeky girls aren't so shallow when it comes to geeky guys looks.

Bryancd

Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on November 19, 2007, 03:01:50 PM
Quote from: Kinglinksr on November 19, 2007, 02:43:20 PM
King Linksr

LOL.. King are you calling us ugly?? :) You don't even have a picture of yourself up here. And I have found that geeky girls aren't so shallow when it comes to geeky guys looks.

Yeah, King, speak for yourself! I'll start posting more of my triathlon race pics to bring some beef cake to this forum! And I happen to think Kenny is very cute, in a cuddley kinda way! :)

Rico

I've seen people of all shapes, sizes, colors, and from different countries throughout my life.  I learned a very long time ago not to judge a book by it's cover.  And I know people who enjoy Star Trek and Sci-Fi feel exactly the same way.

Blackride

Quote from: Rico on November 19, 2007, 03:37:50 PM
I've seen people of all shapes, sizes, colors, and from different countries throughout my life.  I learned a very long time ago not to judge a book by it's cover.  And I know people who enjoy Star Trek and Sci-Fi feel exactly the same way.

Ahhh the essence of Star Trek!
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Bryancd on November 19, 2007, 03:19:20 PM
And I happen to think Kenny is very cute, in a cuddley kinda way! :)

Awww Shucks... Am I blushing  :blush

Bryancd

All joking aside, we actually do have a very attractive little group here based on all the pics I have seen in the Member picture thread!

KingIsaacLinksr

Yikes!!!  It was just a joke.  Yeek. 

King Linksr

KingIsaacLinksr

I did say in their eyes.  Sorry.  :'( I didn't mean that anyone is ugly.  If anything, I'm probably the ugliest here.  Of course, you can go ahead and prove me wrong after #150.  ;)

King Linksr

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Rico on November 19, 2007, 03:37:50 PM

Couldn't have said it better Rico... That's why I love the Fantasy and Sci Fi community.