• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

I'm in agony!

Started by Ktrek, November 08, 2007, 10:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ktrek

As many of you know I have my own lawn service company. Well for the first time in my life I contracted a bad case of poison ivy!  :(  It is probably one of the more miserable experiences I have had. It started only in two small areas. One on my leg and the other on my arm. From there it has spread over both legs, both arms, my chest, my butt and my you know what!  :'(  I finally went to a doctor but all he could do was give me a steroid shot and assure me that it will eventually go away, but he couldn't say how long.

Well, I found a site on the Internet for home remedies and I have tried about five different things but the thing that has seemed to give me the most relief and improvement in the skin condition is rubbing just plain wet table salt on the affected areas. Now mind you this produces a most unpleasant sting, especially in the unmentionables, but believe me when I say that the sting is nothing compared to the itching and I would do almost anything to stop that!

So the lesson here is this...if you ever get into poison ivy, poison oak, or sumac, try a little table salt on the affected areas. It will probably keep it from spreading and save you two weeks of misery!  :cheers

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

moyer777

Kevin,
I will be praying for a quick recovery. 

Yikes!

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

KingIsaacLinksr

Yikes!!! 

I've had bad experiences with Poison Ivy and Hives.....*shiver* hives are possibly worse than Ivy.  But don't take my word for it.  Get rid of that crud soon man!

King Linksr
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Rico

Sorry to hear that Kevin.  Sounds like a very irritating illness. I hope you get over it quickly.

Jen

It's bad, bad, bad stuff. Be careful.  :o   I'm fortunate that it doesn't seem to bother me. Though my father and husband can just be in the general vicinity and it spreads all over them.

My husband Dave recently had a very serious case of it because he chose to climb a tree that stretched over a river and met with another tree on the other side. Yeah...he played monkey for a while. He met up with a Water Moccasin or Cotton Mouth (poisonous water snake referred to by both names) in the tree and apparently several vines of poison ivy. It spread all over him (just like you) and he also had to have the steroid shot. He suffered nerve damage on his legs because of it.  Don't climb any Pecan trees that cross rivers in Texas.  :(

I hope you get over it soon Kevin.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

iceman

jedijeff

Does not sound good at all, hope you recover soon

billybob476

My cousin and I both got poison ivy when we were very young on a camping trip. It was definitely not fun as I recall. Get well son and apply ointment liberally.

moyer777

How are you feeling today Kevin?

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Blackride

Here's to a speedy recovery!
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Ktrek

Quote from: moyer777 on November 09, 2007, 11:46:44 PM
How are you feeling today Kevin?

Actually a little better Rick. I called a chiropractor that I used to work for and asked his advice as to what to do because the swelling, you know where, had gotten much worse, leven after the steroid shot. He suggested I come into his clinic and let him treat me with FSM frequency specific microcurrent). It's an amazing technology where you target specific organs or illness with very specific currents of electricity. It was used VERY effectively on me a year ago to treat acute sever depression. However, I was still a little sceptical it would work on the poison ivy, but today after two hours of treatment yesterday the swelling is less than half. I only wish he was open today so I coud get another treatment. If you had seen what it did look like yesterday afternoon and what it looks like this morning you would be amazed! Even the other areas of irritation are reduced today to barely noticable.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

KingIsaacLinksr

Cool!  Glad your feeling better Kevin!

King Linksr

Jen

Sometimes alternative med is better. I'm glad the treatment helped you.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

X

I used to play in the stuff as a kid and never noticed. We found out later that some people in my family are not allergic to the stuff and we don't itch from it

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Just X on November 10, 2007, 01:15:29 PM
I used to play in the stuff as a kid and never noticed. We found out later that some people in my family are not allergic to the stuff and we don't itch from it

Be thankful of that.

Some of us are not so lucky.  Such as having an allergy to a food at a wedding and not sure which food.  i've always blamed the salad though.  ;)

King Linksr