• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Something bothered me at church yesterday.

Started by space_invader64, November 05, 2007, 08:35:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markinro

Besides, it has to rhyme "pretty yellow, black and white -- they are precious in His sight".  What's next ?   The collected works of Sir Marles Pickens or Edmund Welles, the well known dutch author.
:D

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on November 05, 2007, 06:14:59 PM
Quote from: Kinglinksr on November 05, 2007, 04:01:11 PM
This subject was replied to so much because changing the lyrics of such a song is just....dumb.  I could figure if they were singing a rap song at church that they would change it...(or not sing it period lol) but changing a song like that for the simple reason of Political Correctness is.....just not right. 

King Linksr

I don't think it's ever "dumb" to take people's feelings into consideration, even and especially when children are concerned.  Believe me, I'm the last person that would ever advocate censorship or suppression of opinions/ideas/art or anything like that.  I'm just thinking about this specific instance of the example given, and stating my opinion that the "new" lyrics seem more in sync with the intended meaning of the song, and less likely to hurt anyone's feelings.

Ok, my bad.  Its just dumb that they could think that a children's song is offsensive in this case.  Especially since it promotes as Jen says, a beautiful combined world.  I just don't see why it needs to be changed. 

King Linksr
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Jobydrone

I guess my last words on the subject are that, in this particular case, it seems okay to me to change the lyrics of this song in a way that doesn't change the inherent meaning, with the goal of not reducing groups of people to descriptions of their skin colors.  I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I think I can see how a Asian child might not understand why they are being called yellow.   I know it's nobody's place to tell anyone that their feelings are wrong or silly if they are offended by being called black, yellow, red, or white.  I also respect and get the fact that people that who grew up singing this song a certain way might feel burned at the thought of changing the lyrics because of what they perceive as unimportant or exaggerated reasoning. 

Interesting debate, I love talking and thinking about this kind of stuff once in a while.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Jen

To me it has less to do with race and more to do with beauty. It's best to agree to disagree with regards to that song, we could go on forever debating that subject.  :)

Here's another topic in the same vein but not religious in nature:
In the UK they have decided that Santa is too "fat". Mr. Claus is a bad influence on children, so they want a slimmer representation of Jolly Old Saint Nick rather than the full figured variety.

I grew up watching Sesame Street and the Cookie Monster was one of my favorite characters. He now eats carrots and apples because cookies are "bad" for children. I was fortunate not to have a weight problem growing up and I realize many kids struggle with it. There are many factors that lead to that problem and many ways to combat it. My mom didn't rely on others to keep us healthy, she saw to it that we didn't eat junk food. Where I'm I going with that? I wasn't negatively effected by Santa or the Cookie Monster's propensity for eating cookies and gaining weight. I think they've gone too far and it's just another example of too much regulation.

These measures remind me of the great novel, "A Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley, in which people create a utopia where everyone is super happy, healthy and technologically advanced. In this novel, "war and poverty were eliminated and everyone was permanently cheery due to government-provided stimulation. The irony being that these things were achieved by removing many things that people consider to be central to their identity — family, culture, art, literature, science, religion, and philosophy." Check out the link below if you haven't read the book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brave_New_World
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Jen on November 06, 2007, 07:11:37 AM
To me it has less to do with race and more to do with beauty. It's best to agree to disagree with regards to that song, we could go on forever debating that subject.  :)

In the UK they have decided that Santa is too "fat". Mr. Claus is a bad influence on children, so they want a slimmer representation of Jolly Old Saint Nick rather than the full figured variety.

I grew up watching Sesame Street and the Cookie Monster was one of my favorite characters. He now eats carrots and apples because cookies are "bad" for children. I was fortunate not to have a weight problem growing up and I realize many kids struggle with it. There are many factors that lead to that problem and many ways to combat it. My mom didn't rely on others to keep us healthy, she saw to it that we didn't eat junk food. Where I'm I going with that? I wasn't negatively effected by Santa or the Cookie Monster's propensity for eating cookies and gaining weight. I think they've gone too far and it's just another example of too much regulation.

WHAT???!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
not the cookie monster toooo!!!!   :'( :'( :'( :jawdrop :jawdrop >:( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on November 06, 2007, 06:37:40 AM
I guess my last words on the subject are that, in this particular case, it seems okay to me to change the lyrics of this song in a way that doesn't change the inherent meaning, with the goal of not reducing groups of people to descriptions of their skin colors.  I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I think I can see how a Asian child might not understand why they are being called yellow.   I know it's nobody's place to tell anyone that their feelings are wrong or silly if they are offended by being called black, yellow, red, or white.  I also respect and get the fact that people that who grew up singing this song a certain way might feel burned at the thought of changing the lyrics because of what they perceive as unimportant or exaggerated reasoning. 

Interesting debate, I love talking and thinking about this kind of stuff once in a while.

Though lets be honest here, I didn't really get what the lyrics meant till I was 10.  Maybe for some its sooner or later.  Ah well.  Its an interesting debate that can go on forever.  Especially with me around  ;)

King Linksr

space_invader64

I just graduated from college with a minor in history and I had this professor who's views were pretty Christophobic.  He made us use BCE (Before the Common Era) and CE (Common Era) in place of BC (before Christ) and AD (Anno Domini).  Because  those dates offended him.  Anyone using BC or AD would get an automatic zero!

All my other professes told us to use which system we wanted as long as we were consistant.  One professor said that he doesn't get why it's such a big deal to some historians because Jesus, if nothing else, is a historical figure and his birth sets a good time in history to keep time from.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: space_invader64 on November 06, 2007, 08:28:27 AM
I just graduated from college with a minor in history and I had this professor who's views were pretty Christophobic.  He made us use BCE (Before the Common Era) and CE (Common Era) in place of BC (before Christ) and AD (Anno Domini).  Because  those dates offended him.  Anyone using BC or AD would get an automatic zero!

All my other professes told us to use which system we wanted as long as we were consistant.  One professor said that he doesn't get why it's such a big deal to some historians because Jesus, if nothing else, is a historical figure and his birth sets a good time in history to keep time from.

Wow, thats a new one.  I've never had a professor who threw that at me before.  I think the most it ever got was umm...idk.  It really wasn't an issue in High School.  And as far as I can tell from this school, they don't really care.  Not that time is an issue here anyway XD

King Linksr

markinro

Professors need to get off their high horse and go back to teaching instead of using the classroom as their small-minded kingdom.  I would have told him to chill out dude.

wraith1701

...I grew up watching Sesame Street and the Cookie Monster was one of my favorite characters. He now eats carrots and apples because cookies are "bad" for children.

No way.  You have got to be kidding!!! :blink

They might as well just change his name to "The Carrot Monster".

markinro

These measures remind me of the great novel, "A Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley, in which people create a utopia where everyone is super happy, healthy and technologically advanced. In this novel, "war and poverty were eliminated and everyone was permanently cheery due to government-provided stimulation. The irony being that these things were achieved by removing many things that people consider to be central to their identity — family, culture, art, literature, science, religion, and philosophy." Check out the link below if you haven't read the book.

I heard about Jolly Ole' St Nick the other day.  Guess they will have to re-write some songs :)

KingIsaacLinksr

Yea, I guess jolly fat saint Nick will be skinny crabby Saint Nick.

Hey, you can't deny he wouldn't be crabby due to his new diet. ;)

King Linksr

markinro

Quote from: Kinglinksr on November 07, 2007, 08:25:00 AM
Yea, I guess jolly fat saint Nick will be skinny crabby Saint Nick.

Hey, you can't deny he wouldn't be crabby due to his new diet. ;)

King Linksr

There's only one way I know to loose that much weight by christmas.  Don't stand downwind of him

KingIsaacLinksr

Jen

I'm offended that they think I'll be offended!  ::)
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast