• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Something bothered me at church yesterday.

Started by space_invader64, November 05, 2007, 08:35:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on November 05, 2007, 12:01:49 PM
Identifying individuals by the colors of their skins is a pretty antiquated way of looking at people these days. We are in the 21st century, after all, and I can understand the reasoning behind eliminating those words from that particular song.  If I understand correctly, not knowing the song you are talking about, it sounds like they are saying something like it doesn't matter who you are or where you come from, Jesus loves you all the same.  I can think of a lot of ways it could be sung, classic or not, that would convey the same message without calling Asians "yellow" or Native americans "Red".

Like Rico pointed out, if someone feels offended by those words, they could certainly just walk out.  Somehow I get the feeling that the pastor or whatever probably would rather that the people who attend his or her sermons not be offended to the point that they decide they have to leave.  

In my opinion, "political correctness" is just a label we have put on the way that we interact with each other as individuals and as groups.  Though some may not choose to acknowledge this fact, we all act differently depending on the situation we are in and the crowd of people we are surrounded by.  I know that I choose my words alot more carefully when I am at work that I do when I am surrounded by a group of my friends away from work.  And again something I might say when I am with my wife I certainly would not say when I am with my wife and her parents.  I have a feeling there are things Rico might say when surrounded by his buddies drinking Gatorade that he wouldn't say on the podcast for fear of offending someone.  My point is that we all alter and change the way we act depending on our environment at the time.  Understanding how our interactions with others work in this way, and identifying and changing behaviors that might be considered hurtful or cause pain to others, seems to me to be a positive thing and something to strive for.  

Here is the thing though, this is a children's song.  I believe that the song is supposed to teach young people that ALL are EQUAL in his sight.  I cannot imagine HOW you can blow that out of proportion.  But hey, I guess that the new way tells them that we are still racist.....even though the song is not racist.....man I'm confusing myself just writing this...

King Linksr
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

space_invader64

I had no idea that you all would have interest that it would get this many replies.  It was a random thought of, "I can't believe that they would change the words."

Without this turning into a religous debate (please lets not let it) we all know that there are things in the bible that often finds offence and I  worry that being extra careful not to offend might take priority over other things.  I know at one time they were talking about reediting the bible with some of the contriversal stuff cut out.  That worries me.

I'm often the guy who says, don't take that book out of the library or that guy off tv because some people don't like it/him.  Because some people do. 

wraith1701

Quote from: space_invader64 on November 05, 2007, 08:35:57 AM
But yesterday in church, the kids sang Jesus loves the little children.  But they changed the words to be more pc.  They took out the red and yellow back and white line and replaced it with something else.  I think political correctness has gone crazy at this point.

Wow.  I understand the desire not to offend anyone, but why mess around with the lyrics of a song that is in itself a celebration of diversity?  For what it's worth, I'm a black man, and I don't see anything wrong with the original lyrics. 

By the way; what did they change the lyrics to?

space_invader64

They changed it to something like "Every people, every race" or something simular.

wraith1701

Quote from: space_invader64 on November 05, 2007, 03:46:40 PM
They changed it to something like "Every people, every race" or something simular.

Oh well; at least the alterations don't change the spirit of the song. 

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: space_invader64 on November 05, 2007, 03:04:01 PM
I had no idea that you all would have interest that it would get this many replies.  It was a random thought of, "I can't believe that they would change the words."

Without this turning into a religous debate (please lets not let it) we all know that there are things in the bible that often finds offence and I  worry that being extra careful not to offend might take priority over other things.  I know at one time they were talking about reediting the bible with some of the contriversal stuff cut out.  That worries me.

I'm often the guy who says, don't take that book out of the library or that guy off tv because some people don't like it/him.  Because some people do. 

I tell ya, the church I used to go to (because I moved to college) the pastor wouldn't really "care" if you got offended by the bible.  He read it as it was meant to be read.  I just don't see why we even worry about this sort of thing at a church.  If you get offended by what the church says then its 1 of 2 things:

1. Your not a true Christian
2. You took it way out of context.

And if your offended, just leave the church.  Its not like we'll hunt you down or anything.  Sheesh.  ;) 

This subject was replied to so much because changing the lyrics of such a song is just....dumb.  I could figure if they were singing a rap song at church that they would change it...(or not sing it period lol) but changing a song like that for the simple reason of Political Correctness is.....just not right. 

King Linksr

space_invader64

moyer777

It's ok.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, as long as no one gets nasty about it. :)

This would make a great star trek episode.

:laugh:

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

space_invader64

I know. I posted something here once and it got out of control.  Then I wished I hadn't posted it.  So now I start to worry every time I post something that it might happen again. It's in the archive if you are wondering what.  I don't want to talk about it.

Rico

I appreciate everyone keeping this pretty civil so far.  As a suggestion, perhaps take the religion part of this topic out of the equation and just discuss the idea of political correctness.  For example, one thing I have a big issue with is censorship in general.  And this is sort of related to that.  Maybe a new topic would be in order.  Just some thoughts.

Geekyfanboy

Yeah Religion and Politics can always lead to heated discussions. That's why we normally do not discuss them in the forum. This thread has done fairly well.

Jen

I agree with Rick, everyone is playing nice and that's hard to do with subjects like this. FYI, I appreciate all of your opinions.

"Red and yellow black and white" the next line is: "they are precious to his sight". Color and "sight" are linked and colors are beautiful. I'd like to hear the new words to the song. Do you remember them?

I agree, I think it's becoming ridiculous. And personally, I don't like Christmas being called "Winterfest".
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

KingIsaacLinksr

Hey, I'm a nice guy.  :( 

Winterfest reminds me way too much of WOW's version.......its pretty sad.

King Linksr
Quote from: space_invader64 on November 05, 2007, 04:32:56 PM
Oh, no.  What have I started?

FYI, You've started War man, prepare to die!!! MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

lol jk

Jobydrone

Quote from: Kinglinksr on November 05, 2007, 04:01:11 PM
This subject was replied to so much because changing the lyrics of such a song is just....dumb.  I could figure if they were singing a rap song at church that they would change it...(or not sing it period lol) but changing a song like that for the simple reason of Political Correctness is.....just not right. 

King Linksr

I don't think it's ever "dumb" to take people's feelings into consideration, even and especially when children are concerned.  Believe me, I'm the last person that would ever advocate censorship or suppression of opinions/ideas/art or anything like that.  I'm just thinking about this specific instance of the example given, and stating my opinion that the "new" lyrics seem more in sync with the intended meaning of the song, and less likely to hurt anyone's feelings.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Jen

I'm sorry, I guess I'm failing to see why the colors in this song are derogatory. They signify a beautiful, symbolic, artistic difference. Using the colors is more expressive than the words "Native American, Asian American, African American and Caucasian American, they are precious to his sight." Color in art, aids the visual representation. It paints a world that is pretty bland otherwise. 
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast