Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

New Trek movie score

Started by Rico, November 01, 2007, 10:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Some interesting info on the score for the upcomng TREK movie:

Trek Score Will Keep Theme

Michael Giacchino, who is set to compose the score for J.J. Abrams' upcoming Star Trek movie, told SCI FI Wire that he will retain at least the original theme music from the original series, by Alexander Courage.

"I think that the thing to do would be to hold on to the only thing that does speak—that says Star Trek—universally, which is the [opening theme from the original series]," Giacchino said in an interview while promoting the upcoming release of Ratatouille on DVD, for which he also composed the music.

Giacchino also revealed a few details about the top-secret film's plot and how the theme music fits in. "To me, that fanfare, boom, that says it all right there," he said. "And this film is about everything that came before that. So, yes, I want to keep that. But everything that was done after that, it shouldn't be about that. It needs to be about these characters now and how they met and all of these things. So it's a very kind of specific place and time."

Giacchino has worked with Star Trek director Abrams on the television series Alias and continues to compose music for Abrams' ABC series Lost. He said that his approach to the Star Trek score will be guided by Abrams' vision for the film.

"I love working with J.J., and I know that he'll make it something special, so I have no doubt that there'll be something there that'll inspire me," Giacchino said. "I don't know what it's going to be, so I still have that anticipation about it."

But Giacchino admitted that he is daunted by the prospect of following in the footsteps of such Trek film composers as James Horner and Jerry Goldsmith.

"I grew up listening to all of that great [trek] music, and that's part of what inspired me to do what I'm doing," Giacchino said. "So, yeah, it's horrifying to think that I've got to go and stand in line with those guys." He added: "You just go in scared. You just hope you do your best. It's one of those things where the film will tell me what to do." Star Trek is scheduled for release on Dec. 25, 2008. —Cindy White

source:  http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?id=45151

billybob476

Very cool. Then again, I always associated the TNG/motion picutre theme with Star Trek more then the original series. Maybe it's cause I grew up with TNG.

Rico

It's an original crew movie so I think they wanted to use the original theme.  At least for some of it.

jedijeff

Cool, These Directors sure have their Favorites when it comes to scoring their works. Just like Burton/Elfman, Lucas-Spielberg/Williams, Abrams works with Giacchino a lot.