• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

I watched Rascals last night and it got me thinking.....

Started by space_invader64, November 03, 2007, 01:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

space_invader64

I just got my season 6 episodes of TNG and have started rewatching shows I haven't seen since I was a kid.  Seeing things as an adult some things hit me different.

The worst stuff always happens to O'Brian.

Men, if your wife came home but an accident had reduced her in age to a 12 year old, would that mean that they shouldn't be together as husband and wife?  She is an adult but an accident made her body look that much younger.  If that was your wife, would you still.......  Could you stay married?

When I saw that as a kid, I thought, why not?  She has been his wife for two years and this happend to her.  But now, I have to admit the idea is very strange to me.  I have no idea what I would do.

On the other hand, Kes is very young but has the body of an adult.  Is that ok?

These are situations that none of us will ever have to face.

If your wife came home with a 12 year olds body would you do?

Ktrek

I think the Miles/Keiko thing is one of the better and thought provoking aspects of the episode. If something like that happened to my wife I'm afraid I would have to divorce her. Not because I would want to but I could not in all good conscience make love to a 12 year old. The physical age factor would be too much for me to handle. I mean wouldn't that have made Miles a pedophile?

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

space_invader64

I don't know if it would or not because she was a 20 or 30 something that a transporter accident reduced her physical age.

As a kid I saw that and thought, why not?  She is the same person and they have a child together.  But as an adult I don't know what the right answer is.

I would hope that I would stay married but I like you said, the physical thing would be pedophilic.  I guess the best thing is to stay married but refrain from the physical side of marriage for at least six years.

I personaly don't believe in divorce unless in cases of abuce, dissertion, or adultry.

moyer777

Yes, that is one of the reasons I enjoyed the show so much.  It really made you think in each case how they were going to live their lives if they had to grow up again.

For Miles, it would have been tough both he and Molly.  I agree, I think I would have stayed married and then held off on the physical end of stuff till she was older.  For Keiko, it would have been very frustrating-- to have the body of a child and the experiences of an adult woman.  Pretty cool idea.  I think I've seen that somewhere.... just opposite.. 13 going on 30. :)

For Picard, giving up the captain's chair would be a very hard choice, in this case it was everyone else that had to figure out how to handle his physical appearence.  But in this case I think it would have been easier since they were already used to alien beings in all sorts of shapes and sizes. 

For Guinan, and wow, did they ever find a great kid to play her part, she wouldn't have been tending bar very long that young, but she seemed to have all sorts of things she could do.  She was such a mystery yet diverse character.

Ensign Ro-  now there was a great conflict!  With a troubled childhood, the last things she wanted to do was live it over again, yet as Guinan pointed out... it may have been a chance to do it better this time. 

My favorite line from that show...  "But when you did, I bet you were a jumper!"

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com