• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Off To The Texas Renniasance Festival

Started by Jen, October 11, 2007, 07:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jen

Well it's time for our annual trip to Plantersville, Texas to the Texas Renaissance Festival. My husband and I are caravanning with my pal Angela (Archangela here on the boards) and her husband Jim. Their other friends will meet us there and we'll set up our camp near the festival. This weekend is fantasy themed so Angela will be dressed as a fairy and I'll be going as an elf.  We're going to be videoing our trip for a future mini vidcast. But we'll post some of our pics here when we return.

I hit one snag that was a little irritating. My custom made leather renaissance shoes didn't come in the mail on time, though I ordered them months ago. UGGGG!  :taz

I'm leaving tomorrow morning and hope to swing by the post office to harass them about it. Maybe they'll have them there... I hope. It's always something isn't it? Murphy's Law.

Here's a link to the festival:
http://www.texrenfest.com/

Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

wraith1701

Sounds like fun, Jen; have a great trip! 

I have a few friends back in Austin who were involved in the Society for Creative Anachronism; I once attended an event they held at Zilker Park (or it might have been Pease Park; my memory is getting bad in my old age).  There were a lot of food booths selling turkey legs and such, and there were a couple of staged sword fights.  Also, there may or may not have been beer involved. ;)

I think this might be sorta like a scaled-down version of a Ren Fair, right? 

Jen

Hummm, I live only miles from Austin and haven't heard of that event...though it sounds strange enough to be something Austin would do. :D

Their semi-agreed upon city slogan is "Keep Austin Weird". Are you from Texas, or are you just friends with some Austinites?
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

moyer777

Have a great time Jen!

I am looking forward to your reports!

Woo hoo!

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

wraith1701

QuoteAre you from Texas, or are you just friends with some Austinites?

I was born in Texas (San Antonio), but grew up in Oklahoma, Idar-Oberstein, Germany, Heidleburg, Germany, Overland Park, Kansas, and Virginia.  Yep; you guessed it-- I'm a military brat. :laugh:

I returned to Texas for my last year of High School, then attended U.T.  Graduated in '90, and spent the next 14 years or so living and working in Austin.  About a year and a half ago, I relocated to Louisville, KY.

Haven't been back to Austin for a couple of years now, but some college friends and I have a Google email group that we use to keep in touch.

I don't know if there are still Ren-Fair type gatherings going on in Austin, but these types of things were pretty common when I was in School.  One of the weirdest events attended by a lot of my friends was Eyeors' Birthday, which is sort of a hedonistic-hippy-tribal gathering held every spring in Pease Park-- a small park located in an area called West Campus, near where South Lamar meets up with Barton Springs.  Lots of drum circles, and lots of unusual costumes. 

Rico

Have a blast Jen!  I haven't gone to our local Ren Fest in several years, but I always really enjoyed going.  Take lots of pics!

iceman

Jen

Here's a few Pics (more to come). The first few are of Dave and me, and the last one is of Angela and Jim.
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Jen

Dave and me...
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Jen

Me...and one more of Angela and Jim.
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Jen

Angela and Jim...Again, more to come.
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

iceman

Geekyfanboy

moyer777

How cool.  Nice pictures.  Your ears rock.

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Jen

Here are a few more of my favorite pics.
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast