Kirk Vs. Picard????

Started by billybob476, September 25, 2007, 05:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billybob476

...and so began the eternal debate, who is better Kirk or Picard?

billybob476

To add to the initial post:

I'd say neither of them is better or worse. Kirk was more of a cowboy. Still moral but if it came down to it he'd come in guns blazing. Picard is the pre-eminent diplomat. Fighting is always ALWAYS a last resort and it pains him to have to do it. While the prime directive existed in Kirk's time, he would disregard it if it suited him, while Picard lived by it.

Who's the better Captain? Depends on your peronsal choice and maybe even just your mood.

starvoyage

I've always had a special place in my heart for Kirk.  Perhaps it's because he was first. I just love the sassy dialogue he shoots out here and there. :)

markinro

Hands down - Picard.   Someone stick a fork in Kirk - he's overdone   :roflmao

X

If I had to pick out of the two, my money is on Kirk. If we were talking Captains in general, Sisko was perhaps the best to wear the uniform. He had the best traits of both.

Geekyfanboy

I like Kirk but if I had to choose.. it would be Picard. I thought he was a much better leader. Like billybob said.. Picard was a great diplomat. I guess I can identify with Picard more as I rather talk my way out of a situation then fight... brain over brawn... just my opinion.

Bryancd

Kirk....just look at my sig! How can you not just love that face!

billybob476

Quote from: Just X on September 27, 2007, 04:09:05 PM
If I had to pick out of the two, my money is on Kirk. If we were talking Captains in general, Sisko was perhaps the best to wear the uniform. He had the best traits of both.
And the best sense of humour! I love the Sisko sarcasm.

Blackride

Quote from: Just X on September 27, 2007, 04:09:05 PM

I loved Sisko also. The smirk on his face at times was priceless!
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

PepperDude

It's hard to choose a favorite. Kirk was more of a cowboy and Picard more of a diplomat. Still both did get the job done and well. 

Blackride, you're right about Sisko--he did have the best traits of both.

Akitu

They both had totally different captaining styles. I agree with the comments that Kirk was more of a "cowboy" captain and Picard the eternal diplomat. I always thought of Kirk as kind of the James Bond of Star Trek. He found his way out of impossible situations and always got the girl.

If I were forced to choose between the two, however, I'd pick Picard. Cowboys are entertaining but sometimes diplomacy is the safer route. At least as a first choice that is.

jedijeff

Tough Choice, I think I would have to go with Kirk as he got the enterprise out of some pretty tight situations.

If I had to choose who to serve under, it would be Captain Archer, as he seems the easiest going of the captains, and most approachable.

billybob476

Maybe we should expand this discussion to include all captains! In all honesty Archer is my favourite. He seems like the most human. Janeway is my least favourite. I always found her to be a bit too scientific for my tastes. Archer flew by the seat of his pants, you knew he didn't always know what he was doing. He was just the most likable. He was the most human Captain. Oh and he only got the girl sometimes, Trip was the ladies man on Enterprise!

Akitu

QuoteJaneway is my least favourite. I always found her to be a bit too scientific for my tastes.

While I agree that Janeway is overbearingly scientific, she's also my favorite captain. In fact, a very important episode in her character development deals with the issue that she puts too much emphasis on science. The exact episode is eluding my memory at the moment but she comes to the realization that a scientific approach is not always best. One of the reasons she needed to remain so rigid was because she was all alone in the Delta quadrant. She was, in a way, overcompensating for the lack of structure and the physical distance between her crew and Starfleet. It's almost as if she's clinging to something certain in a realm of complete uncertainty.

She becomes a lot more...friendly, for lack of a better word, as the seasons progress.

moyer777

I really enjoy Kirk, but Picard wins out for me.

I feel like I actually learned something from him.  His style, his love for history, books, etc.  They were more than just something thrown in, you saw him use it in his decisions.  He was so much more of a diplomat.  I felt like he was kind also.  I think I liked the accent too.  He wasn't over the top like Kirk.

Anyway, I liked all of the captains, but Picard the best.

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com