• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Just shows what you can do...

Started by davekill, September 11, 2007, 09:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davekill

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow...

Like something out of a fairy tale - I love this guy's story!

Kerry Conran a novice student filmmaker with a vision, began making this movie in his apartment with the help of his brother Kevin and a few friends. His six-minute demo reel caught the attention of producer Jon Avnet.

Next thing he knows he has Paramount studios backing it - and - while shaking in his boots, he's directing Jude Law, Gweneth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie!

This is a "neo noir" '40s action/adventure/sci-fi that even features the late Sir Laurence Olivier.

Kerry brought his vision to the big screen and takes full credit for the concept....but I was pretty bummed after I saw the 1941 Superman cartoon "The Mechanical Monsters"

Kerrry,  say it ain't so!

Still it's highly recommended if your a Sci-fi or fantasy buff.  :)

http://www.skycaptain.com/

moyer777

I liked the movie.  It was a little long, but I really enjoyed it.

cool stuff.

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Geekyfanboy

I really liked this movie as well.. the story was decent but the real  cool thing about this movie is the stylized look of the film..

Blackride

I really did not like this movie at all. I viewed it knowing what to expect and what the filmaker was trying to do but I just didn't buy into it. I thought the special effects were a bit over the top and the script was weak from a dialogue perspective. That's just my opinion though......
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

jedijeff

Overall I liked this movie, and the look that it had. But I could see where some could get tired of the look pretty fast. I liked the world he created in the movie, and really took me away to the time. Some of the ships they came up with pretty cool, like the one Jolies Character commanded.

Dan M

I really liked this movie.   Maybe the wife will be up for watching it tonight.

Rico

Yep - I enjoyed this movie too.  Kind of a nice retro kind of movie.  And the look of it is amazing and unique.

Dan M

Quote from: davekill on September 11, 2007, 09:48:02 PM

Kerry brought his vision to the big screen and takes full credit for the concept....but I was pretty bummed after I saw the 1941 Superman cartoon "The Mechanical Monsters"

Kerrry,  say it ain't so!

I thought he was upfront about the (obvious) genesis of those designs.  Now, I'm doubting myself, but I thought he said so in an interview. 

Really, how could he hope to hide that?  Those Fleischer cartoons are so well-known.