• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

My new setup

Started by Ktrek, August 01, 2007, 09:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ktrek

Well my wife and I have a new multimedia setup. We bought a new 40 inch High Def LCD TV/Monitor and a Blue Ray disc player. Both are Samsung and very nice products. We decided that we wanted to be able to use the TV for both viewing DVDs and also for PC/Internet access in our small office space rather than have a big TV in our living room anymore. We always hated the TV in the living room as we like to entertain and it just takes up too much space. Putting a unit (although slightly smaller than what we had) in the office basically makes it a multi-media center. Now I can play AVI files I have downloaded on my PC hard drive, listen to music, watch DVDs and tons of other cool stuff right in the same room. It's hard to really get perspective in photos without something identifiable for size comparison but here is a pic anyway.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Ktrek

Ohh...and one other thing! I never realized how much I would love surfing the Internet on a 40 inch monitor. It is so cool to sit back about 8 ft. away with my wireless keyboard and mouse and be able to read everything clearly. No more squinting and straining my neck!!

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Rico

Very nice Ktrek.  Is that a WD backup drive I see on top of the PC?  What resolution can you get the monitor to do with your PC?  We tried that on our HD LCD I got the kids for gaming.  Hooked a PC up to it.  Pretty fun stuff!  What made you go BluRay?  Are you thinking of getting an HD DVD player too?

Ktrek

Yep Rico...that is a WD backup drive for my PC. My PC resolution is set at 1260x768 and the monitor will support higher but that's the highest setting I have on my desktop right now.

As for the Blue Ray it was more of an impulse buy because BestBuy had a $100 off incentive on any Blue Ray player with the purchase of a TV plus a $100 gift card to boot! I decided on Blue Ray because I think Blue Ray is winning the format war. Blue Ray outsells HD players and movies two to one. Blockbuster announce a few weeks back that they will only be carrying Blue Ray and this week Target stores announced they will only carry Blue Ray. I also heard a rumor that Netflix is also going to go Blue Ray and many other retailers are looking at it. I'm also a Disney fan and they release on Blue Ray.

What I don't understand is why Paramount went HD. Is CBS not owned by Sony? and Sony developed and owns Blue Ray? Anyway, those are my reasons. I think Paramount will be sorry they went the HD route.

Kevin

Rico

Actually the way things are shaking out both formats will be around for a long while.  I don't think anyone is really winning yet.  Netflix has offered both formats for awhile.  One thing I have noticed is Blu Ray discs themselves are generally more expensive than HD DVD's.  And for TREK stuff alone I have to get an HD player first.  But I will end up with both at some point I'm sure - or a combo player.

Again - neat setup.

Ktrek

Quote from: Rico on August 01, 2007, 10:11:20 PM
One thing I have noticed is Blu Ray discs themselves are generally more expensive than HD DVD's.  And for TREK stuff alone I have to get an HD player first.  But I will end up with both at some point I'm sure - or a combo player.

Rico, I just read at hollywoodinhidef.com that Paramount announced at Comic Con that a Blu Ray version of TOS Remastered is in the works. Yippee!

Also, as to price I believe you will soon start to see that changing rapidly as Blu Ray becomes the format of choice. Even Spielberg is getting behind Blue Ray by releasing Close Encounters EXCLUSIVELY on Blu Ray. I'm afraid that if you buy an HD player you will find the format going by the wayside within a couple of years and you will be stuck with an expensive player and few films to play on it. At least if you think you really want HD buy a unit that plays both HD and Blu Ray. They are quite expensive but at least no matter what format ultimately wins you will have a player that will support it.

Kevin

Rico

Well, I respectfully disagree.  Make sure you look take a good look at the current movies that are actually out on which format, not just total units sold.  Right now for me at least there is more out on HDDVD that I would like to own rather than on BluRay.  Also, keep in mind how these are manufactured.  HDDVD's can be made on modified old DVD's lines.  BluRay's take a whole new plant to produce.  Also, HD has a lot of special disc special features that BluRay doesn't do, with more to come.

But the biggest thing I don't agree with is that HDDVD will be "going by the wayside" in a few years.  Both formats will be around for awhile - at least until the next super-duper HD version comes along that puts them both in the electronic graveyard.

Again, the simple answer is I will eventually own both.  For a movie and TV lover like myself, there is really no choice.