• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Landlord / Tenant question

Started by wso32, August 01, 2007, 02:05:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wso32

Anyone have experience as a landlord?  I'm overseas for work and am renting out my house.  My tenant just told me she is running into money problems and wants to know if she can pay half the rent now and half in two weeks.  I'm nervous to make an exception as I'm afraid this will become a pattern (and I have to pay the mortgage regardless of when she pays me).  Anyone have any experience as a landlord with similar situations?

iceman

Do you have a landlord and tenent agreement with her, if so she is obligated to follow it, and if not you can give her notice to pay. Did she pay first and last months rent, if so you can tell her that if she does not pay her rent she has essentially given you notice. I suggest that if you can avoid letting her devide her rent,as by the time your next month is do, she may want to do the same thing.

good luck, but be careful

wso32

Thanks iceman.  Yeah, we have a contract and I told her last night that I couldn't accept half now and half later (based on some things I read) and she now claims she can pay it all by tomorrow so we will see.  Thanks for the tips!

Rico

Yeah, stick to the agreement if you can.  It somewhat depends on how reliable you think she is.  That must be hard to rent out your house while working overseas.  You have anyone locally to check up on her?

wso32

Yeah it is has been tough of late as she has started paying a bit late and then the latest issue with wanting to pay half now and half later.   However, I sent my parents over and she paid the rent.  I guess it took sending the muscle in (ha ha) but thankfully she paid.  She just has 8 more payments to go so hopefully it goes well.

iceman

Just keep to the landlord and tenant agreement, the minite you let her change it, by allowing her to pay later you essentially make it null and void and the courts will view it as if you have amended the original agreement, so ias long as you stick to the original agreement you will be ok.