News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Trek News - TNG Remastered Like TOS

Started by News Bot, July 28, 2007, 05:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turtlesrock

Quote from: WillEagle on September 28, 2011, 07:06:52 PM
Cool video. I wouldn't be able to buy all these on blu-ray when the start releasing them so i thought it would be cool if they put them back on tv buuuuut, I'm dropping cable down to basic because it cost to blasted much. So I will no longer have any HD tv. I'll still have my PS3 though for blu-ray disc.
yea. it's good to have a blu ray option.

ChrisMC

From the press release:

"CBS is, in fact, returning to the original film negatives, a mother lode of material encompassing 25,000-plus reels of footage, and editing the episodes together precisely as they were when they originally aired between 1987 and 1994. Visual effects will not be upconverted from videotape, but instead will be recompositioned. The freshly cut film will ultimately be transferred to high definition with 7.1 DTS Master Audio. And all of the work is being done in conjunction with respected, longtime Star Trek figures Denise and Michael Okuda, who are on board as consultants."

I wonder if these are going to be 16x9 or 4x3? I imagine they can get that from the film.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

jedijeff

Dangelus

I'd love to see this in 16:9 but there is a good chance this will add a load of junk into the frame such as crew and equipment.

Rico

Very unlikely to be 16:9 or any wide screen format.  It might be possible, but the episodes were not shot with that in mind.  This is going to be quite the project.  I would guess we may see them do a season at a time and release them that way.  Bring it on I say!

ChrisMC

Yeah, I suppose there would be stuff on the sides, didn't think of that. Rather have them in HD in 4x3 than cropped like B5 did on the DVDs.

Supposedly season 1 will be out sometime near Fall 2012 for the 25th anniversary. 25th!!! Hard to believe it's been that long.

billybob476

Quote from: Rico on September 29, 2011, 06:06:18 AM
Very unlikely to be 16:9 or any wide screen format.  It might be possible, but the episodes were not shot with that in mind.  This is going to be quite the project.  I would guess we may see them do a season at a time and release them that way.  Bring it on I say!

They should have the 4:3 "clean" versions and a 16:9 version where you see the director, lighting, sound guy and actors subbing out their cigarettes before they walk into scene :)

X

If they have the complete negative, they could choose which way they want to display it, but I don't think that they'd choose letterbox because it would be change too much.

Rico

Quote from: X on September 29, 2011, 07:08:12 AM
If they have the complete negative, they could choose which way they want to display it, but I don't think that they'd choose letterbox because it would be change too much.

My point exactly.  Shots are framed in a certain way for the format dimensions.  Remember, widescreen TV is a pretty recent change.  I believe only Enterprise was shot with widescreen in mind.

moyer777

I was under the impression the effects were being remastered.  Hmmmm.   

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Rico

Quote from: moyer777 on September 29, 2011, 08:37:48 AM
I was under the impression the effects were being remastered.  Hmmmm.   

That depends what you mean by, "remastered."  The effects shots for TNG were put together in a video format.  So, they have to take those original shots and redo them in hidef.  That can mean a few things.  Models shots of ships and things can be recreated in hidef. if the footage is still around.  Other things will probably have to be newly created via modern CGI (weapons fire, explosions, etc.) when they create the new effects.  This is all different than when they enhanced TOS.  Those effects shots were all brand new, CGI shots.  We will get a good idea of how all this will look with this sampler Blu-Ray set they are doing.

Dangelus

I can't wait for this! In a way I'm glad they are releasing it one season at a time. It's going to be like being a kid all over again! :)

Jobydrone

Quote from: Dangelus on September 29, 2011, 09:28:20 AM
I can't wait for this! In a way I'm glad they are releasing it one season at a time. It's going to be like being a kid all over again! :)
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

ChrisMC

From Trekmovie.com :Aspect ratio for Blu-ray release is the original aspect ratio as it aired on televsion – 1.33:1 (4:3) - confirmed by TrekMovie.com and The Digital Bits

Also the shot of the Enterprise at the end is an example of the recomposited effect shots. It looks great, love that all that model work is going to stay.

Rico

Keep in mind those comparison pics are just from the video trailer released (which has already been compressed for online viewing).  But even with that, the added detail is pretty nice.

From Trekmovie:

Two weeks ago we reported on new details for the Star Trek: The Next Generation – Remastered project. As was rumored, today CBS has made details of the project official. All 178 episodes will be re-scanned from the original films elements and visual effects elements will be re-composited into a 1080p workflow for mastering onto Blu-ray and runs on syndicated television and digital distribution (i.e. Netflix) both domestically and internationally.

The long rumored effort to remaster Star Trek The Next Generation is confirmed! Just in time for the 25th anniversary in 2012. CBS has once again shown its commitment to the Star Trek franchise by remastering it in HD. Each of the 178 episodes from The Next Generation's seven seasons will be transferred to high-definition 1080p for release in the Blu-ray format and, eventually, for runs on television and digital platforms in the U.S. and across the world.

The remastering process

CBS is starting from scratch using the original film negatives, and editing the episodes together precisely as they were when they originally aired between 1987 and 1994.
Visual effects will not be upconverted from videotape, but instead will be recompositioned from the film elements available.
The freshly cut film will be transferred to high definition with 7.1 DTS Master Audio.
Work is being done in conjunction with Denise and Michael Okuda, who are on board as consultants.
Aspect ratio for Blu-ray release is the original aspect ratio as it aired on televsion – 1.33:1 (4:3) - confirmed by TrekMovie.com and The Digital Bits

http://trekmovie.com/2011/09/28/tng-remastered-is-official/