• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Trek News - TNG Remastered Like TOS

Started by News Bot, July 28, 2007, 05:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Quote from: Dangelus on September 08, 2011, 08:30:34 AM
Quote from: billybob476 on September 07, 2011, 06:35:32 PM
Well if there's any episode that needs some effects work, it's be Farpoint!

Can they fix Troi's acting too? Pain...PAIN!!

Yes they're fixing that by re-dubbing her saying "No....NOOOOOO!!!!". ;)

Yes, I heard that.  Also, Picard shoots first this time too and Data will blink more and use contractions.  :)

Feathers

I suppose Farpoint is logical but it's nowhere near a favourite. Do you think they'll fix the 'chainmail fence in space' to look a little less '18th century'?

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Dangelus

I can't wait to see this. I know they will treat them with respect if the treatment of the TOS remasters is the measure. It will be interesting to see if they can get season 1 looking sharp and detailed as it suffers from poor quality compared to later seasons.

Bryancd

Quote from: Feathers on September 10, 2011, 12:36:24 AM
I suppose Farpoint is logical but it's nowhere near a favourite. Do you think they'll fix the 'chainmail fence in space' to look a little less '18th century'?

But it special effects heavy and they look super dated.

Geekyfanboy

X

Cool trailer, but wasn't tng filmed on video cassettes?

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: X on September 28, 2011, 03:23:09 PM

No TNG was shot on 35 mm film.. that's what made it different and so expensive.

Rico

Quote from: Geekyfanboy on September 28, 2011, 03:25:12 PM

Yep, it was shot on film like Kenny said.  Here's a shot of one of the film cameras:

X

Quote from: Rico on September 28, 2011, 03:39:42 PM
Quote from: Geekyfanboy on September 28, 2011, 03:25:12 PM

Yep, it was shot on film like Kenny said.  Here's a shot of one of the film cameras:
Okay, makes sense, but what was the problem with the shooting that they had once said would cause problems when trying to turn to HD? I can't remember the specifics, but I do remember that there was supposed to be some sort of issue.

Rico

As has been discussed a bit here, it's the effects.  Basically the live action was shot on film.  Much of the effects work was only composited on video.  So, the end result (as I understand it) is the effects will have to be redone. 

Bryancd

I hope that shot of the Enterprise in the trailer was not the final HD version, it still liked wonky a bit.  :o

Roddenberry

Can they give Riker a beard from the start?  :)

billybob476

As I understand it, the 35mm film can be upconverted no problem but the effects are native in 480i which would upconvert very badly, hence they have to redo the effects shots.

Rico

Quote from: billybob476 on September 28, 2011, 05:49:44 PM
As I understand it, the 35mm film can be upconverted no problem but the effects are native in 480i which would upconvert very badly, hence they have to redo the effects shots.

There is no "upconverting" for the 35mm film portion.  Film quality, even 35mm is of a higher resolution than Blu-Ray.

WillEagle

Cool video. I wouldn't be able to buy all these on blu-ray when the start releasing them so i thought it would be cool if they put them back on tv buuuuut, I'm dropping cable down to basic because it cost to blasted much. So I will no longer have any HD tv. I'll still have my PS3 though for blu-ray disc.