• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

What Series should they Start with??

Started by Geekyfanboy, June 21, 2007, 01:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So this friend of a friend wants to start one of these sci fi TV series.. which one should she start with.

Farscape
Babylon 5
Stargate

Geekyfanboy

A friend of mine asked me this question knowing I'm an Uber Geek.. but I have not see everything so I thought I would ask the boards... please answer only if you have seen all three TV series... Thanks.

Locutus

Stargate is the easiest to jump into, because, even if you don't know all the different alien types, most people understand the concept of waging guerrilla war on a easily identified totalitarian enemy. And you don't have to watch every episode.

Farscape and Bab5 require much more intensive viewings, and have more alien concepts and stranger episodes.
Admiral Piett: Impossible! Are calcs proves us otherwise.
" Blalock's 'Shadow Puppets' To Get California Release" <-- Best headline ever on this site.

Geekyfanboy

Well she is going to start at the beginning of the series. I have only seen Farscape and loved it. I plan on watching Babylon 5 soon and Stargate later down the road.

Rico

Truthfully, I think Farscape in the long haul would appeal to her more maybe.  More character stuff, more romance, etc.  It's my favorite of those three.

space_invader64

Stargate is a show I've never got into.  I might someday, but it's not my flavor yet.  Which is kind of a pain because It's on SCIFI all  the time. 

moyer777

I really like Stargate.  In my opinion it is easier to jump into than the other two.  I guess it depends on their personality.

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Geekyfanboy

they are not jumping into a series.. they are going to start at the beginning of the series.

Q

Stargate is awesome, they have good and interesting plots, a good story line, and its got some pretty funny moments.  Almost anyone Sci-Fi fan I know would like Stargate, SG-1 or Atlantis
"If it wasn't for us [SG-1], you would have a snake up your head instead of your head up your ***." -Colonel O'Neil

Jen

I liked the Stargate movie, but couldn't get into any of the TV shows. Farscape hooked me from the first episode but that was during college and I had to drop cable to make ends meet...I missed the last few seasons.  I agree with Rico, it has more to offer than the others. But then again, I have never seen a single episode of Babylon 5. I was a teen when it was on air and I felt it was competing with Star Trek and for that reason alone, I disliked it. But with age comes maturity (for most). I would love to pick up a box set of Babylon 5DVDs and check it out. I know nothing about it.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

JoSpiv

I would say Stargate.  With the film, it's the easiest to show them and give them a quick background to the premise.  The others require a bit of viewing to understand.

However, I would suggest they watch BSG.  It's better than all 3.
"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing as wanting.  It is not logical, but it is often true." - Spock

Locutus

Quote from: Jen on July 17, 2007, 11:06:39 AM
I would love to pick up a box set of Babylon 5DVDs and check it out. I know nothing about it.

Well, I can tell you that it is one of the most ambitious scifi series ever put on the air. Does it succeed? Generally speaking, yes. The Universe is rich and detailed, the characters change over the course of the series, the writing is by J Micheal Straczynski and is pretty top-notch.

Some of it's scope was limited by the medium of TV and the money being spent on it, but they put almost every cent on the screen. (I'm including the first half of season 5 in that, and if/when you watch it, you'll know what I mean.)

I am a bit biased, as B5 is how I met my wife, but I was a huge fan prior to that, and had met most of the stars, and indeed had lunch with Walter Koenig, who played Bester, the head of the PsiCops. (Strange little guy.)

The weakest parts of this show are the money constraints, which were probably put to the test by having to replace scenery eaten by Micheal O'Hare and recent Micheal O'Hare School of Acting graduate Bruce Boxleitner; and the aforementioned Season 5, which made promises not even a Swedish prostitute could keep.

I would highly recommend staying very very far away from Crusade, but I know there are some here that truly enjoyed it, to whom I say, "Really? OK." (Of course, all they have to do is point to my Meet the Feebles and Troma DVDs to shut me up.)
Admiral Piett: Impossible! Are calcs proves us otherwise.
" Blalock's 'Shadow Puppets' To Get California Release" <-- Best headline ever on this site.