• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Do you have all six movies on video?

Started by Captain Jean-Luc Picard, June 09, 2007, 02:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Do you have all six movies on video?  :)

I have the theatrical edition of the original trilogy on VHS.  However, I plan to upgrade these to DVD.  I'm going to get those Special Edition 2-Disc DVD's that feature the Special Edition version of the movie on Disc 1 with the Theatrical Edition of the movie on Disc 2.  Unfortunately, this means I don't get the box set special feature disc, but a friend is giving me an extra copy that his family has.

I have the first two prequels on DVD, though Attack of the Clones is in fullscreen. :blink I plan to replace that with a widscreen DVD and get Revenge of the Sith, then the saga will be complete!  :biggrin

Dan M

Yes, I've got them all on DVD.  I don't have the theatrical editions of the OT films.  Other than one or two bits, I prefer the Special Editions.

Geekyfanboy

I have every single DVD of Star Wars.. all widescreen..  When I watch them I do tend to lean more towards the Special editions versions.. but sometimes it fun to just sit back and watch the original.

Ktrek

I have all six films with the special edition versions. I liked the original release of the episodes 4,5 and 6 but I am not a purist to the point that I feel they could not have been improved upon and I really enjoy the special edition versions.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

I'm not a purist either, but I don't like the idea of altering a movie beyond restoring deleted scenes.  However, if they put the original and altered versions of the movie on video, then I'm OK with it. :)

Ktrek

Quote from: Captain Jean-Luc Picard on June 09, 2007, 06:27:28 PM
I'm not a purist either, but I don't like the idea of altering a movie beyond restoring deleted scenes.  However, if they put the original and altered versions of the movie on video, then I'm OK with it. :)

I'm not opposed to it especially when the director is involved. It's his vision and what you are saying is that once a film is done and released the director should not be able to change it? Well, then I guess Robert Wise is wrong is the directors cut edition of Star Trek The Motion Picture then too? (BTW the directors cut is far far better than the original) As well as the Star Trek HD remastered series and all the new cool sfx they added? Anyway, it is Lucas' baby and if he felt the original releases didn't really show all he envisioned then I think he has the right to add whatever sfx he wants to improve them. Now fans can debate that till the cows come home and I certainly understand why people want to take a purist position and I take the same position about classic films of Hollywood's Golden Age but I think it's different when the director is alive and wants to refine his product.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Quote from: Ktrek on June 09, 2007, 06:50:15 PM
I'm not opposed to it especially when the director is involved. It's his vision and what you are saying is that once a film is done and released the director should not be able to change it?
No.  I am saying both versions of the movie should be available on video.

QuoteWell, then I guess Robert Wise is wrong is the directors cut edition of Star Trek The Motion Picture then too? (BTW the directors cut is far far better than the original)
I love the Director's Cut, but I was dissapointed that the Theatrical Edition of the movie was not included on Disc 1 of the 2-Disc DVD release.  There was room for it, so why not include it?

QuoteAs well as the Star Trek HD remastered series and all the new cool sfx they added?
The new special effects look horrible for two reasons.  The first is that 2000's special effects with 1960's footage does not work at all!  The second is that the new special effects aren't nearly as good as those from VOY and ENT.  The Star Trek Remastered Special Effects look cartoonish.  They are so detailed, yet they move as if they were motion-control models.  It just looks plastic and fake.  Cleaning up the effects is one thing, but replacing them is a big no-no in my book.  Paramount CBS is welcome to do whatever they want, but I will stick with the DVD release containing the unaltered episodes. :)

QuoteAnyway, it is Lucas' baby and if he felt the original releases didn't really show all he envisioned then I think he has the right to add whatever sfx he wants to improve them.
Did I say he had no right to alter the movies?  No.  I merely said I don't like the idea of altering the movies.  I also said that as long as both versions of each movie are available on DVD, I'm cool with the special editions.

The point I am trying to make is that I don't mind altering a film so long as the original version continues to be available on video, because there will always be people who prefer the original, unaltered film.

QuoteNow fans can debate that till the cows come home and I certainly understand why people want to take a purist position and I take the same position about classic films of Hollywood's Golden Age but I think it's different when the director is alive and wants to refine his product.
I say the director, or anyone else for that matter, can alter the movie however they like so long as they also continue to make the original version available to the audience.

I honestly don't know why George Lucas didn't put both the Special Editions and Theatrical Editions of the original trilogy in the box set release to begin with.  I guess that's not as profitable.