• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Who wants to be a 3 dimensional artist?! Use Maya

Started by Q, June 02, 2007, 12:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Q

I've been working with Autodesk Maya for a good time now.  It is an AWESOME program for making your 3D objects, fairly easy to learn, but requires some time and effort to makes some pretty impressive stuff.  It is the same program that the animators of the Lord of the Rings used.  All orcs, gollum, the siege of Minas Tirith was all done in Maya (except for the actors of course!).  I have the link to the free version here.  You can do anything you like with it, no restrictions what so ever except that you cannot sell the stuff you make with it.  So try it, its 240 Megabytes, but most computers today can handle it.  Be sure to take a look at the tutorial movies.  If you don't, you will have a pretty tough time getting started (PERSONAL EXPERIENCE).  So get on making your own Star Ships, plasma grenades, or whatever.  The sky's the limit.   

:cheers

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=7639525

I will probably post some of the stuff I make soon and how I made them.  BTW those who are good with photoshop or know people good at it have a very distinct advantage as you can make your own images or gradients to wrap around surface.
"If it wasn't for us [SG-1], you would have a snake up your head instead of your head up your ***." -Colonel O'Neil

Darkmolerman

I can only express my gratitude in Rico's silly emoticons  :jawdrop  :worthy :worthy :worthy :worthy :worthy :worthy :worthy :worthy :worthy :worthy :worthy :worthy :worthy :worthy :worthy :worthy :worthy :worthy :worthy  :Bow: :Bow: :Bow: :Bow: :Bow: :Bow: :Bow: :Bow: :Bow: :Bow: :Bow: :Bow: :Bow:

I always wanted to do this (watch i ma going to find out i completely misunderstood you)
"He can't act out of a cardboard box"- Rick Moyer

"I know the answer now sometimes the doctor must look at this planet and look at it in shame" -Gwen Cooper

Darkmolerman

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! well my MAc is 1 version to old NOOO i so wanted to do this! Plus my PC is dead stupid (memory wise)

"I know the answer now sometimes the doctor must look at this planet and look at it in shame" -Gwen Cooper

Q

Sorry to hear that man.  Hmmmmm... Do you have access to another computer or something?  And about your PC, if it has a capacity bigger than 240 megs, reformat it.  Get all the stuff you want on a separate hard drive and wipe the memory completely.

BTW I am dead serious about the 3D art and NO you are NOT dreaming.  They also use Maya in the production on Halo 3 too.  :ohbaby 
"If it wasn't for us [SG-1], you would have a snake up your head instead of your head up your ***." -Colonel O'Neil

Darkmolerman

How can you reformanat? Would reformating help? I have a 24 gig hard drive and a stupid 4 gig but at the moment it only has 243 megs.

Q

I'm not quite sure... Reformating it will make it run a WHOLE lot faster then.  Look it up on the internet, I'm sure theres a guide to reformating a PC somewhere.  Reformating wipes everything clean on the computer...

Darkmolerman

yeah i did that to the 24 gig but i can't make that primary (if i try my comp goes to DOs and says check media cable or something like that)

Q

Ok u have to reinstall Windows XP if you have it in order to reformat it.  Back-up all the files you need and make sure that Everything You NEED is backed up as in you can get it back.  And if you share the computer make sure that everyone is ok about the reformat and has all of their files backed up too otherwise ur gonna really piss off some people.

Darkmolerman

It is ony mine, My freind was going to give me the discs but he diden't yet.

Darkmolerman

Quote from: Q on June 02, 2007, 12:41:12 PM
Sorry to hear that man.  Hmmmmm... Do you have access to another computer or something?  And about your PC, if it has a capacity bigger than 240 megs, reformat it.  Get all the stuff you want on a separate hard drive and wipe the memory completely.

BTW I am dead serious about the 3D art and NO you are NOT dreaming.  They also use Maya in the production on Halo 3 too.  :ohbaby 

WOW they do? SWEET!

Q

good man.. ok then I guess ur gonna have to go badger ur friend for the disks :) Now don't take my advice for granted.  I would look in a book at like Borders or Barnes & Noble about  doing something like this.  Or just ask a person who actually knows what they are doing LOL. Cheers man, hope u get on making some sweet graphics, I already figured out how to make a plasma grenades from halo :D

Q

Darkmolerman

Heh cool, yeah i just want a cool 3d designer thing, also NOOOOOO i need a new motherboard to run it i only have intel Pentium III Processer!

Darkmolerman

Quote from: Q on June 02, 2007, 12:56:27 PM
Check this out, All Maya but it would be a HUGE project, probably took a pretty big team to make.  Not actual game play I don't think but... its awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCsdPszJLNQ&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Egoogle%2Ecom%2Fsearch%3Fhl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox%2Da%26rls%3Dorg%2Emozilla%253Aen%2DUS%253Aofficial%26hs%3Dn9t%26q%3DHaloiurl%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fimg%2Eyoutube%2Ecom%2Fvi%2FuCsdPszJLNQ%2F2%2Ejpg

I love that the only thing real was the boys but it looked most fake! That was a Maya thing? WOW!

Q