• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

What was your first reaction when you heard George Taki was gay?

Started by space_invader64, May 25, 2007, 07:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryancd

Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on June 04, 2007, 09:47:06 AM
:) Thanks for that post Bryan.. I have been really good at biting my tongue with some of these comments.  I have to keep telling myself it's all in good fun.. but sometimes it's tough. 

By all means, Kenny :)
Actually, I would be most interested to hear your thoughts on this and in general when a celebrity makes an announcement like this. 

Geekyfanboy

Well most of the time when a celebrity makes an announcement like this it's already been known in the "gay" community for many years. George Taki never hid who he was, I have known he was gay for many many years. He just never announced it publicly, and to be honest it's no ones business but his own.

Does knowing that he is gay now change the way you look at him as an actor? It shouldn't. Just because George is gay doesn't make Sulu gay or any of the other characters he has played over the years, unless of course he was playing a gay character.  :)

psikeyhackr

Quote from: moyer777 on June 02, 2007, 09:31:43 PMHave you ever listened to Spock's Beard?

Spock's Beard?

Since I never heard of it I guess not.

I am in my 50's and back when I first watched Star Trek the word "Gay" wasn't even used like that.  So any of the actors being homosexual at the time never crossed my mind.  So this came as a kind of Chrono-Culture shock to me.  But what can you expect from science fiction.  LOL 

It doesn't matter to me personally and religiously I decided I was an agnostic 2 years  before Sar Trek came on the air.  It makes no sense to me that anyone cares about gay marriage.  It just sounds like an excuse for organizations to avoid paying benefits to gay couples to me.

psik
Andre Norton does it better than J.K.Rowling

moyer777

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Locutus

Quote from: Bryancd on June 04, 2007, 09:41:15 AM
Gentlemen, some of these posts, though clearly in good fun, could be taken with some offense by others, be careful to keep the jocularity respectful of anyone's personal preferences. :)

I hope you don't mean me.

I am part of a GBLT scifi group, GBLT gaming group, I run a convention with members of those two groups, my wife and I are bi, and we go to gay pride parades and lived in the gay area of town for many years, only moving when it got too pricey and we had to move closer to our work. 

I do tend to forget people don't know this is where I'm hailing from on these matters, so I make jokes that may seem like straddling the line, but I certainly have no cause to offend. 

Admiral Piett: Impossible! Are calcs proves us otherwise.
" Blalock's 'Shadow Puppets' To Get California Release" <-- Best headline ever on this site.

Locutus

Quote from: moyer777 on June 04, 2007, 11:23:29 AM
Spock's beard is a progressive rock band.  Pretty cool.

Spock's beard, in the context of this discussion, has a completely different meaning than the one intended; i.e. the Mirror Universe Spock with the beard.
Admiral Piett: Impossible! Are calcs proves us otherwise.
" Blalock's 'Shadow Puppets' To Get California Release" <-- Best headline ever on this site.

Bryancd

No. I was just raising a generic cautionary flag in the thread, not signaling out anyone. It's all good :).

Four Lights

Quote from: Bryancd on June 05, 2007, 11:24:14 AM
No. I was just raising a generic cautionary lfag in the thread, not signaling out anyone. It's all good :).

I think you ment to type "cautionary flag"... at least I hope so.
"If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Spock "Star Trek" 2009

Bryancd

Quote from: Four Lights on June 05, 2007, 02:39:50 PM
Quote from: Bryancd on June 05, 2007, 11:24:14 AM
No. I was just raising a generic cautionary lfag in the thread, not signaling out anyone. It's all good :).

I think you ment to type "cautionary flag"... at least I hope so.

As George himself would say, "Oh, my!" Ah...yeah, that would be flag not something elese entirely...

iceman

I wasnt really surprised this seems to be the norm in holiwood these days, it also does not carry the stigma that it once did. I have met george takei many times and he is the nicest person you could meet.. Besides it does not change the roll he played in one of our favorite tv shows.

Trekkygeek

My first thought was "Good, I'm glad that he came out". Many many people live being afraid of coming out, and some people in this forum are just cofirming their worries. I am glad that he thought he felt comfortable enough to do so. He has set a good example to others who worry about small minded peoples views. To me, this is encouraging,the sooner we can all live together and live by I.D.I.C. then the sooner the inhabitants of this world can mature into the race that deserves to be here
You could learn something from Mr Spock Doctor..... Stop thinking with your glands"

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

My first thought was, "Ew!  :o "

My second thought was, "Who cares? ::) "

markinro

My first thought was "really" ??

then my next thought was "eeewwwww..."

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: markinro on June 08, 2007, 01:44:09 PM
My first thought was "really" ??

then my next thought was "eeewwwww..."

Glad to see that bigotry is still alive and kicking.. we are a far way off of IDIC. :(

Rico

Hmmm........ 

I think this thread is done.  Closing it up.