• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Ya know, Voyager really is charming...

Started by Bryancd, May 13, 2007, 04:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Locutus

Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on May 14, 2007, 10:37:09 AM
quesiton for those who don't really like Voyager. Did you watch every episode??  I ask because I have a friend who watched two episodes of Enterprise and told me that he hated it. I don't understand how you can hate something after just two viewings.

OK, whoa, big fella. ;) I didn't say I hated it. I completely agree with you that you can't make an informed value judgment after such limited exposure.  Hey, I really enjoyed Enterprise, even the bad episodes, and I watched every single ep on TV! I watched Voyager for 5 of the 7 seasons it was on, because I have the opinion that we have to participate in any and all scifi on TV, or the networks will think we hate it: ie, if we don't watch a comedy show, the networks think we hate those actors or that premise, but if we don't watch a scifi show, they think we hate all scifi. (I missed the first two seasons because I didn't have access to UPN.)

I liked parts of the show: I really enjoyed the female captain, I liked Jeri Ryan (I think she's a great actress, and did very well in that part), I liked most of the characters, and I thought th interplay between Chakotay and Janeway was really well informed, considering how they came from two different backgrounds and viewpoints. The introduction of the Maqui to the Enterprise way of thinking was interesting in how it played out, and I even liked Neelix.

However, it felt like most episodes they had nothing to do, and just hung around until an alarm went off, or someone attacked, and then Janeway "diplomatically" solved the problem alone. The idea of incorporating alien tech was cool, but to do so they pretty much voided the Prime Directive, although yes, they weren't sure if they were going to get home and they needed help. Janeway invoked Starfleet she felt like it, but didn't fairly apply it to herself.

I guess it was more uneven than unenjoyable, and I felt that, especially after TNG and DS9, that they could have done much better. But, as I said, I watched every week, and found something in each ep that was worthwhile. Unlike TNG and DS9, though, I just don't feel drawn back in for the repeats, and am ambivalent towards the series as a whole.
Admiral Piett: Impossible! Are calcs proves us otherwise.
" Blalock's 'Shadow Puppets' To Get California Release" <-- Best headline ever on this site.

Bryancd

Yeah, the Doctor was a great characater and, although somewhat Data derivitive, added a great element to the show. I think a criticism that is very fair is when people complain that the Docotr and Seven of Nine shows were VERY frequent in seasons 6 and 7. I have been watching the whole series in order and man, does Jeri Ryan feature strongly in every episode and there are a ton which are ALL about her. Same with the Docotr. Obviously a repsonse to positive viewer reactions to the characters and an attempt to generate ratings, but man is it obvious!

Bryancd

Locutus makes a great point about the whole series floundering a bit and having a lack of direction. It really wasn't a quest for home show as much as a let's see how many times we can stop and get into trouble show! Maybe if Janeway had just put the pedal to the metal and stopped scanning every freakin' anamoly they would have had better luck!

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Bryancd on May 14, 2007, 11:19:54 AM
Yeah, the Doctor was a great characater and, although somewhat Data derivitive, added a great element to the show. I think a criticism that is very fair is when people complain that the Docotr and Seven of Nine shows were VERY frequent in seasons 6 and 7. I have been watching the whole series in order and man, does Jeri Ryan feature strongly in every episode and there are a ton which are ALL about her. Same with the Docotr. Obviously a repsonse to positive viewer reactions to the characters and an attempt to generate ratings, but man is it obvious!

Yeah I think each series had it's favorite and there for had more episodes made of them.

TOS - Kirk, Spock and McCoy
TNG - Picard, Data and Worf
DS9 - Sisco, Kira and O'Brian
VOY - Janeway, Seven and the Doctor

Jen

All good points guys.  7 of 9 was in more episodes because the Trek audience is mostly made up of male viewers. So yes, they included her in more episodes to boost ratings.

I love the funny/crazy characters.
In order of my favorites:

TNG: Picard, Data, Dr. Crusher, Lwaxana Troi, Dianna Troi, Worf
Enterprise: Phlox, Archer, Trip, T'Pol
DS9: Quark, Jadzia, O'Brian, Bashir
Voyager: Nelix, The Doctor, Seven, Janeway
TOS: Spock, Scotty, McCoy

Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Kirk-Fu

I loved Voyager, but admit that by season 5, watched only occasionally.
Not sure why, just lost interest.  I picked it back up regularly in season 6 and watched to the finale.
Overall, I consider it my third fav behind TOS and TNG.
I think Kate Mulgrew is a fantastic actor, as is Robert Picardo, so to watch them for 7 seasons, its a treat. Some of the Voyager episodes were really fun, they definately took some chances with wild story lines. Remember the dinosaurs in space :-) and the Tom Paris sci-fi serial, Flash Gordon style. And as stated in previous posts, while they werent in the Alpha quadrant, they still met a lot of new and unique aliens.
Plus, as a fan of the ships, I love the Intrepid Class.

Locutus

I have to admit, I loved the Tom Paris sci fi serial episodes.
Admiral Piett: Impossible! Are calcs proves us otherwise.
" Blalock's 'Shadow Puppets' To Get California Release" <-- Best headline ever on this site.

PepperDude

QuoteI have been watching the whole series in order and man, does Jeri Ryan feature strongly in every episode and there are a ton which are ALL about her.

Quote7 of 9 was in more episodes because the Trek audience is mostly made up of male viewers. So yes, they included her in more episodes to boost ratings.

I didn't watch many Voyager episodes throughout the seven seasons. I remember watching a few 7 of 9 episodes and I thought she was pretty. Nowadays, I'm trying to watch as many episodes as I can on Spike and everytime I see 7 of 9 I'm simply awe-struck at her beauty. Man, what was I thinking 10 years ago? Pretty!? :confused  Please! That woman is gorgeous.  :ohbaby

coastgames

My family does not like any of them but TNG.  We caught on late.  Like season 5 or 6 before we new it was even on.
DS9 I watched but it is my least favorite series.  Quark gets on my nerves :)
Voyager I tried to watch them all but with the family they way they were I had to settle for reruns later on.  I watch one or two episods a day during the week on Spike.  I really like it. 
Enterprise took me a little bit to get into.  But I like Archer.  The rest of the crew I was not familiar with.
I do have to say I was sad to see it end.
TNG as i said is my favorite and I have watched the entire series numerous times. 

I am sure I may get stoned or phasers pointed at me but the Klingon episodes in any series I just did not care for.  I liked the Worf character but just did not care for any of the episodes focusing around the Klingons in general.
Parse Error!!  What do you mean Parse Error?

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: coastgames on May 18, 2007, 10:59:42 AM
I am sure I may get stoned or phasers pointed at me but the Klingon episodes in any series I just did not care for.  I liked the Worf character but just did not care for any of the episodes focusing around the Klingons in general.

I'm not a huge Klingon fan either, I enjoy the epsisode and have seen them many many times... but to be honest when I go to re-watch episodes on DVD I don't pop in the Klingon ones.

moyer777

I liked a lot of the Klingon episodes.. my most favorite were..

The emissary
Sins of the Father
A matter of honor

and the one where Sisko, Odo, Obrien and ?? were made to look like Klingons, they were on their way to assinate Gawlron... what was that called?  That was way cool.

I think Data episodes were some of my faves.

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com