• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Star Wars Live Action TV Series

Started by Geekyfanboy, May 01, 2007, 10:47:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moyer777

I am hoping this will be awesome.  More STAR WARS ... YES!

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

M-5

More Star Wars!  Just what the doctor ordered. :r2d2line

Kirk-Fu

Isnt Lucas capable of going elsewhere in his universe? I am a Star Wars fan also, but im really tired of the fact that GL seems locked in pre-ROTJ mode. I just cant get excited about a show that is between ep4 and 5, or 3 and 4, or 2 and 3 or whatever.

And no Vader? Thats silly. I would like to think that major players like that would be invovled, at least on some level. He is the Emperors 2nd, for the entire time the show will take place. Put a guy in the suit, digitally do the voice, and avoid the 'NOOOOO!!' stuff.

I will likely watch it, but im no more excited about this than the whole Caprica thing for BSG...it all makes me sleepy.

Geekyfanboy

This is some very disappointing news... maybe will see them sometime in the future.

http://blastr.com/2010/08/star-wars-live-action-tv.php

Star Wars live action TV show shelved because it costs too much

If you've been holding your breath for that live-action Star Wars TV show we told you about, it's time you stopped—because the guy who should know better than anyone has said the series he's been working on for at least five years won't be happening anytime soon.

The series was meant to be (depending on whom you listened to) either 100 episodes set between Star Wars: Episode III—Revenge of the Sith and Star Wars: Episode IV—A New Hope or a massive arc of somewhere around 400 episodes focused on non-Jedi or Sith characters.

But during a special reception held as part of digital screenings of Star Wars—Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back at Chicago's Field Museum a couple of months back, George Lucas spoke to 102 people who paid $200 apiece for the privilege and let them know it was unlikely they'd see ANY of those episodes soon.

Here's what he had to say (and we can't believe we missed this until now):

The live action TV show is kind of on hold because we have scripts, but we don't know how to do 'em. Because, they literally are Star Wars, only we're going to have to try to do them ... a tenth the cost. And, it's a huge challenge ... lot bigger than what we thought it was gonna be.

So are you upset because a live-action Star Wars TV series is proving impossible? Or relieved?

moyer777

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Bryancd

Yeah, they reported that on the ForceCast last month.

Ktrek

I'm not entirely upset. I would have watched them if they made it to TV but I think Star Wars is a better fit for the big screen. Star Trek on the other hand I think is a better fit for TV and I would like to see another series sometime in the future.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

ori-STUDFARM

Personally, I think it is all part of the behind the scenes wheeling and dealing. I'm sure talks will still be taking place and it'll come....eventually. As for being better fit for the big screen....I'm not so sure. If they did what they said and stayed away from the main characters for the most part, I'm sure it would work great.

Rico

Sad news, but I'll tell you George I think you need to find a way to control your costs better.  Looks at the fan films out there.  Yes, I know they are not quite SW film quality, but man, you don't need to spend millions to do this.  That's what computer tech has allowed us to do.  You can do some amazing stuff these days.  Frankly, I think it's a bit of a lame excuse - the cost.  Really?? 

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on August 06, 2010, 01:45:37 PM
Sad news, but I'll tell you George I think you need to find a way to control your costs better.  Looks at the fan films out there.  Yes, I know they are not quite SW film quality, but man, you don't need to spend millions to do this.  That's what computer tech has allowed us to do.  You can do some amazing stuff these days.  Frankly, I think it's a bit of a lame excuse - the cost.  Really?? 

I agree, this doesn't seem to pass the smell test. I think the cost issue is an excuse to shelve the project. Why? Beats me, maybe they weren't happy with the early development direction. The fanboy in me hopes it's so they can make a new movie as that is George's passion, but that's likely wishfull thinking.

jedijeff

There never seemed to be much information released about the Live Action series to make me believe that this would become a reality, and some of the information was conflicting. I guess in the end, I was never really expecting it to happen, so I am not all that disappointed.

Bryancd

Quote from: jedijeff on August 06, 2010, 04:27:39 PM
There never seemed to be much information released about the Live Action series to make me believe that this would become a reality, and some of the information was conflicting. I guess in the end, I was never really expecting it to happen, so I am not all that disappointed.

True, there was a lot of rumor and internet speculation, but both Steve Sansweet and Rick McCallum both discussed it in public and at conventions over the past year. So there's lot's of smoke and a tiny bit of fire, but not enough I suppose.

Bryancd

Someone posted this on the RPF and I recall hearing a similar story. Now this does make sense. Play a little hardball for a while to get the concession you want. That's not production cost $, things like this are REAL $ to a long term production.

"The main delay for filming ( season 1 and most of season 2 ( as of march 2010 ) scripts are in the bag ) is coz dear old Uncle George has his sights set on filming in a certain eastern european country. Said country is due to change its taxation rules in favour of the film industry at an as yet undecided point in time in the future. As soon as this happens filming will start."

ori-STUDFARM

....I thought they'd been casting already in Australia. I seem to remember rumours a few months back on the Forcecast. (unsubstantiated as they were)

Rico

Quote from: ori-STUDFARM on August 07, 2010, 05:04:23 AM
....I thought they'd been casting already in Australia. I seem to remember rumours a few months back on the Forcecast. (unsubstantiated as they were)

Yep, I had heard that too.  Maybe it will still happen - someday.  The Celebration Con is coming up and I'm sure we will learn more from there.