• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Alternate ending to ST: Generations - video

Started by Rico, April 17, 2007, 05:35:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poodyglitz

Quote from: metron07 on April 17, 2007, 08:23:27 PM
All I can say after reading everyone's comments below again is.. I have another dream.

A dream where the people who make these films include a group of serious fans like us to help them make these script decisions.

Yes, I know, but how would it remain a secret before the movie opens?

My answer, make such a great movie that knowing the plot outline will never be better than seeing it. Remember Lord of the Rings anyone!!!

It may be time for such a movement in the 40+ year history of this franchise. More interaction with us from the movie makers and less of a passive roll by the fans.

In every revolution there are people with a vision.

I know, just a dream. But it's fun to think about.

Or, we as fans can band together and show CBS/Paramount how it's done. I truly believe that the revolution is just beginning. While there's a ways to go, some folks have made admirable contributions. One day, there will be a sci-fi (hopefully Star Trek) episode or movie that will give us all hope. I'd like to think that one day, I'll be able to take a stab at it.

Bottom line, it will take an enthusiastic team of folks who are determined to produce something of quality, along the lines of "Lord Of The Rings".

Darkmolerman

Quote from: Poodyglitz on April 17, 2007, 08:04:47 PM
Quote from: Darkmolerman on April 17, 2007, 08:02:00 PM
lol i got tierd of 2 people beating eachother up....WHOA! what kind of kid am i....

One who appreciates a finely crafted, well choreograped fight scene, I would imagine. :-)
Yeah I like the Starwars ones, well i like fight scene with music and not grunts
"He can't act out of a cardboard box"- Rick Moyer

"I know the answer now sometimes the doctor must look at this planet and look at it in shame" -Gwen Cooper

Jobydrone

Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on April 17, 2007, 06:26:18 PM
Do you prefer the alternate ending and Kirk getting shot in the back?

Is this a serious or sarcastic question?  I haven't watched the alternate ending since the extended DVD first came out so I can't really say, though that question like asking which you would prefer, a punch in the face or a kick in the balls.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Poodyglitz

Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on April 19, 2007, 08:20:31 PMIs this a serious or sarcastic question?  I haven't watched the alternate ending since the extended DVD first came out so I can't really say, though that question like asking which you would prefer, a punch in the face or a kick in the balls.

Oh, no he di-int!

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on April 19, 2007, 08:20:31 PM
Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on April 17, 2007, 06:26:18 PM
Do you prefer the alternate ending and Kirk getting shot in the back?

Is this a serious or sarcastic question?  I haven't watched the alternate ending since the extended DVD first came out so I can't really say, though that question like asking which you would prefer, a punch in the face or a kick in the balls.

It's a serious question, I know people didn't like that they killed Kirk off but if you had to choice between the two endings which one would you choose?

Poodyglitz

I say they should have done an homage to the end of "Dr. Strangelove..." and had Kirk ride the missile into the horizon -- to the strains of "There Will Never Be Another You". It would have set the same tone that the concept of The Nexus set.

metron07

If I had a say at the time the film was made, I say find a way to get him back to the Nexus instead of killing him. This way he still would have passed the command to the Next Gen films, but it would have made it easier at any time in the past or future to bring him back. Pity they did not decide on that. All I can hope is they do the same thing with Kirk they did with Guinean, that there is still a peace of him in the Nexus and someone finds it somewhere in the future or the past.

Sounds like, , , FUN!

Movie Sean

I guess I am in the minority.

Kirk died the way he lived.

He was doing all he could to save people from those that would do harm to them.

Sounds like  a good death to me.
Call me cocky, but if there's an alien I can't kill, I haven't met him and killed him yet.

Darkmolerman

well for Kirk he would love to die like that, no ambushes
"He can't act out of a cardboard box"- Rick Moyer

"I know the answer now sometimes the doctor must look at this planet and look at it in shame" -Gwen Cooper

Picard_delta_5

I like the movie one so much better.... i agree with Sean... Kirk died the way he lived... "It was fun"

fun fact regarding George Lucas and all the comments about the great fight scenes of star wars... George Lucas didn't direct / choreograph the 2 great fight scenes (yoda vs emperor, obi vs anakin) in Revenge... Spielberg did... legal issues prevented Lucas from crediting him as a guest director...
Star Trek Will Rise Again

Poodyglitz

Quote from: Picard_delta_5 on April 24, 2007, 08:25:35 PMfun fact regarding George Lucas and all the comments about the great fight scenes of star wars... George Lucas didn't direct / choreograph the 2 great fight scenes (yoda vs emperor, obi vs anakin) in Revenge... Spielberg did... legal issues prevented Lucas from crediting him as a guest director...

Cool fact. I did not know that. Thanks.

Darth Gaos

I dunno I liked the movie version well enough.   I'm with Darkmolerman here...that alternate fight scene was WAY too long.  I really had no problem with Kirk dying or the way he died...it was a passing of the torch I guess.  I personally think a "Kirk's life montage" would have been horrible and VERY cliche.
I think it was Socrates who spoke the immortal words:  I drank WHAT?

Movie Sean

Yeah, unless it's on South Park the montage thing would have been horrible.
Call me cocky, but if there's an alien I can't kill, I haven't met him and killed him yet.

Jobydrone

As an interesting side note, I am reading the third book in the Crucible series of Star Trek TOS novels, and the concept behind this one is that Kirk, at the moment of his death on Veridian, is transported back to the Nexus to continue his adventures.  The catch, at least so far, is that he can't leave the Nexus because if he does the injuries he sustained during his fall would instantly kill him.  I haven't got much further than that yet, when I finish I'll send Rico a full review of the whole trilogy for the podcast.  The second novel, featuring Spock was quite good.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Movie Sean

I like how wide a berth Star Trek authors are given, they come up with some great stuff.