• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

What's The Silliest TOS Moment?

Started by Poodyglitz, March 30, 2007, 05:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poodyglitz

I think this ranks up (or down, if you prefer) there:

Click here

It was The Sixties.

Bryancd

Good God, man, an extended version of an already awful scene. Have you no shame.... ;)

the_wasd_man

<annoying old man mode>Those darn space hippies with their hippie music and their hippie ways... pfft, "Eden", darn drug-induced fantasy if ya ask me! </annoying old man mode>

JoSpiv

Since the random hippie moment is taken.

I'll say the 2nd sillest moment is when the Prime Directive goes totally out the window in The Apple and they destroy those people's entire basis of religon and culture.
"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing as wanting.  It is not logical, but it is often true." - Spock

Poodyglitz

Quote from: JoSpiv on March 30, 2007, 10:04:25 PM
Since the random hippie moment is taken.

I'll say the 2nd sillest moment is when the Prime Directive goes totally out the window in The Apple and they destroy those people's entire basis of religon and culture.

Good one.

JoSpiv

I also think the Episode, "Assignment: Earth" is just a silly episode. 

That one is just a mess in every possible way.    The sillest part, is the first line.  Where Kirk says they are there for research.   Are you honestly telling me that Star Fleet allowed to travel back in time and do research???   And if so, why not send a science ship with historians on it.   

"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing as wanting.  It is not logical, but it is often true." - Spock

Poodyglitz

Quote from: JoSpiv on April 05, 2007, 01:09:54 AM
I also think the Episode, "Assignment: Earth" is just a silly episode. 

That one is just a mess in every possible way.    The sillest part, is the first line.  Where Kirk says they are there for research.   Are you honestly telling me that Star Fleet allowed to travel back in time and do research???   And if so, why not send a science ship with historians on it.   

No kill I, but they did have Spock who could make the calculations. Time travel was a new thing for the Federation, so they entrusted the task to the ones with the experience. Remember, the mission was "To boldly go..." :-)

I buy that more than a temporal cold war.

I'll admit that the episode was a conceit, but imagine a nine year old boy in the 60's (me) watching this â€" and Terri Garr. It was also at the height of the spy craze. Additionally, the cheesy fake set quotient was low on this one.

Bryancd

You guys realize that "Assignment:Earth" was created by Gene Rodenberry to showcase a whole new series featuring Gary 7, right? The network didn't pick it up, but the episode was sort of a cross over pilot concept and not a stand alone Star Trek episode.

Poodyglitz

Quote from: Bryancd on April 05, 2007, 09:13:29 AM
You guys realize that "Assignment:Earth" was created by Gene Rodenberry to showcase a whole new series featuring Gary 7, right? The network didn't pick it up, but the episode was sort of a cross over pilot concept and not a stand alone Star Trek episode.

Yes, and I wish the network had picked it up. It was a cooler concept than "Earth: Final Conflict" and "Genesis II". Obviously, the roles of Kirk and Spock were greatly minimized. They pretty much functioned as narrators.

JoSpiv

Quote from: Bryancd on April 05, 2007, 09:13:29 AM

Yeah I know.   But that doesn't make it any less silly.  :)

Jen

Quote from: Poodyglitz on March 30, 2007, 05:31:17 PM
I think this ranks up (or down, if you prefer) there:

Click here

It was The Sixties.
Hey Brother! That is my favorite scene to make fun of. Groovy baby! Yeah!

Here's one for you, third season of TOS, "And the Children Shall Lead ".
Its almost unbearable to watch...At least the "Spock's Brain's" level of badness made it somewhat amusing. The only video I could find for an example, was in German...Well, I guess its proof that it was bad in German too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veGvSZYx950
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

jedijeff

The Silliest moment for me is the second season epsiode The Omega Glory. All the stuff surrounding the American Constitution and the Yangs and Kohms seemed over the top to me.

Trekkygeek

Cannot think of the episode title but its the one where Kirk gets ridden by the little guy. Kirk pretending to be a horse. You know the one, the one where they all had telekinetic powers except the little guy, oh what was it called... Hold On.....(checking my files)..... Ah yes thats it, "Platos stepchildren".
You could learn something from Mr Spock Doctor..... Stop thinking with your glands"

Movie Sean

I don't know why, but Uhura singing in Charlie X kills me everytime I see it. 

I always forget about it, and fumble for fast forward every time I watch it.

Lame!
Call me cocky, but if there's an alien I can't kill, I haven't met him and killed him yet.

Poodyglitz

Quote from: Movie Sean on April 11, 2007, 10:25:43 AM
I don't know why, but Uhura singing in Charlie X kills me everytime I see it. 

I always forget about it, and fumble for fast forward every time I watch it.

Lame!

It's hard with the musical styles being so different from today, especially since TV then took an extremely conservative approach to music. Listening back to even Disney music from the 60's can be either extremeley humorous or unnerving.

Another set of moments were the 60's experimental theater scenes in the episodes "I, Mudd" and "Plato's Stepchildren" They're pretty funny. The scene where they confuse the androids is priceless.