• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

What's your favorite movie quote?

Started by Jen, December 12, 2006, 01:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jen

What is your favorite movie quote? It doesn't have to be a Trek or Star Wars movie...but it does have to be a geeky film. ;)
Mine is from the Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers, when Gandalf describes his battle with the demon:
"...Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside."
I remember when I read that line in the bookâ€"it sang, and then I saw the movie and heard Ian McKellen say it and his voice and the scene brought the words I read to life. That line is so powerful and very Shakespearean...I love it.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Trekkygeek

I remember a classic line from the film Christine which might no b nerdy but the main character was certainly a nerd. Arnie Cunningham is trying to restore his '58 Plymoth Fury white over red in the garage he has hired. The thing is a wreck and the garage owner just looks at it and says "You can't polish a turd" Classic line, and one I try to use often ;D
You could learn something from Mr Spock Doctor..... Stop thinking with your glands"

Jen

AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Darth Gaos

I have a couple that stand out:

The Empire Strikes Back:

Darth Vader:  The Force is strong with you young Skywalker, but you are not a Jedi yet

This, IMO is one of the bets delivered lines of the OT.  Many are surprised that I don't pick "I am your Father" but it is because I LOVE how James Earl Jones read the above quoted line.

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective:

Dan Marino:   Hey Ace, ya got anymore of that gum?

Ace: That's none of your damn business and I'll thank you to stay out of my personal affairs.

Quite possibly the most comically absurd response to a simple question of all time.  I use this line on almost a daily basis in one form or another.

Animal Crackers:

Groucho Marx:  This morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas.  How he got in my pajamas, I don" know.

Anyone who loves good comedies MUST put any of the Marx Brothers movies on their "must see" list.  The quick wit and physical, vaudevillian humor is STILL funny 70 years after these films were originally made.
I think it was Socrates who spoke the immortal words:  I drank WHAT?

Dan M

Darth Gaos, you're so right about the Marx Bros.  Duck Soup is, in my opinion, the funniest movie ever made.

My favorite movie quote of all is Jack Nicholson's whole speech at the end of A Few Good Men.

From sci-fi, I'd probably go with Picard in First Contact when he says:
They invade our space and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no further! And I will make them pay for what they've done.

It's a great bit, but Patrick Stewart absolutely knocks it out of the park.  The fury with which he says the word "I" in the last sentence is incredible.

A close second would be Sean Connery's intro to Highlander:
From the dawn of time we came, moving silently down through the centuries, living many secret lives. Struggling to reach the time of the Gathering, when the few who remain will battle to the last. No one has ever known we were among you... until now.

Darth Gaos

Two excellent quotes pickard.  I too LOVE the way Patrick Stewart delivers that particular line.  The one from Highlander by Connery that has always stood out for me is "Be wary Highlander, if your head comes away from your neck...it's over"  I love it if for no other reason than he delivers it with that Sean Connery goodness.

One othewr quick point on the Marx Brothers.  It still amazes me to this day how fast Groucho delivers his jokes.  They are movies that you have to pay attention too or you WILL miss some of the jokes....I love 'em

Dan M

My favorite Star Wars quote is Kenobi's "who's more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?"

However, the one I use a lot, jokingly, is Palpatine's "it is you who are mistaken, about a great .. many ... things."

PepperDude

I always remember one of Worf's lines from Star Trek: First Contact.  Worf recommends to Captain Picard that they must retreat from their current battle with the Borg but Picard replies, "You want to run away and blow up the ship, you COWARD!" 
"Jean-Luc...!" says Dr. Crusher knowing that he'd crossed the line and Worf would not take that insult lightly by probably bashing his face in.  Worf amazingly controls himself and tells Picard,
"If you were any other man, I would kill you where you stand!"

Dan M

Yeah, that's a great exchange.  Then it's resolved with Picard's "Mr. Worf, I think you are the bravest man I ever met" at the end of the film, which I've always found emotionally powerful.

I love First Contact.

Rico

Wow - tough question.  I have a few....

From "Raiders of the Lost Ark", Indy says to Marion, "It's not the years it's the mileage."

And of course from Trek, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one."

From "Star Wars" - "The force will be with you, always."

Many others, but those are a few that come to mind.

Darth Gaos

It's funny pickard...great minds think alike....I too have a favorite Palpatine line I use.  Anytime anyone tells how upset they are about something and how they would like to "take care" of the problem, I ALWAYS use:

"I know you would.  I can feel your anger.  It gives you focus, makes you stronger"

Probably one of the best delivered lines of the prequel trilogy.

Jen

Good quotes guys! Well... If we're adding Star Wars Quotes, then I can't resist adding a few of my favorites. Sometimes I like to use some of the shorter ones, when appropriate, in conversations with friends. Humm...maybe I shouldn't have admitted that.  :-\

FROM ANH
Han Solo: "Uh, everything's under control. Situation normal."
Imperial on intercom: "What happened?"
Han: "Uh, we had a slight weapons malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?"
Imperial: "We're sending a squad up."
Han: "Uh, uh, negative. We had a reactor leak here now. Give us a minute to lock it down. Large leak, very dangerous."
Imperial: "Who is this? What's your operating number?"
Han: "Uh..." [blasts intercom]
Han: "Boring conversation anyway."
Darth Vader: "I find your lack of faith disturbing."
Yoda: "Do, or do not. There is no try."

Yoda: “Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship.”

AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Trekkygeek

Quote from: PepperDude on December 18, 2006, 09:31:20 PM
"If you were any other man, I would kill you where you stand!"
Speaking of Worf. The funniest thing he says in the whole series is when the crew are dressed up as Robin Hood and his men. Worf says angrily "I AM NOT A MERRY MAN" Classic. :roflmao
You could learn something from Mr Spock Doctor..... Stop thinking with your glands"

iceman

My favourite quote is from Star Trek. The Wratg Of Khan  " Revenge is a dish best served cold".

John

Trekkygeek

"But he taaassks me, he taaassks me" ;D