• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Fanboys

Started by Geekyfanboy, November 15, 2006, 11:08:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

If you are a Star Wars fan than you guys have heard about his movie... well just in case you haven't here is a synopsis

"Fanboys is a comedy about friends, fans and delusions of grandeur. Fanboys takes place in the fall of 1998, a time when everything was pure and Star Wars ruled the world once again. We follow four life-long best friends who travel cross-country in an attempt to break into George Lucas' Skywalker Ranch. Their mission is to see Star Wars Episode I early when they discover one of the young men in their group is diagnosed with terminal cancer and will not live long enough to see the film in theaters the following May. This film expresses what it means to care about something so truly that you would do anything for it… what it means to be a fan. This is a film for the fans, made by the fans. "

You can check out the trailer here... it's hilarious (just a note they do make fun of Star Trek fan's)
http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=637&Itemid=99

[attachment deleted by admin]

jedijeff

They had a 4 part interview with the director on the force Cast podcast. Does sound like a really interesting movie, will go see it if it shows up in the theatres here in Canada, if not then will probably get the DVD.

Trekkygeek

Now that looks funny, and I bet its quite touching too. Like the dig at Trekkies, an homage to the them and us scenario.  :laugh:
You could learn something from Mr Spock Doctor..... Stop thinking with your glands"

Darth Gaos

Saw the trailer and I must say that I really want to see this movie....is this coming to theaters?  Is it direct to DVD?  ANyone
I think it was Socrates who spoke the immortal words:  I drank WHAT?

Geekyfanboy

Yes, there isn't much info on it but I heard rumors that it is suppose to be out early next year. :starwars:

Rico

Sounds like a lot of fun!    :dstar

Jen

I heard an interview with the director of that film on The Force Cast.  Sounds like a touching film.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Geekyfanboy

Lucas Gives Fanboys F/X Help

Chris Marquette, who co-stars in the upcoming Star Wars-themed comedy Fanboys, told SCI FI Wire that the movie has been delayed to add a cameo with Kevin Smith and sound effects from the Star Wars films, which were authorized by George Lucas himself after he saw an early cut and approved. The homage to Star Wars fans now has an Aug. 17 release date.

"They showed it to so many people involved in Star Wars that we've gone back several times with additional scenes," Marquette said in an interview while promoting his latest film, The Invisible. "Like, Kevin Smith had seen it, and [he] came in and was like, 'Oh, man. I love it.' So they let him write and direct one of his own scenes in it. So they added that in." Smith is a well-known fan of Star Wars, having included allusions to the franchise in his films for years.

As for Star Wars creator Lucas, Marquette said that the post-production process was extended to incorporate new sound and special effects with the blessing of Lucas himself. (Principal photography was completed last year.) "George Lucas saw it and loved it and gave us all the sound effects for the original Star Wars movie," Marquette said. "So they went back in and put in all these sound effects and everything and some cool special effects. It's like everybody's that seen it that's sort of loved it has attached themselves in a way to make the movie better."

In Fanboys, Marquette plays one of four guys who drive cross-country to Lucas' Skywalker Ranch to fulfill a friend's dying wish to see an advance screening of Star Wars: Episode Iâ€"The Phantom Menace. "It's cool," Marquette said. "It's like a wacky comedy that's got a really nice undertone of, like, friendship. It's like a road-trip movie. It's really nice, though. It was me, and they hired three other guys who are just insanely talented and really funny. So they just let us [have] sort of like a free-for-all improv, in a way."

Geekyfanboy

This just in from director Kyle Newman.

"Fanboys has been delayed. As a Star Wars fan, I am devastated. Fanboys is the love letter to the greatest movie franchise of all time. And this year marks the 30th Anniversary. I wanted the film to be my gift back to Star Wars and to the fan community. But ultimately the shift in release will be a good thing for the movie. We made Fanboys for under five million dollars. And the studio has given us the go-ahead to do the things to it that we couldnt do with our initial limited schedule and budget. There are one or two hilarious things that I wanted to shoot and they are giving me the funds to do it. Which is great!!! As a filmmaker, it's not often someone says -- here's more money - what else do you want to do? But that's the situation we are in. Unfortunately, I dont get the actors back together for four months! (The one drawback to having such a hot young cast at the top of their game.) But rest assured fans won't escape Fanboys this year. We kick it off with our presence at Celebration IV in a big way (sneak-peaking scenes, releasing our prequel comic book and teaser poster)... then we will heat things up at the San Diego Comic-Con in July. And from there we just keep building toward January. I am so excited to unleash this movie. It's going to be huge!"

Believe me Kyle, we're excited too! Let's all hope this is the final delay so we can finally see this film!

Locutus

Wow, I had forgotten all about this flick. This sounds cool, and I can't wait to see stuff on it at ComiCon.
Admiral Piett: Impossible! Are calcs proves us otherwise.
" Blalock's 'Shadow Puppets' To Get California Release" <-- Best headline ever on this site.

Geekyfanboy

Writer Allays Fanboys Rumors

Ernest Cline, co-writer of the much-delayed Star Wars-themed Fanboys, told fans on his official blog not to believe rumors about the movie's status and that the movie may appear in theaters as early as March.

"The production of Fanboys has also run into its share of hiccups," Cline wrote. "There have been several rounds of reshoots and delays. And this week, rumors have begun to fly across the Interweb about the possibility of changes being made to the movie in post-production. And the fans who have been anxiously waiting to see it for so long are understandably concerned."

The rumors include one that producers are considering watering down the movie's main storyline, in which a group of friends in the early 1990s travel with a friend who has been diagnosed with cancer to try to break into George Lucas' Skywalker Ranch and steal a print of Star Wars: Episode I. The rumors say that preview screenings may lead the producers to eliminate the cancer storyline.

"Some of these rumors are true, some are false, and others are just plain loco," Cline said in reaction. "Nothing is set in stone at this point, so I can't weigh in on the subject just yet. What I can tell you is that everyone who has worked on Fanboys is extremely proud of it, and we can't wait for it to arrive in theaters. When it does, I know that our target audience is going to love it."

The movie was delayed several times before settling on a Jan. 18 release date. But as that date approached, the Weinstein Co. pulled the movie from its schedule.

"Now we're hearing that the current plan is to release Fanboys this coming March," Cline wrote. "But that could change again. To quote Master Yoda, 'Always in motion is the future.' I promise to keep you posted."

Rico

There must be something seriously wrong with this movie.  It's been worked on for literally years now.  I'm starting to wonder if we will ever see it.  Direct to DVD or internet download is my advice.  Save those theater and film costs.

Geekyfanboy

Yeah it could have been out a year ago and it would have been great. I've seen about 1/3 of the movie and it was fantastic. Then the big company gets wind of it and say.. hmmm we can make some money with this little film so they managed to take over and throw more money at it.. which I'm sure at the time the producers were happy because more money meant better effects. But I bet they are regretting there decision now. I think will see it.. some day in some form.

I hope they don't change the story.. that's the heart of the movie.

jedijeff

Usually movies that get constantly rescheduled and taken back for rework, usually end up suffering in the end. If the studios tinker to much with the main premise of the movie, could get a real uneven movie in the end. Hopefully this movie will be able to come out, but I suspect any more delys, and it will be a direct to DVD movie some day.

Darth Gaos

Well let's hope the re-write rumors are just that.  I was listening to last weeks ForceCast and I have to agree with those guys....if you rewrite the storyline to exclude the cancer then you take the "heart" outta the movie and make it just another movie about looney Star Wars fans.
I think it was Socrates who spoke the immortal words:  I drank WHAT?