• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Cord cutting

Started by billybob476, April 25, 2013, 06:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bromptonboy

Quote from: moyer777 on January 13, 2015, 02:27:13 PM
I have dish and it does the same, I can watch any of my programs off the hopper on my phone or ipad, or computer, from anywhere with wi-fi- PRETTY COOL!  I'm currently on season 3 of Breaking Bad. 
Such a great show, but gets very stressful.
Pete

ricdude

Well, our primary streaming device (a wii) finally died. We've now upgraded to the Roku 3.

Extremely well-designed interface. Easy to set up. Cross-provider search is quite useful - no more searching Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu separately. Also a few unexpected cool channels also available PBS, National Geographic Kids. Still checking for other cool channels

Anyone else ever play with one?

Bromptonboy

We have a Roku 2 on a tv the kids use - we have been quite happy with it. 
Pete

Bromptonboy

We had a Sony Google TV that I really liked - it had a nice remote with a touchpad and when you flipped it over, it had a nice backlit QWERTY keyboard.  That died on us after about 3 years of use. 
Now I have an Amazon Fire Stick - which so far is pretty nice.  We use it just for Amazon Prime and Netflix.
Pete

Bromptonboy

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/9/8175619/hbo-now-announced

HBO's long awaited standalone subscription service is coming next month, and Apple TV has been announced as the company's "exclusive" launch device. Viewers will be able to watch HBO Now from web browsers, but Apple TV is the only streaming box getting it to start. An app for iPhone and iPad will be released, as well. "All you need to get HBO Now is a broadband connection and an Apple device," said HBO CEO Richard Plepler. Priced at $14.99 per month, HBO Now will offer access to HBO's entirely library of original shows and also its large catalog of feature films.

Customers will get a free month if they sign up from an Apple device during April, Plepler said, a move that should guarantee some pretty quick growth. This is a service that people have waited years for, remember. HBO's choice to partner initially with Apple alone is an interesting one; rather than attack every streaming device on the market, it's giving Apple's device a high-profile push. You can subscribe to HBO Now directly from an iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV. The exclusivity period will last three months, according to CNN's Brian Stelter.
As its own part of the big announcement, Apple revealed that it's cutting the price of Apple TV to $69. Rather than introduce an updated model of the set-top box, Apple is lowering the cost to better compete against Roku, Amazon, and others.
Pete

Ktrek

Too much money in my opinion. Outside of their original programming the repetitiveness of their programming and lack of any content of interest to me is nauseating.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Bromptonboy

For me it would be worth just for Game of Thrones.  I would drop it between seasons unless something else comes up.  Curb Your Enthusiasm would keep me watching between GoT seasons - but CYE has been on hiatus.
Pete

Rico

That really isn't a bad price considering what it costs if you add HBO to your cable package which is at least $10 a month. It of course comes down to the content and if it's worth it to you. Being only on Apple TV to start is a bit of a hitch. Wonder how long that exclusive deal will stay?

Bromptonboy

I thought I read someplace it was 3 months?  Might be mistaken.
Pete

Bromptonboy

It can't be long until a internet only package for the other premium content providers follows - although cable will fight that kind of offering I would imagine.
Pete

WillEagle

Well my cable is still basic 22 channels with 23 (History) 24 (AMC but bad reception) and 70 (Tru TV). And I have Netflix, Hulu Plus and now CBS ALL Access which is only $5.99. It used to be the only thing I would watch live besides sports is The Big Bang Theory and now that I close at work on Thursday now we watch it on CBS All Access over the weekend. Right now All Access is only available through your pc and portable devices like ipad and android devices. We just plug in a laptop with a HDMI cable and watch it on the big screen. So now I don't watch any show on its air date. Even with Arrow and Flash which I love we always watched them on Hulu because its in HD. My basic cable is not. If I didn't like baseball and football I wouldn't have cable.

Bromptonboy

Have you put up a digital antenna?  I have one now - and found 57 channels in my area.

Although I have to say, the reception got choppy during a recent snow storm.  :(
Pete

WillEagle

I did try one but I'm kinda down in a small valley so to speak and It gave 1 regular channel of ABC and about 6 different Christian Channels. We have a Christian station closer to us than anything so that's why we probably picked those up so easy. But I was hoping for a little more variety.

Ktrek

I still say that the first cable or satellite company that will offer a 15 channel "my choice" package for $20 a month and I'll sign up. But as long as they are going to force all the other crap on me I don't want nor would ever watch I'll remain as I am. I have such a large video library now that between it and Netflix I never lack for anything to watch. I also don't have to suffer through all those lame commercials day in and day out. I don't miss television one bit. I sleep better too.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine