• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Not A Good Week For Space Programs

Started by Bromptonboy, October 31, 2014, 12:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davekill

Here's to the brave test pilot...

"Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air. . . .
Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or ever eagle flew —
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God."

Rico

Bromptonboy

Pete

Ktrek

Unfortunately I think our government is pouring too much of our tax money into the welfare system to have anything left to finance NASA the way its should be. We might just have to leave it to the Russians or Chinese.
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

X

Quote from: Ktrek on October 31, 2014, 03:00:46 PM
Unfortunately I think our government is pouring too much of our tax money into the welfare system to have anything left to finance NASA the way its should be. We might just have to leave it to the Russians or Chinese.
You do realize that welfare is a less than half of the expense of the defense budget right. We spend 640 billion yearly on defense. Which is almost funny when you compare it to the rest of the world. We are the #1 country, with china in a distant second with a whopping 188 billion. Hell, you could add up the rest of the top 10 countries and they are spending a little more than a half billion more than us. That welfare figure also includes several government programs that many people take advantage of but don't think of as welfare.

I also think it's unfortunate that you seem to be implying that the hungry should starve so that we can send people into space. That's a really interesting way to look at it. Of all the bloated spending, corporate tax cuts, unwanted tanks, and other things that could fund NASA, you think that too much money is going into welfare.

Here's a hint. We will, as a people, never have a great future if we can't be a better people. If this is the way of humanity, I'm kind of glad that we're grounded and keeping our poison confined to this world.

Ktrek

No I'm not implying that the legitimately poor should starve but I am tired of the leeches I see ever day capable of working but it profits them more to stay home on their butts and have more children to get more welfare or on illegals who pay nothing into the Federal tax system yet get free medicine, clothing shelter, cellphone etc. etc. etc. I just think the welfare system needs stricter rules for qualifying and the first should be you prove citizenship.

As for the defense of our country in reading the world news it looks more and more every day like we might be glad we do spend that much. I wish we could live in a world free of threats but that's a Star Trek utopian dream and not likely to ever be a reality.

"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine