• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Quick trip to Tahoe

Started by davekill, September 12, 2014, 11:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davekill

So hot in California.. another 100° day.
I made a quick trip to Lake Tahoe to escape the heat and grabbed a few photos.

On the way to South Shore is Squaw Valley. home of the 1960 Winter Olympics.

After three years of drought the lake level is low. Some docks barely reach the water... and weird rock formations appear on the exposed land :)

You can see the surrounding Mountains and the air is so fresh a clean!

Interstate 80 is great for going over the summit, I made a short video on the way back.
http://youtu.be/h0j9yNcSHjY

Rico

Nice pictures!  47F. here right now in Michigan outside my house.

Bromptonboy

Great pics, and lovely countryside.  It is ~low 60's F (~15.5C) in the Philly area today.
Pete

davekill

Thanks.
the lakes big - #6, right after the 5 great lakes in your neck of the woods :)
6,225 ft in the mountains, half in California, half in Nevada.

I like the way the mood of the lake changes, some evenings the water is smooth as glass as fog rises in the twilight.
Other times mountain storms bring the lake to life with rolling waves crashing the shore.

The locals may joke about 'Tessie' the lake's sea serpent, but the cold water is home to some big Mackinaw trout - 29 lbs!
http://www.laketahoenews.net/2014/04/massive-mackinaw-caught-lake-tahoe/

Ktrek

I love the photo with the rocks! I hope you Californians get some relief from your drought soon. I read an article today that said scientists worry that California could be headed back to a long cycle drought. The longest lasting almost 200 years from what they can tell.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Bromptonboy

They'll have to get serious about some desalination plants for crops etc.
Pete

davekill

Quote from: Ktrek on September 13, 2014, 04:04:15 PM
I love the photo with the rocks! I hope you Californians get some relief from your drought soon. I read an article today that said scientists worry that California could be headed back to a long cycle drought. The longest lasting almost 200 years from what they can tell.

Kevin

More rocks..

The drought has gotten worse since we haven't had a deep snowpack in the mountains for 3 years.
Besides the ski resorts...it's 'money-in-the-bank' that feeds the rivers, lakes and aquifer since it doesn't rain much here anyway.
And that is a worry since most of your produce is grown here.