• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Ender's Game

Started by Praxis, May 07, 2013, 04:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billybob476

I plan on seeing this. I really enjoyed the first book in the series. I tired reading the second and found it incredibly dull. As for Card's outspoken views, I most certainly disagree with them but I do believe in separating the art from the artist.

ChrisMC

Very well done movie, wonderful effects, and it sure doesn't pull any punches. The battles, in the arena and at the end of the movie were well executed, very different from what I pictured in the book but so cool. [spoiler] I do miss the Demosthenes and Locke portions, but I get why they were cut, and really if anyone becomes interested in this series there's a bunch of books that cover Peter and Bean. The end was a bit of a departure, in the novel he finds the queen during his travels with Valentine much later in his life, but I get why they condensed it. [/spoiler]

Good movie, I'd like to see if someone is brave enough to try and adapt Speaker for the Dead! Unlikely....
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

WillEagle

OK, I just got home from this movie but the theater had a power outage for a few minutes before the movie started. It took them about 40 minutes to start it back up and they played the movie right where it would have been if the movie has started on time. Somebody went out and said something but they only went back to the part where Ender and the group of kids were blasting off from Earth. Can anybody give me a rundown on the movie till that point. I liked what I saw of it but didn't get the beginning of the story. I would rate the movie a 6 out of 10. Maybe higher if I had seen the beginning.

ChrisMC

[spoiler]Ender is in a precursor to Battle School, Graff and Anderson are watching him and his reactions with an implant in his neck. Ender beats a kid at a video game, Graff has his implant removed and Ender thinks he is washing out. Ender gets in a fight with the kid who he beat in the game and beats him pretty badly, to ward off future attacks. Graff decides then to pick Ender for Battle School, goes to his house, and tells him. [/spoiler]

It's about 10 minutes or so.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

WillEagle

Thank you for doing that, Chris.

Feathers

Saw this, this week with my son (his first 'adult film'). I haven't read the book yet but the film came over pretty well. I think we both enjoyed the spaceship scenes most of all and I found some of the training and tactics particularly interesting.

Time for me to read the book now.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Bromptonboy

Still haven't bee to see this.  :(
Pete

Bromptonboy

Saw this on HBO today.   It was pretty good - but I am glad I didn't shell out the $'s to take the family to the theater.  HOme viewing was fine.
Pete

Rico

I thought they did a very good job adapting the book into a movie. The kid playing Wiggin did great too.

Bromptonboy

Quote from: Rico on September 05, 2014, 03:41:28 AM
I thought they did a very good job adapting the book into a movie. The kid playing Wiggin did great too.
Yes, and they couldn't 'age' him like in the book, so this was a good adaptation.  I read the book years ago, and did the audiobook with the family on a recent long drive.  Kids loved it.
Pete