• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

RETURN TO TOMORROW: THE FILMING OF STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE

Started by Ktrek, July 18, 2014, 10:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ktrek

I think you guys will be interested in this title for sure! Doesn't come out until October but I placed my pre-order in now because it's limited to a 1000 copy run and that's it. Over 600 pages!!!!! It is exclusive through Creature Features website only and only via Paypal. No Amazon or any other book outlet will be selling this book. Here is the link:

http://creaturefeatures.com/shop/books/returntotomorrow/

QuoteProduct Description:

Creature Features Publishing presents a legendary, long-lost Making-Of movie book: RETURN TO TOMORROW: The Filming of Star Trek: The Motion Picture by Preston Neal Jones.

RETURN TO TOMORROW is a stunningly detailed and candid oral history, going behind the scenes of one of the most famous films not only in Star Trek history, but all of science fiction and cinema.

In 1979, Preston Neal Jones was given unparalleled access to the cast and creators of Star Trek: The Motion Picture for what was intended to be a cover story for Cinefantastique magazine. Owing to the late completion of the film and ambitious scope of the manuscript, it was never published—until now.

This book is a priceless time capsule, a 672-page oral history in the words of sixty of the film's cast and creators, interviewed as the film was being prepared for release—and nobody had any idea if it would succeed or even be finished on time.

From the stars (William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy and the entire cast) to the filmmakers (Gene Roddenberry, Robert Wise) to the brilliant visual effects artists, illustrators, model builders and technicians who realized the 23rd century on screen (costumes, sets, props, models, music, sound FX and more), no aspect of the film's creation is overlooked.

The entire manuscript has been laboriously fact-checked and prepared for modern publication, while retaining all of the candid comments from 35 years ago. The gorgeous cover art is the original painting by Roger Stine intended for Cinefantastique, courtesy the Daren R. Dochterman Collection.

Go behind the scenes of this pivotal sci-fi masterwork and hear the unvarnished, uncensored truth of how it was created.

Strictly limited to 1,000 copies, this mammoth trade paperback is available for pre-order now and will ship in October.

The first 100 copies will come personally autographed by the author, so order your copy today!

This book is exclusively sold through Creature Features, and is not available on Amazon or any other online vendor.

About the Author

Preston Neal Jones' first excursion into cinematic oral history, "James Whale Remembered," appeared in Forrest J Ackerman's original Famous Monsters of Filmland. His first book, Heaven and Hell to Play With: The Filming of The Night of the Hunter, was hailed as one of the finest works of its kind and earned the Rondo Award for Book of the Year from the Classic Horror Film Board. Jones' writings have appeared in periodicals as disparate as Cinefantastique and American Art Review. Active in the film/TV industry, he has served as creative advertising executive, script analyst and production assistant; introduced film screenings at American Cinematheque and the Los Angeles Film School; and contributed entries to Groves' New Dictionary of Music and Musicians and The St. James Encyclopedia of Popular Culture. Jones' liner notes have graced modern-day recordings of music from such Golden Age film composers as Alfred Newman, Hans J. Salter and Frank Skinner. At UCLA, Jones has lectured on the subject of film music, and at Roanoke College in Virginia (where he was writer in residence) he taught on the topics of The Night of the Hunter and Star Trek: The Motion Picture.
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

davekill

This looks good.
I can recommend Walter Koenig's book.
Chekov's Enterprise: A Personal Journal of the Making of Star Trek, the Motion Picture.

It would be a good read while waiting for October.

Bromptonboy

Pete

Rico

Notice yesterday's Trek Daily Pic too. I wonder why so limited a book run?

Ktrek

Well, after making the long boat from China this book finally arrived and is actually more than I expected. Really high quality paper and 672 pages of interesting Trek history. I qualified as one of the first 100 buyers and got a personally signed copy by Preston Neal Jones himself. I'm going to enjoy reading through this and keeping it as a fine Trek reference book. It'd be great Rico if you could get Preston as a guest on the show.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Rico

My book is on the way too (must be a slightly slower boat to get to Michigan). Looking forward to checking it out. I'll see what I can do about getting the author on the podcast.

Ktrek

I just saw where this book is now going to a reprint because of "high demand". Kind of have a mixed reaction about this. On the one hand I'm glad for the author that the book has been well received, but on the other hand I'm a little bothered that the "limited to a 1000 copies" is no longer true. The limited run implied that the book would be a valued collectible but now not so much. Anyway.....

I was a little worried that this book might not read well because of the layout but I have found if I read it like a conversation going on it is extremely interesting. I like how the author only interjects when clarification is needed but outside of that he lets those involved in the project speak for themselves. One of the better non-fiction purchases I have made.

Kevin