• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

DVDs and 78s

Started by davekill, June 06, 2014, 01:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davekill

Collectibles featured on the podcasts are always cool and occasionally I'll buy an action figure or book or two.

I remembered my grandpa's old 78 rpm record collection while going through my DVDs.
Considering the ease of streaming video, are DVDs still relevant?
There's still something comforting about having a physical set at hand - maybe it's the cover art, booklets, and extra content.

My videos don't take up much more space than his trunk of dusty platters.. it's my books, magazines and collectibles that do. :)

So anyone still collecting DVDs? What do you have?

My small set of Starship Troopers - now if I could just find a warrior bug or Mobile Infantry cap.

X

I've gone mostly digital these days, but I will buy collectors sets on occasion. I have Aliens, Star Trek, BladeRunner, Harry Potter, Twilight, and a few other blueray boxed sets

davekill

Quote from: X on June 06, 2014, 01:51:23 PM
I've gone mostly digital these days, but I will buy collectors sets on occasion. I have Aliens, Star Trek, BladeRunner, Harry Potter, Twilight, and a few other blueray boxed sets
Cool!
I've got Blade Runner too.

I have all of BSG 2.0 digital down load but mostly standard DVDs
I've got a few Star Wars and Trek fan films that may never make it to bluray, like 'Turk Trek' and 'Hick Trek the Mooovie', lol!

Still a couple more Vids on VHS too.

Bromptonboy

I have a few DVD's - but haven't been buying them much lately.  I did buy all the Extended Edition LOTR's DVDs.
Pete

Rico

I like physical "stuff."  I still have quite a few old record albums, 45's, audio cassettes, VHS tapes, and DVD's.  Mainly buying Blu-Ray's these days.  It just looks too good to pass up!  And now we have 4K coming too!

As far as books, I read more digital these days but I still buy physical comics and books too.  Actually, I've been thinking of starting a classic Sci-Fi & fantasy hardcover collection and try to nab some older, 1st editions on eBay. 

So yeah, I'm a collector!

davekill

Quote from: Rico on June 06, 2014, 02:32:32 PM
I like physical "stuff."  I still have quite a few old record albums, 45's, audio cassettes, VHS tapes, and DVD's.  Mainly buying Blu-Ray's these days.  It just looks too good to pass up!  And now we have 4K coming too!

As far as books, I read more digital these days but I still buy physical comics and books too.  Actually, I've been thinking of starting a classic Sci-Fi & fantasy hardcover collection and try to nab some older, 1st editions on eBay. 

So yeah, I'm a collector!
Nice.
Novels and coffee table books are the best.

This short video is Marc Zicree showing off his library used as props in his upcoming project.
http://youtu.be/VeL7m_YtkCA

Bromptonboy

I do tend to collect books - especially my scifi collection.
Pete

jedijeff

I am still tied to Physical media, as I guess I like something in my hand, but with that said, I have really slowed down on Buying DVD's/Blu-Rays. I pretty much just pickup movies I really like a lot, so maybe 4 or 5 a year. Though I will admit, I do find having a digital library very appealing as well, as I like the idea that you can watch something on a device whenever you wish. I am keeping my eye out for a good Sale on TOS or Enterprise on Blu-Ray, as I would like to upgrade what I currently have. Up here in Canada, we never seem to get those great deals you guys get down in the states, and once I see something for a certain price, I get it stuck in my head that I don't really want to pay much more then that.
I used to have a lot of Star Wars and Star Trek books, but I sold a lot of them a few years back, as I just did not have the space for them, and felt I would never read them again. Part of me wishes I did not, so I guess I do like that Idea as well you could have them electronically, and they don't cost you any physical space.

davekill

Shelf space gets to be premium real estate and the best packaging/display I have is the SG-1 10 season box set.
I love the design and texture as seen in this example from amazon.

Rico

Cool video above there showing those classic books (several of those I have).  I have that Stargate box set too and it is a cool package!

WillEagle

I have a pretty big collection of movies. I'm trying not to replace my DVD's with blu-rays but sometimes I can't help myself. Recently replaced King Kong and Incredible Hulk with Blu-ray Steelbooks. Also through a work rewards program I got the Blu-Ray set of the TOS movies!!!! I will keep the DVD's of those though. I do collect Comics (which I have too many according to the wife) and books also but I'm not into getting collectibles. I have just a few of those. I took over our spare room for my collection and would one day like to turn it into a man cave. I like the things in my hands and I love sales around Christmas to add to my collection. I do have the collection organized so if I'm looking for something I can normally find it. Now as far as my car keys...not so much.  ;D