• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Star Wars Celebration IV in Los Angeles

Started by Geekyfanboy, November 08, 2006, 02:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

Okay I just had to share... my brother, who was able to take some vacation time is now sitting in a theater watching Star Wars Episode 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 back to back. This is the first time they have done this in the world and I am so jealous right now... 17 hours of greatness from 9am to 2am. He called me a few minutes before it started and so excited. I wish I was able to get the time off to go.. oh well.

jedijeff

Your Brother is very lucky. You are lucky as well that you get to attend. I so badly wanted to go, but could not afford both Myself and my wife. Looking forward to hearing about your experiences there.

Geekyfanboy

Star Wars Con Opens In L.A.

Star Wars Celebration IV, a Lucasfilm-sponsored convention, opened a five-day run May 23 at the Los Angeles Convention Center, with exhibits and programming to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the first movie, including a sneak peek at the proposed animated Star Wars TV show.

Steve Sansweet, Lucasfilm's director of fan relations, promised that Celebration IV would be the largest Star Wars convention ever; The Hollywood Reporter estimated that as many as 20,000 fans would attend.

The convention will feature 17 hours of programming, including appearances by franchise actors Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia) and Anthony Daniels (C-3PO), special opening ceremonies on May 25, a laser tag tournament, an art exhibit of painted and sculpted Darth Vader helmets, an exhibition of props and set pieces from the Lucasfilm archives and panels on Star Wars-themed episodes of Family Guy and Robot Chicken.

The convention will also offer a preview of Fanboys, an upcoming feature film dealing with the efforts of a group of Star Wars fans who try to sneak into Skywalker Ranch. And Celebration IV will boast an enormous store of Star Wars-themed items, some exclusive to the convention, which will remain open 24 hours a day for the duration.

Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa is expected to proclaim May 25 "Star Wars Day in Los Angeles" with an official proclamation. And the United States Postal Service will issue the first of its Star Wars-themed stamps on that day as well. The convention runs through May 28, Memorial Day.

Geekyfanboy

Jason and Pete from "The Force" Cast are posting video from the Con.. check it out

First video is 66 artists put their own unique spin on the Galaxy's most notorious villain at Star Wars: Celebration IV's Vader Project.

[youtube=425,350]wt3zCaB2Ekw[/youtube]

Second video is The Force-Cast's Jason and Pete are your personal tour guides through Lucasfilm's Archive exhibit at Star Wars: Celebration IV. Many of these items have never been seen by the public.

[youtube=425,350]BkCSO-2EQjU[/youtube]

This stuff is awesome guys.. I can't wait to go see this stuff in person tomorrow.

Dan M

Thanks for posting these.  This looks awesome.

I'm very jealous, Kenny. 

jedijeff

Thanks for the Post, I to am Jealous. I went to the last one, and so badly wanted to go to this one, but unable to. Will be living a bit vicariously through you Kenny, and your experiences

Geekyfanboy

The Force Cast just posted more video..

First one is a guy who won a Contest to have an action figure made of himself... the process is really cool.

[youtube=425,350]ndOEnFYNO6o[/youtube]

Fans lined up around the convention center waiting for the doors to open the first day. Anthony Daniels greeting fans in line

[youtube=425,350]LupL90cNBcU[/youtube]

jedijeff

I was watching some of the other Videos as well. I chuckled at the one of the fans coming in after the doors were open on the first day. You could see everyone running for the exclusives, and all the event staff telling people not to run. Unless they increases editions sizes on convention exclusives, they will never stop people from running, as to get some of the exclusives, you have to run, as they are gone within minutes after the doors open. If they could distibute them better as well, it would make everyones experience a whole bunch better.

Dan M

That GG scanning tech is awesome.  Thanks again for posting those, Kenny.

Rico

No matter what the exclusives are, I wouldn't be waiting in that line.  Plus, many of the exclusives could be pre-purchased online and just picked up at the con.  So it wasn't that big a deal - at least from my viewpoint.

jedijeff

I think with some of the Gentle Giant exclusives, that there was no preorder option. I think with the Boba Fett Macquette, it has a real low edition size, and they only sell a certain amout each day. On another forum I read where they were sold out of the daily allotment 3 minutes after the door opens. I believe that sideshow allows preorder, and I think that is the right thing to do, as then people who are looking for the exclusives, are not stressed about it. That line looked very long, and I certainly would not like to stand in it.

Rico

Yes - not all is up for preorder.  Still wouldn't stand in that line.

Geekyfanboy

Hey Guys.. just got back from C4. It was alot of fun and my super tired so I'm not going to go into details... but I did take 238 pictures... here are a few.

Geekyfanboy

Here are a few more!!!

moyer777

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com