• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Doctor Who. The Peter Capaldi Series.

Started by Meds, January 07, 2014, 06:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feathers

Well, an interesting topic to jump back into.

I found the first episode a bit of a struggle story-wise and while I love Capaldi's doctor I think the character change has swung a bit too far for me to be comfortable with straight off the bat. This was maintained through the next few and I think only now will it start to settle down a bit.

I've seen some suggestions that some of the earlier scripts were written for Smith so maybe it's a case of making a 'best-fit' attempt to get the story out (which could also work as a doctor-to-doctor transition element.

I agree Clara is becoming more of a character in her own right but in her shoes I'd have given the Doctor the heave-ho for real by now, to the extent that I found the change at the end of the last epsiode a little hard to believe. As a viewer, I'd far rarther keep her in the series but I don't see that she actually has much reason to stay.

I think I'm basically in a quandary. Capaldi is probably the best Doctor in years but I just wish he'd setlle down and lighten up a bit. The stories haven't all been brilliant but I'm frustrated more by my views of the  character issues than anything else.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Bromptonboy

Funny thing - my wife was watching a bit of 'Dangerous Liasons' last night - and I saw himself - Capaldi - as John Malkovich's servant.
Pete

Meds

Latest episode 'Flatline' was brilliant. Really enjoyed this one.

Feathers

I thought it worked well and hope the relationship between the two main characters is beginning to settle down.

I thought it was a fun switch around this week with a surprising opponent. The end was a little melodramatic for my taste and perhaps more than was required but, overall, I enjoyed it and am still relatively happy with the way the series is running.

Next week looks fun too.

Rico

I liked the recent episode quite a bit.  It gave Clara a chance to really shine and was an interesting idea and concept.  Definitely one of the highlights of the season for me.

Meds

And Rico, i saw yesterday that you can get the Tardis in seige mode prop.

http://www.rubbertoereplicas.com/#!tardis-seige-mode/c70e

Rico

They have some nice stuff on that site.  :)

Bromptonboy

Pete

Meds

So we know who Missy is... I can live with that.

ChrisMC

Oh, the implications for future regenerations...also, I dug her performance. Very much like an old-school version of the character.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Rico

Meds

Yeah Peter is brilliant like that, he goes that extra mile especially for the kids.

Last episode tonight I thought  was brilliant, will talk more once it airs for you good folks.

Feathers

I think it worked out OK but there are a couple of small aspects I'm now quite happy with. Having said that, I've literally just watched it so some processing time is needed before I reach a full conclusion.

[spoiler]I thought the end was bonkers though.[/spoiler]

Meds

[spoiler]the salute was magical to the point of tears though[/spoiler]

Feathers

Indeed. It was shame they didn't manage that in earlier years when it could have been done "properly" though.

Overall I think it paid off on a lot of things, I still have some niggles but nothing earth shattering. Depending how they play the next series then I think the end was a pretty sad route to take (for the characters) but it was good to see them use a different direction.

I still say the trailer for Christmas was bizarre though.