• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

WINTER - 2014!

Started by Rico, January 03, 2014, 08:36:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Ok, I'm officially calling this winter one of the nastiest ones ever!  Too much snow already, too darn cold - and it's only January 3rd!  So I'm starting a thread to post pics, swap stories and get through this crazy weather and season!

First story and pic...

After shoveling for the last two days to dig out of our latest snow storm I had to run to pick up Lynn this morning from the airport on her trip back from the Rose Bowl.  This is what my car told me the temp was outside as I headed to the airport.  -14F.!!  (-25.6 C.)!!  Nuts!!  Kaylee doesn't even like it outside right now.  Icy roads and at least a dozen cars off the road I saw on my drive.  But back home safe now.  Can't we just all hibernate?!  :)

billybob476

Same here. -21 here this morning and apparently -35 C with wind chill. I saw at least 4 cars off the road on the way to work plus another impacted on the highway median. Apparently there was a 10 car pileup on the Gardiner Expressway into downtown Toronto as well.

As I said on FB, I love winter, but this is a bit cold!

Bromptonboy

12F here - nothing compared to you guys.
Pete

Rico

We are getting more snow Sunday and even COLDER weather early next week.  :(

MARKO

It got down to 58 last night  brrrrrrrrrrr  :)

Marko
"Amat Victoria Curam"

davekill

Quote from: MARKO on January 03, 2014, 10:27:53 AM
It got down to 58 last night  brrrrrrrrrrr  :)

Marko

Like a weather seesaw, California days are dry and mild too.
Of course there are only two seasons out here, 'Mud and Dust' :)

Any more dashboard temp. pics?

jedijeff

The weather in Western Canada as been up and Down. Yesterday it was mild and had rain, and today it has been getting colder with temps like Rico is having this weekend. Drive home I saw some Trucks in the ditch, so things getting a bit slippery, but those are mostly pickup truck drivers who drive to aggressively for the conditions.

By Tuesday next week we will be back to more milder temperatures, so it feels like there are a few systems battling for space, and each dumping lots of moisture along the way. Really have not cared for this winter at all.

ricdude

Surprisingly mild for Colorado so far this year. I've learned to trust the squirrels in the yard as a general forecasting tool. If they're scampering around like crazy in September, be prepared for a lot of snow and cold temperatures. This year, they were definitely slacking - one really cold week, and a couple of snowstorms so far. Right on track with the critters activity.

That said, I think we'd die if not for our electric heated mattress pad.  Our bedroom is the coldest room in the house, and the baseboard heater just doesn't cut it. Heated mattress pad underneath and a nice down comforter on top is definitely the way to go.

Stay warm, folks!

sheldor

its winter - its cold.  Pretty normal for January in Michigan.  I remember worse winters growing up in Farmington.

Rico

Quote from: sheldor on January 04, 2014, 07:31:28 AM
its winter - its cold.  Pretty normal for January in Michigan.  I remember worse winters growing up in Farmington.

LOL!  Let's see if you say that on Monday and Tuesday of this coming week when it's -20F. with about -40F. or lower with the wind.

Rico

You might want to check this link too.  We don't go below zero a lot.  And seldom as low as we are getting now. 

http://weather-warehouse.com/WeatherHistory/PastWeatherData_DetroitMetropolitanArpt_Detroit_MI_January.html

sheldor

I've only seen 4/-2 for Monday.  about the same for Tuesday.

MARKO

It's only going to be 65 tomorrow...  54 today feel bad for all you guys freezing, but thats why i moved from NJ figured i spent half my life freezing and blowing snow. Don't miss it.
"Amat Victoria Curam"

Ktrek

It's currently 56 degrees, but a cold front will be here tomorrow, and the low Sunday night is supposed to be near 12 degrees. Not uncommon for North Texas to see temps in the teens in the winter months but it usually lasts only a few days and a week tops. Since moving here I have only seen the temps drop to the single digits once.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Rico

Quote from: sheldor on January 04, 2014, 08:52:13 AM
I've only seen 4/-2 for Monday.  about the same for Tuesday.

I think you are talking the highs, not the low.  Also, out where I live it is typically 5-10F. cooler than in the city.  Not to mention the foot more of snow expected.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/01/03/winter-storm-watch-issued-for-metro-detroit-up-to-a-foot-expected/

Temps below are without the wind chill figured in as well.