• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

"Interstellar" - movie

Started by Vartok, December 15, 2013, 05:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bromptonboy

Quote from: Bryancd on November 10, 2014, 06:45:05 PM

In 2001, Dave and Frank were as cool as cucumbers even facing extreme obstacles. I appreciate that insofar as they are trained professionals. "Open the pod bay door, HAL" line is delivered with such control and calm that I would expect form an astronaut. Interstellar has a lot of histrionics and yelling among the crew even before stuff starts to go tits up. Thats what bugs me about modern films trying to do near future space films grounded in science. It's why I find Armageddon borderline offensive. :)

It's a good film, but Gravity was better. Ending set up well for a sequel.

I haven't seen this yet, but I appreciate what you are saying.  This is what ticks me off - when earth sends street thugs to make first contact with alien civilizations. 
Pete

Rico

What???? That isn't the movie at all.

Bryancd

No, these characters aren't thugs in space, although one or two do loise their s*#t. Pete and I are just making general comparisons of the portrayal of astronauts in the Kubrick film vs. more modern interpretations. A 2001 remake would have Dave ramming the pod into the Discovery yelling "HAL, who's your Daddy!" :)

Bromptonboy

Sorry, I wasn't clear - I was (re) ranting about Prometheus.  :)
Pete

Bryancd

Quote from: Bromptonboy on November 11, 2014, 05:30:11 AM
Sorry, I wasn't clear - I was (re) ranting about Prometheus.  :)

Another good example of that modern trope!

M-5

My daughter and I just got back from seeing it.  That was a great movie!  I can't believe my 12 year old liked it.  It was a deep movie, but she got it.  I'm slowly turning our daughter into a geek.

Rico

Great! Glad to hear you both really enjoyed it too.

Bromptonboy

grrr - haven't made it yet.  Scout trip to Annapolis this weekend, will have to see this next week some time.
Pete

davekill

A nice follow-up to the movie is this interview with Chistopher Nolan and Kip Thorne.

'Into the Wormhole: The Science of 'Interstellar'
http://sciencefriday.com/segment/11/21/2014/into-the-wormhole-the-science-of-interstellar.html

Bromptonboy

Going to this tonight (IMAX).  Finally!
Pete

Bromptonboy

Well, that was a good deal to process!  Just got back from it.  I have to digest this for a bit before commenting.
Pete

davekill

Saw it again today after watching the Carl Sagan's Cosmos episode 10 "The Edge of Forever"
Nice.

Bromptonboy

Went to see this again with my family last night.  We saw it at the Tuttleman IMAX theater in the Franklin Institute.  I enjoyed it, and surprisingly my wife really loved the movie.
Pete

Rico

I'm happy to see this movie is still playing out there.  Been out since the first week of November.  Glad to see there is still room for a more thoughtful Sci-Fi film at the cinema.

Bromptonboy

Lots of big names in this one as well.
Pete