• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

New guy here.

Started by writerinthewild, July 20, 2013, 10:24:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

writerinthewild

Hi everyone. Well, I'm totally new to the forum after having discovered the podcast just last week. I'm a big sci-fi fan. In fact my girlfriend thinks I'm a total geek, which I guess I am because I have Star Wars, Star Trek, Doctor Who, and Firefly t-shirts that get regular rotation in my wardrobe.

So, in the beginning I was a huge Star Wars fan like most people from my generation, but I sort of lost some interest in Star Wars after the prequels, which I generally hated. I was (and am) a big fan of Alien and Aliens, Bladerunner, and pretty much anything out of the 70's and 80's that was good science fiction, including more obscure stuff like Logan's Run and Enemy Mine.

I am a big fan of sci/fi books. I have read many of the classics and probably consider Dune, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, and Stranger in a Strangle Land as some of my all time favorites. But I have read a lot of Arthur C Clarke, Ben Bova, Robert Hienlein, Philip K Dick, Isaac Asimov, and just a ton others.

My interest in sci/fi tv was sort of renewed because of Netflix, after discovering shows like LOST, Battlestar Gallactica, and Firefly. Growing up I never followed Star Trek or Doctor Who, but as an adult I have watched all the new Doctor Who (even though I quit during the Matt Smith era finding it not as good), and a lot of the old Doctor Who as well.

After discovering all the Star Trek on Netflix I decided to watch all the content in chronological order. I started with Enterprise which I thought was really good, and am currently midway through season two of TOS. I gotta say that its hard to beat the holy trinity of Kirk, Spock, and Bones, but am really looking forward to TNG, which I've heard so much about.

You know, I always tell people that good science fiction makes you think, and that is just partly true. What I love about Star Trek is that it makes you think critically about a number of important concepts that you might not normally think about. A lot of science fiction is that way... But some of it isn't. Star Wars for example is more of an adventure story than intellectual science/fiction, but I don't think that makes it somehow less worthy or not as good. The thing that Star Wars does great, and the other reason I love sci/fi, is the mythology. That's what I love about the sort of epic science fiction that has stood the test of time, like Star Wars, Star Trek, and Doctor Who. They all have very intricate and detailed mythologies that I find very interesting.

Anyways, I've babbled enough. I love the podcast, I love sci/fi, and I'm just excited to be here. Thanks.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. - Han Solo

ChrisMC

Welcome! You should have fun looking through the older episodes of the podcast, lots there for you!
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Rico

Welcome to our happy corner of the internet!

Bryancd

Welcome! Big ALIEN and Blade Runner fan myself, love your avatar pic. I have a great replica of Deckard's gun, love that prop.

Bromptonboy

Pete

moyer777

nice to have a fellow lover of sci fi aboard!  WELCOME!

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Ktrek

Welcome to the site. Sounds like you're on a cool adventure of discovery. Always fun to meet another fan of the genre.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Meds

Praxis

Welcome! Oh that is great, you have so much star trek tv to see for the first time. I am almost envious! :) Nice avatar.