• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

These are the Voyages, TOS, Season One - Hardbound Edition

Started by Ktrek, July 07, 2013, 10:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ktrek

Another thing of interest to TOS fans is a new series of books that documents the creation of the series. Season one comes out in August, Season two in September and Season three in November. Season one's volume is 600 pages. This could prove to be a really valuable and comprehensive resource. Pre-order today and save $4.00.

Quote"Author, Marc Cushman, had the great honor of befriending both Gene Roddenberry and Robert H. Justman. As a result of that friendship, Marc was given exclusive access all the Star TrekĀ® production documents from the three years the series ran, which are currently housed in the UCLA Archives under a bequest by Roddenberry and Justman. These documents are private and not available for general public viewing.

"This work is derived from eight months spent researching the details of the production.These books reveal, for the first time, the truth behind all the politics and behind-the-scene machinations of the productions."

Here is a link where you can also read excerpts from the book:

http://jbmj-book-store.myshopify.com/products/these-are-the-voyages-tos-season-one-hardbound-edition

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Rico

Hmm, interesting.  I wonder why it doesn't seem to also be on Amazon? 

Rico

Bryancd

VERY cool! I might pick that up! Look forward to hearing your review. Who am I kidding, I need that right now!

Rico

Quote from: Bryancd on August 27, 2013, 03:24:40 PM
VERY cool! I might pick that up! Look forward to hearing your review. Who am I kidding, I need that right now!

Yeah, I think you need it right now.  Just flipping through this book makes me want to redo every TOS episode I have podcasted about.  Sigh...

ChrisMC

I want that. I love love inside detail-y production books.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on August 27, 2013, 03:28:57 PM

Yeah, I think you need it right now.  Just flipping through this book makes me want to redo every TOS episode I have podcasted about.  Sigh...

Ordered. :)

Ktrek

I really am enjoying reading this book. The details about each episode are informative, and after being a fan for so many years, and having read so many books and magazines about TOS, I can't believe how many things I never knew. I love these kinds of books.

As an aside there seems to be a division among fans regarding the pictures used in the book. There are a couple of threads at TrekBBS that discuss the ethics of the pics. There are claims that many of the pictures used came from Startrekhistory.com without their permission. If so that was uncool because their pics are restored images and hosted on their site for free and Cushman is using them and making a profit off of others hard work. Whether this is indeed true I do not know for sure. Startrekhistory claims they have property rights to the pictures because they restored them. The publisher's position is that the pictures are in the public domain because Paramount nor Desilu copyrighted all the images. Many originally came from the now defunct Lincoln Enterprises. They claim that they have hidden "tells" in the pictures that prove they are their images but the publisher claims the images were provided by another source. Now I would like to know how in the world they can see hidden "tells' in their pictures when the images in the book have been altered for black and white printing? and much smaller too. They would have to see the original images used in the book to even begin to say with certainty that the images used came from their website. Anyway, it is a huge mess. I hope this doesn't keep the other two volumes from ever being released because I really like this book.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Rico

Hmm, interesting.  Photos online are a tricky thing.  In my view, touching up a picture from a property like this doesn't give you ownership - especially if you post it online.  The right thing to do though would have been to contact the site ahead of time and work out some type of deal.  Original photos are one thing, but I don't think this startrekhistory site has much of a case.

Bromptonboy

Quote from: Rico on August 27, 2013, 03:28:57 PM

Hmm, reboot reviews...I like it!  maybe with co-hosts!?  :)
Pete

Ktrek

And no updates about the other two volumes. I wonder if this means these will never see the light of day?

Rico

Rico

Ktrek

Glad to see this finally moving forward. I've pre-ordered my copy. I'm assuming the March 31st is the release date? They don't really make it clear as to when we can actually start looking out for the books to arrive. I suppose you'll get another review copy of the book eh Rico?

Kevin