• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Cord cutting

Started by billybob476, April 25, 2013, 06:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billybob476

I know this is probably the wrong place to post about watching LESS tv, but Fran and I have noticed that we rarely watch our actual satellite TV service much anymore. Almost all of our time i spent on Netflix or streaming stuff from the main computer via PLEX. Between landline, internet and TV we're paying around 220/month. The bulk of that is the TV service we barely use, on top of that we have a land line that is only called by my mother and telemarketers.

So we're thinking of cutting the cord. Dropping our TV and land line and only paying Bell for a 15 meg up/10 meg down unlimited internet connection.

Our current setup is this:

1. Proxy set up on the router so I can hit US netflix and Hulu (and maybe iTunes but I haven't tired that yet)
2. Roku on the upstairs TV (Netflix, PLEX, etc...)
3. XBox (Netflix, PLEX, etc...) and Blue Ray player on the downstairs TV

I'm thinking of adding:

1. Either a Mac Mini or a Windows or Linux based HTPC to the downstairs TV
2. Maybe another Roku on the downstairs TV.
3. an HD antenna to get some local over the air stuff (http://www.tvfool.com/ says I should be able to get 8-10 channels with an indoor antenna)

and for the phone I'll probably convert our local mobile airtime to "Anywhere" minutes to handle long distance coupled with our current 3.00/month skype LD service.

So, that's the plan. Questions? Comments? Suggestions?

Bryancd

We have friends here that have done the same thing! We would consider it but Jamie watches a ton of shows on TLC or HGTV, she loves those home improvement shows and lot's of bad reality TV!

Praxis

Sounds like a good move to me! We don't have traditional cable or local tv and it works. Between netflix, hulu, and files I put on my little usb drive, we are totally happy. A good side effect (besides saving money) is that all your tv watching becomes a planned and conscious decision.  :thumbsup

Bromptonboy

We have been contemplating doing more or less the same thing. 

The only thing keeping me from doing this, is losing HBO Go.  My wife and I watch mostly stuff from Amazon Prime or Netflix, and watch very little TV (other than Big Bang Theory).

I have a hard Skype number, as well as us both having mobile phones.
Pete

billybob476

Yeah, that was our main thought. The only time we watch actual live TV is when we want some background noise. Also, saving over 100 dollars a month is nice too. Unbundling my internet service will jack it up about 25.00/month (5.00 in bundle savings and 20.00 increase for the unlimited option).

Bromptonboy

Quote from: billybob476 on April 25, 2013, 07:17:37 AM
Yeah, that was our main thought. The only time we watch actual live TV is when we want some background noise. Also, saving over 100 dollars a month is nice too. Unbundling my internet service will jack it up about 25.00/month (5.00 in bundle savings and 20.00 increase for the unlimited option).
$100 a month is nothing to sneeze at - I could boost the college fund deposits...  hmmmm...
Pete

billybob476

Also interested in maybe getting my hands on a Raspberry Pi and see how that works as a media center "PC". I think Dangelus has that up and running.

Bromptonboy

I have been  using Sony's Google TV, and am extremely satisfied.  The mini-keyboard remote is worth it in itself.
Pete

X

I have too much stuff, but I'm happy that I can see shows that I never thought I wanted to see like Backyard Oil.

Currently we have every cable channel except for The Movie Channel package.

Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and XBox music are or non-cable services, but most of those are also used by my brother and his family.

Currently, for all of that and 60/10 internet and land line, I pay about 210 a month after taxes. I can't give up cable because I like the convenience of HBO Go, Max Go, and other bonuses for having the cable. I can run Xfinity off my x-box, so everything really works well for me.

I could do without the landline, but it's actually free or less when added to my bundle.

KingIsaacLinksr

Between Netflix, Hulu (which I barely use due to lack of time), YouTube and gaming, I will never ever need cable/satellite. And yeah, there are series worth watching on YouTube.
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Bromptonboy

Have any of you toyed with Aereo yet?  It is supposed to be coming to my area soon.  That might be the ticket for me.
Pete

Ktrek

I haven't paid a cable or satellite bill in years and I have never lacked for anything to watch. First I have saved money by not buying cable but I do spend a little to have Netflix streaming service. Second I save time and frustration not wasting time trying to find something to watch. There's no remote control madness in our house.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

jedijeff

Maybe I am a minority here, but what do you do regarding sports? Is there other methods to get that if you would want? I trimmed back my cable bill quite a bit as I was paying more then you were Joe, but I don't think I could ever drop it all together.

Bryancd

Quote from: jedijeff on April 25, 2013, 04:42:28 PM
Maybe I am a minority here, but what do you do regarding sports? Is there other methods to get that if you would want? I trimmed back my cable bill quite a bit as I was paying more then you were Joe, but I don't think I could ever drop it all together.

Yeah, no F1?!

ChrisMC

I have cable, but we are canceling it...the bill just went to 250 bucks. Need TV for sports, like Jeff said. But Direct TV has a better deal than Comast right now. I could actually get along with my Rokus and Xbox with Netflix, HuluPlus, and Amazon, but I need my NFL, NBA, and MLB.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/