what are your favorite sci fi classics.

Started by fatfather_2005, April 18, 2013, 12:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fatfather_2005

i am new here. i am nosy to see who likes what in here.
the sci fi classics, you know, foundation, dune, bradberry, herbert, etc.
In the Absense of Light, the Darkness Prevails.

ElfManDan

I'm not really known for reading a lot, but Dune has got to be my favorite Scifi classic. I probably should read more, but that requires time, but that does lead me to ask what good scifi classics are worth reading that I (and other like-minded younglings) should check out?

fatfather_2005

well if you like DUNE, have you tried the whole series? or just the first book.
i think the foundation series is good, most anything by philip k. dick, robert heinlein( i think i got the spelling right)( starship trooppers is one of his).
anything issac asimov wrote( foundation series is one of his)
what got me into the classics was i ran across a copy of the best of sci fi.

Bromptonboy

I love the classics - Asimov, Larry Niven, Jack Williamson, Frederick Pohl, Robert Heinlein, Arthur Clarke just to name a few. 
Pete

ElfManDan

Quote from: fatfather_2005 on April 18, 2013, 05:25:58 PM
well if you like DUNE, have you tried the whole series? or just the first book.
i think the foundation series is good, most anything by philip k. dick, robert heinlein( i think i got the spelling right)( starship trooppers is one of his).
anything issac asimov wrote( foundation series is one of his)
what got me into the classics was i ran across a copy of the best of sci fi.

I've only read the first book, but that was more recent after listening to the Dune podcast episode. I haven't had time to read anymore, but I'm planning on it.

Praxis

I really like Ursula K. LeGuin's The Dispossessed. So thought provoking. My dad turned me onto that one.
Still haven't read Dune *hangs head in shame*
Mixed opinion about Foundation Trilogy. I think Asimov's gift is big-picture conceptual stuff, he's amazing at that. But his dialog and characterization is ...not so pretty IMO. Still good and epic though.

Jobydrone

Harlan Ellison is my favorite scifi author, closely followed by PKD. 
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

ricdude

Dune was an amazing series, at least the first five or si books. If you really want to go back, Jules Verne and HGWells wrote imaginative works for their day. For more modern writers, Piers Anthony's "Blue Adept" series is a pretty amazing sci-fi fantasy crossover series. And David Brin is generally amazing. Oh, and Neal Stephenson is an amazing visionary, too...

Praxis

Quote from: ricdude on April 18, 2013, 11:12:03 PM
Dune was an amazing series, at least the first five or si books. If you really want to go back, Jules Verne and HGWells wrote imaginative works for their day. For more modern writers, Piers Anthony's "Blue Adept" series is a pretty amazing sci-fi fantasy crossover series. And David Brin is generally amazing. Oh, and Neal Stephenson is an amazing visionary, too...

Oh yes, I just recently read my first Stephenson! "Snow Crash". It was awesome!!  :thumbsup

ChrisMC

Dune, Hyperion, Rama, Starship Troopers, Foundation...I could go on. But my favorite novel ever is Dune.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

billybob476

I re-read Starship Troopers at least once a year, what a brilliant book.

fatfather_2005

cool, i am really glad a got such replies to my question. i have posted that same question on several places. i then i see them name stuff nothi ng  before 1980, lol

Ktrek

Most of the sci-fi I read is considered "classic" sci-fi pre 1980. I actually belong to a Yahoo book reading group for classic books although they always have one classic and one newer book each month on the discussion list.

My favorite author would probably be Robert Heinlein although I really like so many. I like Philip K. Dick, A.E. Van Vogt, A.A. Merritt, Poul Anderson, Greg Baer, Isaac Asimov, Robert Sheckley, Murray Leinster, Edmond Hamilton, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Hal Clement, Ray Bradbury, Joe Haldeman, Robert Silverberg, Pier Anthony, Frederik Pohl, Larry Niven etc. etc.

Kevin   
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Feathers

Got to throw in some Harry Harrison here. The Stainless Steel Rat (and many of the follow-ons) were classics in their own sub-genre. (The original story dates from 1957 apparently but the rest are more recent)

I probably haven't read any of them in more than a decade but still have all of those published before the mid-1980s on the shelf. What I need to do now, is get hold of the more recent ones (from the 90s and 10s) that I only realised existed a few months ago.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Bromptonboy

Quote from: Feathers on April 29, 2013, 04:11:44 AM
Got to throw in some Harry Harrison here. The Stainless Steel Rat (and many of the follow-ons) were classics in their own sub-genre. (The original story dates from 1957 apparently but the rest are more recent)

I probably haven't read any of them in more than a decade but still have all of those published before the mid-1980s on the shelf. What I need to do now, is get hold of the more recent ones (from the 90s and 10s) that I only realised existed a few months ago.
LOVE Slippery Jim DiGriz!  SSR is the best.  Did you ever read Harry Harrison's 'Deathworld' trilogy?  Very similar character by the name of Jason DinAlt.  A very fun read.
Pete