iPhone 5S/6?

Started by KingIsaacLinksr, April 04, 2013, 12:07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jobydrone

Actually you can remotely wipe your phone of all data and not have to cancel anything. Better than a lost wallet!  Just implant a chip into my wrist already and be done with it!
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

Is that remote wipe something you can do yourself?

Bryancd

Quote from: Dangelus on September 22, 2013, 11:16:42 PM

It seems that you think you agree with each other but your two statements are in conflict.
I agree it's a convenience thing not hard security which is why it will not be used for anything other than what it does now. No consumer grade fingerprint scanner has avoided being cracked so far. I can't see credit cards ever allowing a system like this. Ironically if somebody got hold of your card I'm sure there would be some lovely prints on it that they could lift and then crack your account!

You would be incorrect in that assumption. The card companies suffer a tremendous amount of loss from card fraud. Cards are stolen, lost, numbers copied, ect., and within moments $1000 of dollars of charges are billed before they are stopped. That loss is covered by the card company for the consumer but it greatly increases the cost to everyone in general for banking services. Biometric is far superior simply because it has a much higher threshold of technical skill to steal, Sure it can be done, but I am less likely to be a victim of this sort of orchestrated theft then simply leaving my card on a counter somewhere accidentally. The barrier to biometrics isn't security, it's adoption. It hasn't caught on as it's been sort of scatter shot they way it's been attempted to be implemented. The iPhone could go a long way to making people feel more comfortable using it and I wouldn't be surprised to see the industry really start to take off. It is a better system then using cash or cards, more efficient, more convenient, and if that drives more purchases, better for the banking companies.

billybob476

Quote from: Rico on September 23, 2013, 04:48:16 AM
Is that remote wipe something you can do yourself?

Yup. You can remotely send a message to the phone, remotely passcode lock it and then finally remotely wipe it. With iOS 7 you can also do an "activation lock" which will requrie an iTunes account password to unlock the phone at all. All that from the "Find my iPhone" app on another iOS device or via the web.

Bryancd

9 million iPhone 5S and 5C's sold over the weekend, a new record. 200Million devices using iOS 7. Wow, glad I got aggressive buying it recently.

billybob476

Yeah, I'm looking to upgrade in the near future but I think I may have to wait at least a month or so at this point.

Bryancd

The New York City police department are recomending people upgrade to iPhones using the touch sensor because they feel it is more secure. Who am I to agrue with the boys and gals in blue from the Big Apple! :)

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/09/23/ios7-nypd_n_3974315.html?utm_hp_ref=uk-tech&ir=UK+Tech

Rico

Can you use both fingerprint and pass code? That would be really secure.

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on September 23, 2013, 09:31:45 AM
Can you use both fingerprint and pass code? That would be really secure.

My phone has both fingerprint and passcode.

Bromptonboy

Pete

Bryancd

I must say I am confused by all the hysteria and hyperbole surrounding this technology. It's never been sold as the ultimate form of security, it's simply convenient. I love unlocking my phone with my finger, it's so simple and fast.

billybob476

Quote from: Bryancd on September 23, 2013, 09:59:16 AM
I must say I am confused by all the hysteria and hyperbole surrounding this technology. It's never been sold as the ultimate form of security, it's simply convenient. I love unlocking my phone with my finger, it's so simple and fast.

This. Honeslt,y the only reason I even have a passcode on my phone is because it's a policy from work (since I have my work email going to my iPhone). A 4-digit code isn't going to stop anyone from breaking in.

Dangelus

Quote from: Bryancd on September 23, 2013, 04:49:40 AM
Quote from: Dangelus on September 22, 2013, 11:16:42 PM

It seems that you think you agree with each other but your two statements are in conflict.
I agree it's a convenience thing not hard security which is why it will not be used for anything other than what it does now. No consumer grade fingerprint scanner has avoided being cracked so far. I can't see credit cards ever allowing a system like this. Ironically if somebody got hold of your card I'm sure there would be some lovely prints on it that they could lift and then crack your account!

You would be incorrect in that assumption. The card companies suffer a tremendous amount of loss from card fraud. Cards are stolen, lost, numbers copied, ect., and within moments $1000 of dollars of charges are billed before they are stopped. That loss is covered by the card company for the consumer but it greatly increases the cost to everyone in general for banking services. Biometric is far superior simply because it has a much higher threshold of technical skill to steal, Sure it can be done, but I am less likely to be a victim of this sort of orchestrated theft then simply leaving my card on a counter somewhere accidentally. The barrier to biometrics isn't security, it's adoption. It hasn't caught on as it's been sort of scatter shot they way it's been attempted to be implemented. The iPhone could go a long way to making people feel more comfortable using it and I wouldn't be surprised to see the industry really start to take off. It is a better system then using cash or cards, more efficient, more convenient, and if that drives more purchases, better for the banking companies.

I guess I'm struggling to see how it is secure. If you lose your phone / card and your finger print can be easily lifted from the device (the glass screen is covered with your prints) with household materials how's is this secure? Isn't it the same as losing your card when you've scribbled your pin number on the back of it?

File it Bryan and we shall see what happens in the future. What is your prediction? I mean how many years before we see a credit card using this sort of biometrics?

Bryancd

Quote from: Dangelus on September 23, 2013, 01:07:50 PM
I guess I'm struggling to see how it is secure. If you lose your phone / card and your finger print can be easily lifted from the device (the glass screen is covered with your prints) with household materials how's is this secure? Isn't it the same as losing your card when you've scribbled your pin number on the back of it?

File it Bryan and we shall see what happens in the future. What is your prediction? I mean how many years before we see a credit card using this sort of biometrics?

I'm struggling to understand how you consider copying a fingerprint easy as it requires the following. One, you must target an individual and acquire their fingerprint. Two, you must do all the steps mentioned to create a facsimile. Three, you must then steal the device for which this fingerprint is being used to secure. Seems to be stealing a credit card number is a far sight easier. A random numeric software code can simply defeat most credit card numbers given some time and don't require you being in proximity to the intended victim. When I make a purchase or cash withdrawal using my debit card, I use a 4 digit pin, just like I can do with my phone, so it's not much of a step to make purchases using a fingerprint vs. a 4 digit pin, it's six of one, half dozen of the other. The NYPD seem to feel it's more secure and they have skin in the crime fighting game.

This is the first mass market consumer device to implement this technology. If consumers respond favorably and become more comfortable with technology then we could easily see that become more prevalent in other devices as a means of security and making purchases. I think in the next 5 years it could become much more widespread, my only issue is the companies that do this are very small and their stocks very volatile and like most industries, there will be a lot of chaff among the wheat.