• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

iPhone 5S/6?

Started by KingIsaacLinksr, April 04, 2013, 12:07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ktrek

Quote from: Feathers on September 06, 2013, 04:01:25 PM
Wow. If they go with a bigger screen then I'm outta here! (Or I'll get an 'old' iPhone 5 and live with that until it dies or I do).

There's no way on this earth that I want a screen much bigger than that of the 4 I currently have. I'll accept a bit longer but wider would be a killer. I guess my view may change in future but I can't see it at the moment.

Well, you definitely are not the status quo. We are not selling but one I5 for every ten Samsung Galaxy S4s right now, and that doesn't even include the HTC Ones, Moto Xs etc. etc. At least 1/4 of those are people who are leaving Apple because of the benefits of the the larger screen and superior performance of the Galaxy S4. Apple is losing ground every day and if they want to gain some of it back they need to come up with a larger screen. There are too many things that phones do now that the smaller screens do not make good sense. And if anyone thinks that people are gonna be so impressed that the new phone "might" have a fingerprint scanner then they just live in a fantasy world. When I talk to people looking at phones they poo poo the idea and many are disappointed that Apple isn't moving to a larger screen. If all you guys do is read the geek hype online for your information you ought to get out here and deal with the public that's buying these phones on a daily basis like I do. It might help your perspectives!

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Feathers

Oh, I fully accept that the market is moving this way fast but, at the moment, it's simply not what I want. It's interesting to hear the perspective from the 'real world' though.

Now, I said I had no use for an iPad and I'm writing this reply on an iPad mini so my views do change but, at the moment, this is where I stand.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Dangelus

Rico

I see that thumbprint reader is in there like I had heard.  Start collecting those prints of your closest friends.  :)

Dangelus

It's really telling how little fuss their has been with this year's iPhone upgrades.

I think they've fine a good job with the 5S, a nice upgrade from the 4 series of you need one. I like the new shell and colours too.

Press coverage seems focused on the 5C though. We know one thing, the C didn't stand for cheap! Tech commentators are speculating that if this phone is an attempt to increase market share in emerging markets then Apple are going to struggle.

Should be an interesting Q4! :)

Rico

I think these mid cycle upgrades are like that. Plus, many of the changes were known already. Lastly, many people seem to just get every other new version since people generally can't get a new phone every year.  I wish work would give us more choice in a phone. These Nokia Windows phones are pretty bad. But hey, it's free.

billybob476

I said this with the 5 a s well, looking around at the market it seems we've gotten to the point where the huge leaps of innovation are done. I can't recall the last phone announcement (be it iOS, android, windows phone , blackberry or otherwise) that cursed a sensation.

We're at a point where we are simply iterating to the next incremental step, jut like pc hardware is. New generation of intel CPUs? Great, put them in my next pc, no need for a world shattering event.

Jobydrone

I'm seriously considering leaving the Apple ecosystem for good...not for any particular reason, although I have had pretty bad luck with my iPhone and iMac as far as needing repairs and such (my launch iPad is still operating perfectly though). But there are just products out there that I am more interested in feature and price wise.  I find the Galaxy Note series of phones very appealing with the huge screen as a potential replacent when I  ready to replace this iPhone. For a new tablet, I want something that runs
Windows apps and can play WoW and other less intense games. And my first purchase will be a new home computer, and it will definitely be a better system for gaming.  I do love the seamless ways iPad, iPhone, and iMac all interact currently, but I think that experience wouldn't be too dissimilar with non Apple devices.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Bryancd

Yes, it was certainly a mixed bag. I think the thumbprint recognition system is the most interesting. The biometric identification system for making payments is a HUGE potential market and if Apple makes this work well, it opens the door to secure thumbprint payment serives, which is a bit of a Holy Grail in the tech space right now. I am most dissapointed there was no announcement of a deal with China Mobile.

X

Quote from: Jobydrone on September 11, 2013, 05:23:55 AM
I'm seriously considering leaving the Apple ecosystem for good...not for any particular reason, although I have had pretty bad luck with my iPhone and iMac as far as needing repairs and such (my launch iPad is still operating perfectly though). But there are just products out there that I am more interested in feature and price wise.  I find the Galaxy Note series of phones very appealing with the huge screen as a potential replacent when I  ready to replace this iPhone. For a new tablet, I want something that runs
Windows apps and can play WoW and other less intense games. And my first purchase will be a new home computer, and it will definitely be a better system for gaming.  I do love the seamless ways iPad, iPhone, and iMac all interact currently, but I think that experience wouldn't be too dissimilar with non Apple devices.
It's not that dissimilar. I have a windows phone, surface, laptop, desktop, and xbox. The level of integration is pretty nice. I find it pretty convenient to pull up work documents I left on my home PC to my phone at a moment's notice.

Bryancd

The Trojan Horse many are missing about this mid-term upgrade is the potential of the fingerprint ID. for a number of years now, a lot of companies have been trying to create a biometric based payment system. in other words no more cash, no more credit cards. You just use a fingerprint to make a purchase at a retail store. If Apple can make people feel comfortable that this technology can secure their phones and personal info on their phones, then what is to stop then from creating an ap where you can use your iPhone to make purchases using your fingerprint as authorization? Compelling.

X

Quote from: Bryancd on September 11, 2013, 04:01:39 PM
The Trojan Horse many are missing about this mid-term upgrade is the potential of the fingerprint ID. for a number of years now, a lot of companies have been trying to create a biometric based payment system. in other words no more cash, no more credit cards. You just use a fingerprint to make a purchase at a retail store. If Apple can make people feel comfortable that this technology can secure their phones and personal info on their phones, then what is to stop then from creating an ap where you can use your iPhone to make purchases using your fingerprint as authorization? Compelling.
I don't know how well it will work. There are tons of laptops already out there with fingerprint scanners. It's not exactly reinventing the wheel here and I think too many people are really concerned about someone having their finger prints on some file. Just imagine the privacy issues when the database is taken with a warrant and added to CODIS for some criminal investigation.

Bryancd

Quote from: X on September 11, 2013, 04:41:49 PM
Quote from: Bryancd on September 11, 2013, 04:01:39 PM
I don't know how well it will work. There are tons of laptops already out there with fingerprint scanners. It's not exactly reinventing the wheel here and I think too many people are really concerned about someone having their finger prints on some file. Just imagine the privacy issues when the database is taken with a warrant and added to CODIS for some criminal investigation.

Yes, but laptops are not portable devices and is Apple can demonstrate that it is a secure system and only based on their device hardware, you have a game changer.

Dangelus

Laptops aren't portable devices?

To expand the use of this device then users would have to trust Apple to store their fingerprint in the cloud, which they area currently claiming is not happening. A little confusing because in sure there was mention of using this system for purchases in Apple stores.

Bromptonboy

I think I read that the prints are only stored in a secure area on the A7 chip....no doubt in a place even the NSA cannot access...   ;)
Pete