• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

iPhone 5S/6?

Started by KingIsaacLinksr, April 04, 2013, 12:07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

I first heard about the print reader a few weeks back on the Twit podcast. Guy seemed to have a reliable inside Apple source.

Feathers

Is this the generation I'll end up updating my iPhone 4 to? Probably...

The question is, do I get a 5S or go for one of the new 'cheap and cheerful' versions?

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Meds

As uusl i would hold out till they fix all the teething problems. They really need to sort out the print ability. Annoys me something rotten having to put stuff i want to print out into a different app for it to work on my epsom printer.

Dangelus

Quote from: Feathers on September 04, 2013, 09:08:38 AM

The question is, do I get a 5S or go for one of the new 'cheap and cheerful' versions?

The cheap and cheerful version may only be for emerging markets...

Feathers

Quote from: Dangelus on September 04, 2013, 02:20:23 PM
Quote from: Feathers on September 04, 2013, 09:08:38 AM

The cheap and cheerful version may only be for emerging markets...

Hey, I moved house last year and that cost money. I'm only just emerging back into the market now, doesn't that qualify me? ;)

Jobydrone

The ad they're using to promote the announcement says "This should brighten everyone's day" so I'd be very surprised if the new colors are only available in say, China or something.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Dangelus

You'll just have to be patient and wait for the 10th to find out :)

Not an Apple user so I have no horse in this race but I hope what they have to show is a little more exciting than the fact they've finally discovered colours. It will be interesting to see what they include in the rumoured cheap(er) iPhone and what the consider to be cheap lol.

Jobydrone

The rumors are it's an iPhone 5 in a plastic shell.  I'd be very surprised if it's any less powerful than that because they want everyone to be able to utilize the benefits of iOS 7 and be able to run all the new apps, because of course the real money makers are in the app store.  My guesses are one sku only, in multiple colors, with 16GB flash memory, and $99 + 2yr contract for the "cheap phone".
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Dangelus

Quote from: Jobydrone on September 05, 2013, 10:50:58 AM
The rumors are it's an iPhone 5 in a plastic shell.  I'd be very surprised if it's any less powerful than that because they want everyone to be able to utilize the benefits of iOS 7 and be able to run all the new apps, because of course the real money makers are in the app store.  My guesses are one sku only, in multiple colors, with 16GB flash memory, and $99 + 2yr contract for the "cheap phone".

That would be pretty attractive to quite a few people still on the fence. I think they need to go with a bigger screen on the 5S.

Jobydrone

Quote from: Dangelus on September 05, 2013, 11:06:06 AM
Quote from: Jobydrone on September 05, 2013, 10:50:58 AM
That would be pretty attractive to quite a few people still on the fence. I think they need to go with a bigger screen on the 5S.
I agree with both those statements, though I'm not sure we'll see a bigger screen this time around.  I'd like one though, and it's about the only feature that could convince me to upgrade.  The size increase in the most recent iteration was not that noticeable and for most gaming, I think the screen is still way too small to be enjoyable.  If you think about it, they always offer deep discounts on the previous models whenever a new iteration of the iPhone is released.  I think the "cheap iPhone" will mirror that policy in every way.

Dangelus

Yeah you're probably right and the bigger screen will come with iPhone 6. It's a dangerous game Apple are playing though. I don't think there is another premium smartphone manufacturer that is still on that size screen...

Ktrek

Quote from: Dangelus on September 05, 2013, 12:40:24 PM
Yeah you're probably right and the bigger screen will come with iPhone 6. It's a dangerous game Apple are playing though. I don't think there is another premium smartphone manufacturer that is still on that size screen...

Actually I think HTC One Mini might be close.
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Dangelus

Quote from: Ktrek on September 05, 2013, 01:28:59 PM
Quote from: Dangelus on September 05, 2013, 12:40:24 PM

Actually I think HTC One Mini might be close.

Yeah that's my point. All other phones that size that are not budget phones are called 'mini' which by implication means the screen size is reduced from the standard size these days.

Feathers

Wow. If they go with a bigger screen then I'm outta here! (Or I'll get an 'old' iPhone 5 and live with that until it dies or I do).

There's no way on this earth that I want a screen much bigger than that of the 4 I currently have. I'll accept a bit longer but wider would be a killer. I guess my view may change in future but I can't see it at the moment.