• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Clone Wars canceled?

Started by Bryancd, March 10, 2013, 06:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryancd

Shame if true. Although the financial considerations of a publicly traded company are vastly different from a privately held one like LucasFilm was. As an Investment Advisor and Disney shareholder, I think it was the correct call. As a fan I am disappointed.

http://jedinews.co.uk/news/news.aspx?newsID=10825

billybob476

Hopefully we get to see the shows that have been done and they segue us into Ep 3.

Rico

Yeah, if they don't have these show up on air hopefully we will get them on DVD/Blu-Ray.  I'd still love a "Star Wars" animated series set in some time frame that doesn't have the movie baggage with it.  Either during the Old Republic era or way in the future (like the Legacy comics).

billybob476

Here's the official line:

QuoteAs we enter into an exciting new era focused on the next Star Wars trilogy, Lucasfilm has decided to pursue a new direction in animated programming. We are exploring a whole new Star Wars series set in a time period previously untouched in Star Wars films or television programming. You can expect more details in the months to come.

As part of this shift, we have also made some key decisions affecting Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Star Wars Detours.

After five highly successful and critically acclaimed seasons of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, we feel the time has come to wind down the series. While the studio is no longer producing new episodes for Cartoon Network, we're continuing production on new Clone Wars story arcs that promise to be some of the most thrilling adventures ever seen. Stay tuned for more information on where fans can soon find this bonus content. In the video below, Supervising Director Dave Filoni offers a peek of what is to come in Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

At Star Wars Celebration VI last year, George Lucas gave fans a glimpse at the animated comedy series Star Wars Detours from Seth Green, Matthew Senreich, and Todd Grimes. Detours was conceived and produced before we decided to move forward with the new Star Wars trilogy, and in the wake of that decision, Lucasfilm has reconsidered whether launching an animated comedy prior to the launch of Episode VII makes sense. As a result, we've decided to postpone the release of Detours until a later date.

We are incredibly proud of the teams at Lucasfilm Animation for creating some of the most amazing animation ever produced for TV. Keep checking StarWars.com for new developments on these and future projects.

http://starwars.com/news/a-new-direction-for-lucasfilm-animation.html

Rico

Hey - they stole my idea!  Wasn't I just talking about a new animated SW series set in another time period?  :)

jedijeff

Sorry to hear it was cancelled. I have not seen this season yet as waiting for it to come out on Blu-Ray, so hopefully they release that sooner then later if they don't have any new seasons to promote. Looking forward to whatever they have planned for the future.

Bryancd

Yeah there is a lot of misplaced negativity online about this. The show was terrific but it had a great run. I think they should release some of the final episodes to tie up some loose ends and bring us closer to EpIII and that sounds like the plan.

KingIsaacLinksr

Hmm, wonder where you'll be able to see the final episodes...
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Dangelus

It's no surprise that they wind down these projects. Probably easier than trying to transfer all these properties to the Disney channels is to start new shows from scratch avoiding current deals and licensing etc.

Rico

Quote from: KingIsaacLinksr on March 11, 2013, 06:33:22 PM
Hmm, wonder where you'll be able to see the final episodes...

Most likely online at some point and then DVD/Blu-Ray.

Feathers

We're still waiting for S5!

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Geekyfanboy

Really bummed about this news. I understand why they are doing it but it doesn't make it any better. I'm going to miss getting me weekly dose of Star Wars.

I hate to say this but this is only going to add fuel to the fire that Disney is going to screw up the Star Wars franchise. First they "postpone" the release of episodes 2 & 3 in 3D. Then they pull Clone Wars (even though there are more episodes to air), the indefinitely postpone Star Wars Detours (sounds like it's coming out after Ep 7) and they pulled the plug on game Star Wars 1313. There will more then likely be no new Star Wars until the release of Ep 7 in 2015. And like I said I know why they are doing it, to build the hype and get away from the prequel era. I just wish they would have done it more gradually and not all at once. And for the record I think Disney was a great move for the Star Wars franchise and I think what comes next from Star Wars will be awesome.